• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:04 PM

Injected this jar with spores 7 days ago and now I see this.

Should I be concerned about the other jars in the incubation chamber? They look fine now with the exception that out of the 6 jars three are not showing any signs of myc. growth.

These jars are 24oz 5-grain. Pic on the right shows the type of jar these are.

I've taken the jar outdoors and about to trash.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4636.JPG
  • quick-colonizing-jar.jpg

Edited by TheArchangel, 04 December 2018 - 03:05 PM.

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, that ones ready to be disposed of. Just keep an eye on the others.
  • TheArchangel likes this

#3 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:24 PM

Sure, it needs tossed. Starts out grey then gets powdery green. Take it outside away from any windows/air intakes and throw it away try to no get it on your cloths. It is a pain in the ass to get rid of once it's in you work station.

#4 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:36 PM

Depending on your financial / residential situation, sometimes it's easier and safer to just chuck a bad jar.

I'm incapable of throwing away a jar, but that's me.

That's definitely a bad jar.  In situations like this, I'll usually put the bad one outside in the sun, wait and see what happens to the rest ...

If they all go south, I'll open and dump 'em all inside a 5 gallon bucket of bleach water, fish out the jars and dump the rest in a quiet superfund site next to the railroad tracks (or a ditch downwind from the house).

:)

soliver

#5 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:39 AM

I took more precautions (added a uv-c light to the glove box, used alcohol lamp instead of lighter) for this batch.

These jars have the self-healing injector port, tyvek filter and small hole in the original metal disk, and I taped the injector port with alu tape after injection. The bad jar is going inside a bag then to the trash cause I wouldn't dare risk it.

I never opened the jar but do you think it may have contaminated the incubator c.? I'm about to inoculate three LC jars that are going to the incubator and well I'm already feeling paranoid about it.

Last thing I'd want is to have contaminated the incubator and ruin future projects.

About bacteria:

In a fruiting chamber, if cakes get contaminated or start to rot, or if a cake had had an abort start decaying to the point of spoil, can these problems cause contamination in the chamber that'll affect future projects? How about leaving the fruiting chamber's lid partially open, when trying to control humidity, can this cause contamination problems for future projects too?

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:09 AM

How long did you pc the grain for?

#7 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:46 PM

How long did you pc the grain for?

I have been buying them pre-made for starters.

How do I go about cleaning up this? Lysol will do it, plus some uv-c light treatment?

Edited by TheArchangel, 05 December 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#8 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

Just normal sanitation. Multi purpose household cleaner. No need to go extreme.

#9 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:20 PM

Haha!

You know what, It was definitely  the spore syringe or solution. I inoculated 6 jars in the one session. Three jars with GT and three with B+, They went to the same incubator. The three B+ jars are colonizing nicely. But the GT jars are another story. I found another contaminated jar just now. And the remaining jar is not colonizing at all. All GT jars are now out doors ready to be disposed of.

• Soliver likes this

#10 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:47 PM

Probably either the syringe or some hiccup in your innoculation tek - if you get weirdness on the syringe it can contam all your jars - did you flame the needle between jars?  If so, there's a chance it's the vendor. 

First time around, if you have any success, it's a boon ... mine didn't work until the third or fourth time around.

Also, premade jars are inherently unstable IMO - no telling what could have happened there, which batch they came from, how long they sat on a shelf before shipping, etc...

:)

soliver

#11 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:14 PM

Yes I used an alcohol lamp to flame the needle until it was getting red. Only those three jars, out of the 6 I inoculated, had issues with colonization and contamination.

Plus they were inoculated under a uv-c light in the closed glove box, which I sprayed with Lysol several times when appropriate.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!