• OG VIP
  • 4,323 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:05 AM

http://www.hutchpost...n-drug-charges/

Kansas man bitten by Cobra, arrested on drug charges

DECEMBER 5, 2018  BY POST STAFF 0 COMMENTS

BARTON COUNTY — Law enforcement authorities are investigating a suspect on drug charges after dispute over a snake.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-05-at-12.17.54-PM-30

Photo courtesy Great Bend Police

Just before 5p.m. Tuesday, police were notified of a subject at 1017 Taft in Great Bend who was in possession of an exotic, venomous snake in violation of Great Bend City Ordinance.

According to a media release from police, the snake was reported to have bitten the owner on Tuesday and he received medical attention for the injury.

Officers responded to the residence to investigate the complaint and they contacted 25-year-old ***** ********

During the course of the investigation, ********* admitted owning the exotic venomous snake, which was identified as a Coral Cobra.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-05-at-12.17.45-PM-15

********photo Barton County

********* refused to cooperate with the police and turn the snake over to animal control officers.

Police obtained a search warrant for the residence, located reptile which had been decapitated and buried by the owner, prior to officer’s arrival.

While executing the initial search warrant, narcotics were located in the residence. A second search warrant was obtained and executed for the illegal narcotics. Officers located evidence of cultivation and distribution of a large quantity of hallucinogenic mushrooms. Officers also located suspected marijuana and drug paraphernalia inside the residence.

Cooley was arrested and transported to the Barton County Detention Center, where he was booked in lieu of a $300,000.00 bond on requested charges of unlawful cultivation or distribution of controlled substances within 1000 feet of a school, Possession of marijuana, Possession of drug paraphernalia and no drug tax stamp

Edited by coorsmikey, 06 December 2018 - 02:29 PM.

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,340 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:19 AM

dang buddy sorry you went down.  But man that close to a school...not good 

drug tax stamp?

• Coopdog likes this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:22 AM

He chopped the head off the snake anyway!!! What a douche bag... Why didn't he just give up the snake and none of this would have happened!!

• Myc, Skywatcher and Microbe like this

#4 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,271 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:32 AM

I spent almost 30 years working in the pet industry. During that time I was often horrified how irresponsible some people could be. It seems the drive to have exotic pets is too often accompanied by a level of ego inflating stupidity.

Responsible snake owners care about the health and well being of their charges. Venomous reptiles are not pets, and a responsible owner of any, regardless of the legality, would never be so foolish or careless to be bitten, especially not more than once.

Agreed if he had just given up the snake, none of that would have happened. If he actually respected and cared for the animal, he would never have decapitated and attempted to dispose of it.

I have seen almost everything from venomous arachnids to cayman large enough to eat you, and far too many animals in the protected status kept illegally, and IMO less than 10% of the owners knew what they were doing or took the time to learn how to safely and responsibly care for these animals.......

• Myc, Coopdog and Microbe like this

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:50 AM

I am a snake guy... I have had something like 30 snakes over the years... I have birthed garter snakes, pulled a black rat snake tooth out of my hand while at the dentist (crazy coincidence), and had a smooth earth snake (species of special concern in PA) that disappeared from my large terrarium... Pretty sure the rat snake ate him...

My sister released a red rat snake (bred for special trait corn snake I believe) in my bedroom and I never found him....

I also had an 8' Burmese Python that a roommate left behind after he moved... I made the mistake of reaching into his enclosure while he was starting to molt and he bit me.... After that I got a little concerned about having an 8' python around and I sold him....

I almost bought a baby corn snake on Black Friday... I decided to hold off...

I never got into the poisonous snake thing but this guy could have saved himself a lot of trouble just by handing over the snake.... 

• Coopdog, Skywatcher, Microbe and 1 other like this

#6 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,414 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:46 PM

Been a snake guy all my life too until the last few years. I had several poisonous snakes when I was a kid, a couple of copperheads, a Cottonmouth and a small rattlesnake and was fortunate enough not to get bit by any of the venomous ones. Those cottonmouths are foul tempered mean ass snakes and there is no taming those things, they are sketchy as hell and act ferocious if you come close at all. 

Talking about birthing garter snakes I had hundreds of them as a kid but wasn't until I was an adult with kids of my own that I had that pleasure. I never kept them long because they don't eat in captivity, but my daughter found a gorgeous huge female with turquoise blue striping and I told her she could keep it IF she would get it to eat. We tried all the staples, pinkie mice, adult mice, mealworms, crickets, slugs, nothing worked. Then she found an article that said their main diet is small fish and frogs in the wild, and we went and got a dozen feeder goldfish and dumped them into a glass bowl of water in her aquarium, and she tore into them and gulped them all down like a handfull of popcorn. 

So, I had a pet garter snake for almost two years. She was in a cage by herself so here comes the mystery... she gave birth to a whole bunch of babies after being in a closed container by herself for a couple of years!  All that time we thought she was just an exceptionally large Garter snake. We found an article online that said they can hold onto their brood for a long time, and apparently that it true indeed. We freed her that summer though along with all her babies. I still see gorgeous blue striped Garters here from time to time. 

That guy in the OP probably wasn't thinking so well after having been bitten by a cobra! He probably decapitated it upon being bitten, and panicked over the law showing up. I started to say I would have gotten the jars out of there, but I have never been bit by a cobra, so I just shut up and left that alone. :) I suppose I would be prone to rash moves if I had gotten bit too. 

I finally got tired of caring for all the different pets we had and lowered the headcount down to a few cats and two dogs and plan on letting it dwindle still. We used to take care of a dozen fish tanks, several lizard and reptile tanks. birds, ferrets, damn we were nutz there for a while after getting my own home lol. Glad I grew out of that phase!

Edited by Coopdog, 06 December 2018 - 01:49 PM.

• Microbe likes this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

I have caught garter snakes with toads in their mouth more than once. I have fed them night crawlers. That's what I fed the babies almost exclusively.

• Coopdog and Microbe like this

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,580 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

The garter snakes like to eat newts, and are mostly immune to their poisonous skin secretions.  We have had some pretty big ones around the pond at times.   I have watched them feed on the newts.  But the biggest garter snake I ever saw was pushing 5 feet.  Way bigger than any other I have ever seen.  Are garter snakes supposed to get that big?  It was at the ruins of an abandoned coastal early warning radar station called, locally, Radar Ridge. 

This is part of it, and what most of it looks like now (there was still at least one building back then {30 years ago}, and I saw the snake coming out of a door):

eme-20170619-184120-1024x576.jpg

Here's a view from up there (Pacific Ocean in far distance, Long Beach Peninsula and Willapa Bay closer, and Naselle River -- the previous picture is looking upriver):

31757cf759fcfdc074965609b146aa6e.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 06 December 2018 - 05:06 PM.

• Coopdog, PJammer24 and Microbe like this

#9 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:12 PM

The garter snakes like to eat newts, and are mostly immune to their poisonous skin secretions.  We have had some pretty big ones around the pond at times.   I have watched them feed on the newts.  But the biggest garter snake I ever saw was pushing 5 feet.  Way bigger than any other I have ever seen.  Are garter snakes supposed to get that big?  It was at the ruins of an abandoned coastal early warning radar station called, locally, Radar Ridge. 

This is part of it, and what most of it looks like now (there was still at least one building back then {30 years ago}, and I saw the snake coming out of a door):

eme-20170619-184120-1024x576.jpg

Here's a view from up there (Pacific Ocean in far distance, Long Beach Peninsula and Willapa Bay closer, and Naselle River -- the previous picture is looking upriver):

31757cf759fcfdc074965609b146aa6e.jpg

Seems like he was properly raised considering he was using the door and all.... Most snakes I have met, both actual snakes and those I consider snakes, will sneak into and out of buildings in whatever manner is most discrete...

Your radar ridge story reminds me of the stone quarries near my place... The rumor is that limestone for the Lincoln memorial (or maybe it was the Washington monument) was quarried there... I don't believe that legend but the place is cool!! We ride our ATV's back there and check out the ruinous buildings that are collapsing around the place.... Truthfully, we used to ride ATV's back there.... These days I am feeling a little too old and responsible to go blowing down one of the farmers driveways, across the field, and into the woods with the farmer screaming and cursing me as I cruise by...

Edited by PJammer24, 06 December 2018 - 05:12 PM.

• Coopdog and Microbe like this

#10 HooKworm

HooKworm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:02 PM

Dude had a big ego and control issues. He’s like the guy who gets a rocket launcher and thinks he’s billy badass because he has control of something dangerous. I love snakes. I own two at the moment. Never in my life have I , nor would I, entertained the thought of owning a venomous one. And I definitely would’ve handed it over issuing as he was holding some serious things to law enforcement in the back room. To cut the snakes he off is like people who think if I can’t have you no one will. He will pay for his hubris.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!