• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:37 PM

So let's just say someone wanted to get into growing a larger supply for a larger audience and needed a lot of grain spawn.

Can grain to grain transfers happen in perpetuity. Meaning say you started to grow a strain and you, your friends, and everyone around them wanted more of. Could you just skip the germination process entirely after the first time and just do grain to grain continually.

Like say I have grain that's fully colonized and then did a grain to grain transfer. Can I do more grain to grain transfers off of the original grain to grain and then keep grain to graining off the previous grain to grain. Basically just continuing the process in perpetuity.

Is this even possible or would the Mycellium get weaker, more prone to contams, or die after a certain point. Also if one was to do this process multiple times over & over would it have any negative effects on the fruiting process of those later generations of fruits.

Let me know your thoughts & insights.

As always thanks a bunch,
MM

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,425 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:46 PM

Sure if you’re clean in your technique, however look into “senescence”. You are better off continually going from a master culture to however you choose to spread it whether g2g, glc, LC ect. Going from one grain jar to another will senesce within a year or two with out changing up the food source. It will loose vigor and plus, there are just much more efficient ways to going about keep a single culture going than g2g2g2g2g2g2g.

#3 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:47 PM

In the above scenario I wanted to make clear that the g2g would only happen after the previous g2g fully colonized.

The idea is to eliminate the innoculation process and trim a few days off the grow time in situations where we know we love a particular strain.

#4 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:51 PM

I'll look into that. By changing food source do you mean like changing grain type.

Such as g2g WBS to g2g rye to g2g wheat etc?

Or are you implying something different?
I would consider myself lucky if I could kept the process going that long without introducing new syringes or spores.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#5 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:56 AM

What Coorsmickey said, "senescense" where the myc reaches a certain age and the cells can no longer replicate to grow the organism, or whatever.

#6 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:06 AM

I would consider myself lucky if I could kept the process going that long without introducing new syringes or spores.

Would LC be not an option, it seems really easy, you can use a colonized grain jar and aspirate water with some kind of nutes like karo or honey throughout the grain with a syringe, then suck it up, search for "grain liquid culture"(at least I think that's how, I haven't done it yet).

You can make a big batch in a jar with a port and a piece of broken glass in it to swirl and break it up, then suck some into a syringe and hit up your grain jars whenever you need to, it should last months.

Edited by Billcoz, 04 December 2018 - 01:07 AM.

#7 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,337 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:00 PM

Whenever I've thought of doing what you are thinking of, I've gone from a jar to a big bag (a jar to about 8lb oats).

#8 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:32 PM

^^^ Yes Scott that's EXACTLY what I did. I did a some quarts a of WBS to a HUGE Myco bag of wheat berries. It's probably pushing 8-9lbs lol. The ratio was 1x quart fully colonized grain spawn to 8lbs of sterilized grain.

I put it in my still air box. As I slowly screwed off the cap I wiped the rim with alcohol. Then I litterally cracked open the bag just large enough at the top to slip the jaw head into. Then I held the barely opened bag, with my hand, tightly around jar lid. I just did it today I'll let you know how it goes.

The only reason I switched grains is because I'm over WBS. If it works I'll be working exclusively with Hard Red Wheat Berries instead.

#9 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:58 PM

I always have good luck with WBS, but wheat berries are just a pleasure to work with.

Try growing some stones with em! Just as good, if not better than rye berries.

#10 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:45 AM

36 hours after my 1st Grain to Grain... So far so good the 8lb bag is Thai - Ban Hua Thanon and the Jars are the Orrisa India.

I'm loving grain to grain so far. I can see how a Myco addiction could turn into a real problem lol. Basically you could pump out fully colonized grain spawn as fast as you can make it with grain to grain.

I'm getting a pretty decent mid-range microscope with a picture adapter for Christmas. I can't wait to start uploading some microscopy.

Next pics will be of my fully colonized grain from my g2g

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Billcoz likes this

#11 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

Very nice!

Damn you pack your jars to the tippity top, eh?

#12 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:19 PM

No, I usually leave 15-20% empty but that empty space has been filled in from the grain to grain transfer. I did two days ago. I didn't want to waste any colonized spawn. There is still an empty spot right starting at the metallic lid.

#13 AsidDragon

AsidDragon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:47 PM

I once g2g'ed over three runs.
I guess you could do it forever. Who knows.

Would leave 1/4 space for grains and shaking.

Does strain make a difference with g2g's?

#14 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 258 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 AM

Are you sure there's 8# in that bag? That would be a lot of grain. Hope it takes. I will probably be back at doing bags but I found that if I got too greedy with bigger quantities then I got contaminants. I'm guessing my air exchange was off somehow.

And re senescence, it is reported to be a real thing. Too bad since it limits the perpetual G2G concept. But as coors said, go back to your master from time to time. Stamets' big book describes 3 or 4 G2G transfers to amplify your myc. But by then you would have thousands grain jars if you start with the 750cc of LC he describes!

And re space in jars, yes, leave about 20%. Seems a waste but makes them way easier to mix and as you noted, space for G2G and I seem to have had less contam with the extra space.

Edited by raymycoto, Yesterday, 04:31 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!