• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Psydwaiz

Psydwaiz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

I'm sure this has been answered before, I just cant seem to locate.

For those that use one, what seems to to be the go to brand/model incubator to get started?

Thanks in advance,

#2 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:38 PM

A coleman cooler, and a bottle bomb.

A bottle bomb is a Gator Aid bottle filled with water, with a fish tank heater inserted into a drilled hole in the lid.

Put this in the cooler, set the temp, voila, you have your incubator.

#3 Psydwaiz

Psydwaiz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:42 PM

thanks. have a pic by chance?

Bottle bomb not exaxtly pulling up great results on google?

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,982 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:56 PM

Try heat bomb instead
https://www.google.c...s&client=safari
  • mushit likes this

#5 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:14 PM

Oops.  Yep.  Sorry.  Heat bomb. :blush:

LOL

#6 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

I ran across this video a couple days ago from a beer brewer.

Built it yesterday. I set the temp to 73 degrees with a 1 degree trigger. When it hits 73.0 degrees, the heat source (light bulb) turns on, when it hits 74.0, the bulb goes off and the temp continues to rise to 75 on it's own.  The cycle repeats.  As in the video, I have the temp probe immersed in a 15mm x 100mm test tube of water. That's supposed to keep the temperature from excessive fluctuation.  I have the air temperature being sampled by a blue tooth thermometer/humidity device, and it shows the air temperature varying between 72 and 75, whereas the liquid is between 73 and 75 degrees.

This is handy for me since in the wintertime I have trouble getting even up to 68 degrees - summer with A/C can pose similar problems.

IMG 20190113 171938896 Sm

Glowing faintly when turned on...
IMG 20190113 171948856 Sm

Edited by spakk, 13 January 2019 - 07:34 PM.

• roc and PistolPete13 like this

#7 Cheehai

Cheehai

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

I ran across this video a couple days ago from a beer brewer.

Built it yesterday. I set the temp to 73 degrees with a 1 degree trigger. When it hits 73.0 degrees, the heat source (light bulb) turns on, when it hits 74.0, the bulb goes off and the temp continues to rise to 75 on it's own.  The cycle repeats.  As in the video, I have the temp probe immersed in a 15mm x 100mm test tube of water. That's supposed to keep the temperature from excessive fluctuation.  I have the air temperature being sampled by a blue tooth thermometer/humidity device, and it shows the air temperature varying between 72 and 75, whereas the liquid is between 73 and 75 degrees.

How big is that cooler?

This is handy for me since in the wintertime I have trouble getting even up to 68 degrees - summer with A/C can pose similar problems.

Glowing faintly when turned on...

That cooler looks so pretty :)

The heat-bomb is a great idea. I've been procrastinating making one for a white. But now that its full winter, I appreciate how important keeping the temperature in a reasonable range is to mycelial growth. I've ruined enough grain. The straw bags on the other hand are doing fine, they give off a lot more heat than grain. Got a cople soil thermometers, reads 80F on the inside of the bag and 73F on the outside.

• spakk likes this

#8 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:56 PM

Heat bombs are sorta old-school.  I stopped using them some years ago.  A cooler is all that's really needed - mycelium running produces a mild heat all on its own.  If you're in need of a warmer spot, try the top (or behind) your fridge or next to your computer box, etc.

They say your love will keep you warm, but I've tried that; all she does is complain about all the quart jars in bed and it sorta does ruin the mood.

That said, now that you have a sweet incubator, you may as well use it.  I keep beer in mine nowadays.

:)

soliver

• spakk likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!