5 replies to this topic

#1 Shellerfly

Shellerfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:12 AM

Hello!
I'm looking for some encouragement to be patient with my first attempt.
I'm growing Golden Teacher with the PFtek, and innoculated the jars on 11-10. The mycelium is strong and has definitely filled the jars, but it's been about a week since I took them out of the incubator and I still have no pins.
I feel like I'm being impatient, but it would be nice to have some encouragement or tips on getting them to show up!

Thanks so much!

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:36 AM

The interior of the cake may not have been 100% colonized. It is suggested that you don't birth the cakes to fruit until after they start to pin in the jar... Just be patient... 

The mycelium will start to fruit when the available nutrient source has been completely colonized and  rarely before... Spore production is how the organism preserves itself until a new nutrient source becomes available. There is no reason for the mycelium to start spore production as long as there are available nutrients in its current substrate....

Patience grasshopper... 

• Sikfreud likes this

#3 Shellerfly

Shellerfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:00 AM

The interior of the cake may not have been 100% colonized. It is suggested that you don't birth the cakes to fruit until after they start to pin in the jar... Just be patient...

The mycelium will start to fruit when the available nutrient source has been completely colonized and rarely before... Spore production is how the organism preserves itself until a new nutrient source becomes available. There is no reason for the mycelium to start spore production as long as there are available nutrients in its current substrate....

Patience grasshopper...

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you so much!

#4 Stametsistheman

Stametsistheman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

Ahhhh, so my pint jars that took about two months to appear colonised but still haven't pinned after another two months in the FC should be kept after all?   They seem heavy with moisture but no sign of contamination or anything... Just hold tight right? The spores were called 'Mexican Dutch King'....

Also, can a fruiting chamber be too big, or as long as the perlite and all sides of the Fc are moist it should be fine?  

Thanks 

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

Sorry to tell ya, If your cakes are 4 months old and haven't done anything they probably won't.

#6 Stametsistheman

Stametsistheman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:49 AM

Sorry to tell ya, If your cakes are 4 months old and haven't done anything they probably won't.

Hello and thank you, they are two months since inoculation and 2 months in the chamber, mycelium is gradually still taking over the casing. They are 490mm jars though, after reading here last night that the substrate won't pin until its completely full of mycelium. Does this mean that the other cakes that are about to fully colonies won't grow anything either..... Should i just throw away the culture do you think?  Any advise welcome, Thanks

Edited by Stametsistheman, 19 January 2019 - 05:50 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!