Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Will incubating spawn bags in a tub slow down the growth due to less air flow?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,425 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:20 PM

It’s nice to have different point of views so the OP doesn’t get locked in to a single method and will continue to look for other possible factors to a solution, like Temps, genetics or even moisture which could easily explain why you may have better results with foil off. If it was to moist it may allow it dried to a better level producing faster growth.

If it’s in a sealed jar or a bag, what difference would it make if it’s in a tote or not? It must be another factor if people can grows in sealed jars. I do believe that’s how the other ideas to the OP was brought up.
The OP discuss’ contamination, incubation and less than desirable temperatures and asks if being in a tote might be the problem. People kindly suggest the idea of not needing GE, thus indicating that is most likely not the issue unless GE is inhibiting other problems. What does your foil side by side offer to the OP for advice? What is your advice?
My advice is there is other issues in the OP’s grow and everyone else’s that may need more GE to get faster growth. Find out where the problem is, because it’s not GE at this stage and foil or tub will only remedy the situation like putting a contaminated cake outside does.

edit: I can do BRF in quarts, pints and bags in a tote. I don’t remember 5th grades science because of my college science used those brain cells. If you want Hippie3 back, I have no problem putting attitudes in check Hippie3 style! Don’t make a good conversation about your fucking pussy being hurt! Hippie3 would have banned you again without even a warning!

You're 100% right it's not FAE...its GE. Completely different concepts.

The co2 is able to escape due to something known as diffusion. It's the same concept as positive and negative pressure except you're dealing with proportions of gas, in turn creating convection. The heat generated by the mycelium also help this process, bc as you know, heat, and air with it, rise! Allowing GE Aka Gas exchange in this instance. Which cannot happen in a closed system bc fungus breathe oxygen.

I'm simplifying, but am I the only one who remembers 5th grade science class?

Shake your grains all you want, they wont grow without oxygen no matter how many points of innoculation you have.

And yes, there would be some oxygen in a closed system, but it's like putting a person in a plastic bubble. He will be fine for a while, hrs, maybe even days will pass before all the oxygen will be gone, but that person WILL die, just like a tall half pint. Flip it to allow oxygen in, and it will start to grow again.

If you're not familiar with the tall half pint stalling problem, I dont believe you when you say you use them. It's a commonality that even PF noted in the beginning of the tek, and an idea that been reinforced and proven again and again. Search the vaults you'll see.

This is why you dont see people making quart jars of brf...they stall or contam before they colonize. I cant imagine this not happening on a larger scale. I no longer put my jars in totes for this reason exactly. I noticed everything in it was slower than all my bags and jars that were simply on a shelf or in a box with an open top.

I wish Hippie was here. He would know exactly what to say due to all of his invitro research and would better know how to explain it. The guy had a way with words.

But like I said, drill or cut a couple holes in the tote, clean it, and none of the factors mentioned will be a problem.

Edited by coorsmikey, 08 December 2018 - 12:02 AM.

• sandman and Billcoz like this

#22 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 94 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:34 AM

I gave the guy a clear explanation on 'my opinion' why he was failing in my first post because I had the same situation occur in Myco bags due to faulty syringes. Without knowing where he sourced his spores from I believe it to be a spore problem.

Sound like people have some passionate opinions regarding both sealed vs unsealed. It seems like some people are successfully using sealed bags/jars and most people use filter bags and jars.

IMO I'd say do what works for you and makes you happy. Unless one way is completely superior to the other.

I haven't used sealed jars yet but I have no problem doing a few 10-12lb test runs on them. I keep fairly decent numbers regarding all of my grows up till this point. I could tell you each grow I've ever done - strain, the day I innoculated, the day I seen 1st colonization, the day I shook the bags/jars, the point of 100% colonization, the day of transfer to spawn, when full substrate colonization happen, the day Hyphal knots appear, the date of each flush, and my total yield (wet & dry) from each flush down to the gram.

So for personal shits and giggles for a few runs (or maybe eternity) I'll run both my usual filter spawn and at least a 12 pack of ball sealed jars with no filter (unless the sealed ones completely flop after a few tries). I was actually getting ready to convert another 12 pack into shroomies jars anyway, so I'll hold off a few runs. I'll keep my Myco bags out of the equation because I use those for g2g.

I've been running / colonizing grain continually for the last month or so I have a pretty good read on what the averages with the standard filtered jar setup. It would be interesting to see side by side over and over and over. I know people do it both ways it would be cool to get a personal read on it. I'll make a new thread when I do it an post side by side pics. It'll be fun.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS =)

Disclaimer for big brother: All mushrooms produced will be for personal consumption

Edited by MysticalMyco, Yesterday, 02:35 AM.

#23 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 94 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:47 AM

@CM -- Oh shit I didn't see your response to the situation since it's the first post on the second page... LMAO.

But I feel the same way a sealed tote isn't the problem. I know that for a fact because currently my spawn racks are full and I've been putting my Myco bags in totes/pressure cookers/crab steamer pots just so I don't have to put Myco bags out in the open in my main house... LoL My grow room smells like a big mushroom and is overflowing with Myco bags lol.

#24 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 399 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:22 AM

I wasn't trying to have a strong opinion, my experience was definitely anecdotal, I was just sharing my experience to the op, he asked if the bin being sealed could cause the prob, I thought it might because of what I had done.

There definitely weren't enough controls to post a proper fuckin scientific study here in the thread, I don't think the OP asked for a study, I figured the he(or she) might benefit from hearing my experience.

I don't type with emotion so reading it might come across different than I mean it, I have no hard feelings here, you guys are probably all more knowledgeable than I am, so I wouldn't argue many things here, until I have done these things many times.

I wont go around trying to act too knowledgeable, though sometimes when I'm reading new content and I see something that I know about or am interested in, I might chime in, give an opinion, or less often advice.

So Magicman87, what ever happened with this?

Edited by Billcoz, Yesterday, 04:29 AM.

#25 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 400 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:33 PM

Sometimes I forget to reread my stuff. I came off as an asshole, and for that, my apologies. Bill, was I banned before? I dont remember, but the pussy comment would've gotten you a warning. I'm sorry you dont like what I have to say, but the only person with anything hurt is you. Even went back to add an insult to your post. The only reason I mentioned Hippie is bc he did this exact research for years, leading to his invitro tek. I find it insulting you use his memory to call me a pussy.

Everyone keeps referencing these closed grows...no filter no GE...can someone post a link or 2? Give evidence to support claims, not name calling.

I love being proven wrong, it makes for personal growth. These back and forths are why we have a forum, keep it classy.

Personally, I keep the lids cracked or forgo totes altogether, bc it slowed or stalled growth for me. Don't have the problem anymore.

#26 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 399 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Sometimes I forget to reread my stuff. I came off as an asshole, and for that, my apologies. Bill, was I banned before? I dont remember, but the pussy comment would've gotten you a warning. I'm sorry you dont like what I have to say, but the only person with anything hurt is you. Even went back to add an insult to your post. The only reason I mentioned Hippie is bc he did this exact research for years, leading to his invitro tek. I find it insulting you use his memory to call me a pussy.

Everyone keeps referencing these closed grows...no filter no GE...can someone post a link or 2? Give evidence to support claims, not name calling.

I love being proven wrong, it makes for personal growth. These back and forths are why we have a forum, keep it classy.

Personally, I keep the lids cracked or forgo totes altogether, bc it slowed or stalled growth for me. Don't have the problem anymore.

Did I call someone a pussy? I don't think I said that, again I have no probs with your comment or really anyone's, all I wanted was to clarify the first reply I made, then again, so I got no hard feelings(I think I said "fucking", not "pussy" lol), but when did I edit a comment to insult anyone? Please let me know..

I haven't searched but the only thing Iv'e seen un-modified lids used for was LC, but I'm sure or whoever it was that mentioned that earlier in the thread must have seen it before, I haven't, and all my lids are already modded so I'd  have to get new ones to try a sealed jar, or use tape on the holes to try.

Oh,IDK if you were banned, were you? Also I don't think you were being an asshole.

EDIT- Sorry, that was not me that said that, the paragraph you wrote looked like you were saying I said that, I did not.

Edited by Billcoz, Yesterday, 11:22 PM.

#27 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 400 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:38 PM

Saying banned "again" implies it has happened before...

But all is good. No worries. Let's keep on topic.

Yeah Lcs I can find info for no GE lids, not for any type of spawn...
  • coorsmikey and Billcoz like this

#28 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,425 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 02:03 AM

I can do some spawn tomorrow with lids that only have an a SHIP and no filter. Put them in a tote too, and let go for month. The only thing it will prove is that the the original topic, the problem isn’t the tote.
Idk if this sounds like the 5th grade science comment, I hope not but is this more about experience or what teks are readily available online?
@Billcoz Sorry for the confusion. Sounds like you may have misinterpreted comments that were between Deleena and I.

#29 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 399 posts

Posted Today, 03:25 AM

However I didn't read all those fancy books either. I could just be some internet jackass that gives you advice that kills all your mycelium.

Ha, I am definitely not claiming my level of knowledge to be those books I referenced either, I didn't understand everything that is in them, the Oss/Oeric book is pretty outdated, it was written before PF tek was known, but I re-red i more recently for fun, it's good.

The Stamets book is more in-depth, there's a lot in there I don't know well, I can memorize, but that's not understanding, that comes with experience and I'm betting you have more than I do.

I have only done a few grows, I am doing agar work currently, I'm actually on my first grain grow, popcorn, though I really have no need to fruit anything now(have a bunch dried), but I'm into it and I wanna see these 25% colo p-corn jars go to coir, in some tubs, I'm still pondering what size/kind, got a suggestion?

EDIT- The lids have GE holes lol.

Edited by Billcoz, Today, 03:29 AM.

• PJammer24 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!