• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Miclavender

Miclavender

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:56 PM

Hey all, today I noticed a few light green fuzzy patches starting to form on my cakes. The spots were originally gray up until today. Sucks before pins are just beginning to form. I believe that it might be trichoderma, but it is kind of early for me to be able to tell. Hoping to figure it out before it potentially spreads to other cakes. What do y'all think?IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1651.JPG IMG_1655.JPG

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,436 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:26 AM

Yup sorry you got the dreaded trich. Usually happens with improper sterilization but because it happened so late with you it was most likely birthed to early and the was a spot still uncolonized. Happens a lot too when people try to force their cakes to pin prematurely and they sit weeks in the FC waiting for pins rather than letting them pin first before introducing fruiting conditions

#3 Miclavender

Miclavender

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:40 AM

Dang well that sucks, probably gonna have to completely restart everything. When is it best to induce fruiting conditions? I usually keep my terrarium at 70 degrees and close to 100% humidity. There have been issues with this grow as all cakes have been in my during chamber for over a month, and they are just now pinning. After complete inoculation I did not dunk, and then my cakes dried out. I did end up dunking however after I was informed by someone here that they were dried out. It's all been a real long process full of learning and patience.

#4 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:26 AM

Definitely quarantine it away from any other ones you are growing. Those green spores are a huge pain in the ass to clean out of your growing area. If it's just that spot you can try misting the patch causing saturation to the spores. Take a scalpel and cut about a centimeter around it. If you go this route make sure you take it outside and disturb the green spores on the cake the least amount as possible.

Some more cautious then me would tell you to toss it and start over. It very well might be too late you might perform 'surgery' on the cake then then the next day you look at it and BAM it's all green however their is a slight chance it's isolated and you might be able to slice it away.

After a few perfect grows I messed up making some syringes and cause mass trich contamination myself about two weeks ago. I ended up losing 10lbs of grain. Now I figured out my mistake and I'm back to contain free growing. It happens to everyone l...

Good luck

#5 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:32 AM

Actually l, disregard my last statement ^^^^^. Some of those cakes have multiple spots. Your most likely facing a total lose. In pic #5 it appears like you have contams on multiple spots of the cake. It they are all in the same FC they one would expect a mass contamination.

Spray them good so that spores don't fly around while moving them and just toss them.

Just my opinion.

Good luck

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,436 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:24 PM

Dang well that sucks, probably gonna have to completely restart everything. When is it best to induce fruiting conditions? I usually keep my terrarium at 70 degrees and close to 100% humidity. There have been issues with this grow as all cakes have been in my during chamber for over a month, and they are just now pinning. After complete inoculation I did not dunk, and then my cakes dried out. I did end up dunking however after I was informed by someone here that they were dried out. It's all been a real long process full of learning and patience.

Even the original PF Tek specifies to birth the cakes when you start to see pins in the jar. I totally agree for the same reason mentioned above. While in the jar still is comparable to being in a nice comfy womb. They still have the filter and minimal moisture loss. I see this happening so often when people birth them prematurely only for the cakes to sit in the fruiting chamber drying out. Especially many Newbs that still insist that SGFC’s are the only way to do it. With so many holes in them cakes dry out very fast. Even if they a packed full which personally is the only time I think SGFCs are effective.
The mycelium will be ready to fruit when it’s ready. It will tell you by consolidating and forming knot. Different strains fruit faster than others so because someone reports waiting 10 day for example after what they perceive as 100% colonized it could take much longer for another strain. Those are just guidelines the people post. Sometimes if you have aggressive fruitier it could take less time and one may get away with trying Force Fruit them. Some strains like albinos and PE are just notoriously slow and the one week to ten days is just bad avice. By waiting for primordia or pins that takes out the guess work. You know it’s ready and wants to fruit. Then you eliminate the extra time exposed to the elements of drying out and picking up contamination. Either way one still has to wait which I know that can be difficult when it’s so exciting to watch them grow, but waiting in the comfort of the jar or waiting in a fruiting chamber, which do you think hold the least risk for your babies?
Most of my grow are bulks in 6qt tub, to do however do cakes to test Spore syringe and LC cleanliness. Either way I had way better results leaving the closed up in their original container until I see pins, instead of thinking that anything I do is actually going to make them ready on my command. By introducing fresh air and decreased CO2 to a Substrate that is already pinning, with the evaporation it will help reduce the temperature. Along with light all are triggers to let the primordia to mature in to Mushroom. None of those triggers do anything beneficial until the mycelium is ready. We are fools if we think we can command mycelium to be ready.

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#7 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:55 PM

Please keep trying, you'll get it eventually, I would assume NOT dunking when birthed was the problem, especially if your furnace or heater is running near your FC, the air is dry as hell. 

I have birthed cakes before there were any pins and they pinned within two weeks, and the more common answer you'll get is not to wait until you see pins in the jar, it's to wait a week to ten days after the myc has completely covered the brf/verm(not the top verm layer) and all you see is myc.

That's not to say waiting to birth until you see pins in the jars isn't a good idea, but it is not what most people or teks say, I have never read the original PF tek, but I've seen at least 4 versions(including the most well known, the "lets grow mushrooms" vid, and all of them say to birth "a week to ten days after full/100% colonization", and to soak for 24 hrs, then roll in verm.

#8 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:00 PM

In fact, most teks say that IF you see pins when you first birth the cake, that you should remove any pins so they don't rot and contam.

I do believe that is what he said in the "Let's Grow Mushrooms" video.

Regardless, it would be a good idea to wait, at least until you see the cake starting to shrink away from the glass a lil bit before birthing.

Edited by Billcoz, 03 December 2018 - 04:03 PM.

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,436 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:09 PM

That's not to say waiting to birth until you see pins in the jars isn't a good idea, but it is not what most people or teks say, I have never read the original PF tek, but I've seen at least 4 versions(including the most well known, the "lets grow mushrooms" vid, and all of them say to birth "a week to ten days after full/100% colonization", and to soak for 24 hrs, then roll in verm.

That is exactly why they come here to fix the issue or want to know why the SGFC isn’t working so good. It can work to follow those regurgitated guidelines, and I’m not saying you won’t have success if you do. But if you wait like suggested the cake will have much better odds and in most case a better yield. 

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2018 - 04:51 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#10 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:11 PM

In fact, most teks say that IF you see pins when you first birth the cake, that you should remove any pins so they don't rot and contam.

Regardless, it would be a good idea to wait, at least until you see the cake starting to shrink away from the glass a lil bit before birthing.

I strongly disagree. Don't scrape your pins. Read Mikey's response about the original PF tek. They will not contam and rot if they are still growing. They will likely survive the dunk. Even if they are aborts, they will be fine for quite some time. If they turn black, maybe pick them off, otherwise don't worry about it.

Edited by PinkMenace, 03 December 2018 - 04:12 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#11 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

I strongly disagree. Don't scrape your pins. Read Mikey's response about the original PF tek. They will not contam and rot if they are still growing. They will likely survive the dunk. Even if they are aborts, they will be fine for quite some time. If they turn black, maybe pick them off, otherwise don't worry about it.

I agree with you but that is what most of us learn, most guides say wait 7-10 days, and for me, already formed pins usually just die anyways, though I haven't had any contam probs from it.

Edited by Billcoz, 03 December 2018 - 05:14 PM.

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:55 PM

That's just wrong. Pf tek calls for birthing after pinning. In fact PF would have told you the more primordia at birthing the better the first flush.

Birthing before pinset is to no advantage, and probably slow down the process overall.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#13 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:51 AM

That's just wrong. Pf tek calls for birthing after pinning. In fact PF would have told you the more primordia at birthing the better the first flush.

Birthing before pinset is to no advantage, and probably slow down the process overall.

I didn't say that the original PF tek says that, I never read the original PF tek, I said that the guy on the "Let's Grow Mushrooms" video said that, if youd like I could find the exact time in the vid, and I said those vids are where most of us are told to learn.

He said that after full colonization, the jars have to consolidate for a week, if you birth it without letting it consolidate, it will just sit there for a week and do nothing anyway.

He did not say ANYTHING about waiting to see pins.

And I never said there was any advantage to birthing before pins, I just said that most of us learned that a week to ten days is how long you wait to birth after 100% colonized.

Edited by Billcoz, 04 December 2018 - 06:57 AM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#14 Miclavender

Miclavender

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for all of the responses and guidance. I have cut the top half of each cake off (where the contamination was located). Seem to be doing well so far. Will continue to fan often and keep the temperature at 70 degrees to keep mold growth slow (if there still is contamination). Another one of my cakes starting pinning in multiple spots a few days ago. Seems like I need to relook my process on my next grow. Most likely going to try a few methods that were suggested to find which works best for me.IMG_1663.JPG image.jpg
  • Billcoz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!