• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dayzed

dayzed

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:06 PM

One and a half months later i have a flush!

Here are the results of the better one of two cakes

DSC06851 - Copy.JPG

i have a couple questions though.

I had two cakes and one of the two was really slow to flush and the mushrooms were small and seemed to stop growing a couple days in. I misted and fanned twice daily. any thoughts on why that would happen?

What does rolling in vermiculite do when fruiting? Ive seen this done but am wondering as to why it is.

#2 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:35 PM

One and a half months later i have a flush!

Here are the results of the better one of two cakes

attachicon.gifDSC06851 - Copy.JPG

i have a couple questions though.

I had two cakes and one of the two was really slow to flush and the mushrooms were small and seemed to stop growing a couple days in. I misted and fanned twice daily. any thoughts on why that would happen?

What does rolling in vermiculite do when fruiting? Ive seen this done but am wondering as to why it is.

Cool, what sub-strain? There could be a lotta reasons for a small flush, like genetics, too much or not enough humidity/fresh air exchange, temps too high or low. If the cake was turning blue then it's probably too dry, if the myc is yellow/browning it might be too moist with not enough FAE.

Did your furnace start running more(because of the weather outside) when it was flushing? That could stunt it, I had that happen, then I made it worse by over=compensating with a humidifier.

Posting pics here might help get a diagnosis.

Oh, the reason for rolling cakes in verm is that verm holds moisture and creates a micro-climate around the cake, naked myc/cakes would need the FC conditions to be more perfect so it don't dry out, SGFCs let in a lot of airflow and verm coated cakes should do better at retaining a near 100% humidity.

Edited by Billcoz, 03 December 2018 - 04:41 PM.

#3 dayzed

dayzed

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

here is the other cake.

no brownling/yellowing, a bit of blue where i touched it to put it in the FC

DSC06842 - Copy.JPG

hopefully the pic helps. I ate them yesterday after yoga and all i could think about was poses and stretching haha!!

overall i think the cake looks fine. The furnace did start running and has been through the fruiting process. It didnt seem to affect the second one.

The sub strain is Costa Rica

Edited by dayzed, 03 December 2018 - 07:28 PM.

• Soliver and Billcoz like this

#4 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:28 PM

In my experience the first flush is smaller sometimes. If conditions are optimistial then the 2nd flush should be better. I do bulk grows and if my 1st is smaller my second & third is always larger. Especially after a rehydration dunk.

The bluing is fine if it's in a spot where trauma or touching happened

#5 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:34 PM

here is the other cake.

no brownling/yellowing, a bit of blue where i touched it to put it in the FC

attachicon.gifDSC06842 - Copy.JPG

hopefully the pic helps. I ate them yesterday after yoga and all i could think about was poses and stretching haha!!

overall i think the cake looks fine. The furnace did start running and has been through the fruiting process. It didnt seem to affect the second one.

The sub strain is Costa Rica

I love to stretch when I'm comin up on a smaller dose, I can't really call it yoga, and I can't really work out under the influence, but stretching feels good at that time.

#6 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:51 PM

Looking good overall -

You're getting mushrooms, so that's tops - I like a verm layer for the aforementioned reasons - keeping a FC at perfect conditions is damn near impossible, and a verm jacket helps to pick up where we leave off.

After first flush, a good 12 hour dunk (or so) and a verm roll - back in the FC - you'll be set for round two, with luck.

:)

soliver

• Billcoz likes this

#7 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 258 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:35 AM

Couple of questions as I'm playing with PF tech. 

What size were your cakes? half pint or pint?

What was the weight on your first flush?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!