Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Spore Suppliers, reliable spore vendors, discuss here only.

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

Poll: Community Vendor Ranking

Vote for your spore supplier

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 deepblueseawhale

deepblueseawhale

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:19 AM

I'd like to put in a good word for Tyroler Gl├╝ckspilze that was mentioned above. These guys are really friendly, have a great number of cultivation tools and spores of all sorts (including cubs). They were always also really friendly in answering all of the questions I had, including making last-minute changes to my shipping orders.

#202 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 628 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:31 PM

UK has really been cracking down on the last decade or so on all kinds of substances. If you must order over seas I would definitely lean toward prints (I would go with them anyway) because most vendors you can get a print for around $25 or a syringe for $20. But, out of that print you can make a million syringes. Yes. A million.

More like 10. Ralph has always been good to me, but the genetics of the combined efforts of our members is second to none!
  • roc likes this

#203 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,786 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:22 PM

Go to your local used bookstore and buy a box full of trash romance novels.  Slip your prints into glasine envelopes and put them in the book. Ship the book.

Another trick from your Uncle Steam...

Heh heh... :cool:

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 14 February 2019 - 11:22 PM.

• roc, bezevo and Oneyedraven like this

#204 TheBigRip

TheBigRip

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:31 PM

Hi everybody. I have read through some posts in this thread but didn't have time to read all of it.

I have ordered my first set of five different varieties of spores from the SPORESTORE and unfortunately nothing has even started to colonize after being in ideally sterile jars for more than a month. The temperature was measured at stable 25-28 C. Not one jar has gotten either mold or any microbial colonies. There was plenty of moisture. Had different medium. Corn as well as wheat berry. Few jars had coco coir. Not one of the five different varieties has colonized.

By "not colonized" I mean not that it started to grow then wilted. I mean that it didn't even start growing. Each syringe had visible floating things that looked like what spores were supposed to look like. 

I have gone through every possible thing in the process of creating mycelium jars. I cannot find anything I had done wrong. I do not know how none of the five syringes have given growth.

What is the next vendor I should give a try?

#205 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:03 AM

Hi everybody. I have read through some posts in this thread but didn't have time to read all of it.

I have ordered my first set of five different varieties of spores from the SPORESTORE and unfortunately nothing has even started to colonize after being in ideally sterile jars for more than a month. The temperature was measured at stable 25-28 C. Not one jar has gotten either mold or any microbial colonies. There was plenty of moisture. Had different medium. Corn as well as wheat berry. Few jars had coco coir. Not one of the five different varieties has colonized.

By "not colonized" I mean not that it started to grow then wilted. I mean that it didn't even start growing. Each syringe had visible floating things that looked like what spores were supposed to look like. 

I have gone through every possible thing in the process of creating mycelium jars. I cannot find anything I had done wrong. I do not know how none of the five syringes have given growth.

What is the next vendor I should give a try?

Hey, check out the poll at the top of this thread page for the most popular vendors. I have used, and had good success with TheSporeDepot.com, and they are probably the fastest and very affordable, like $15 shipped(to us), usually in 3 days or so, and they take PP/CC/crypto. The most popular vendor in the poll is Sporeworks.com.

Sorry to hear that Sporestore.com fucked over another paying sucker, they got me too so don't feel too bad. You will only NOT have success if you give up now, so please don't!

Good luck, hope you get it going soon.

Edited by Billcoz, 16 February 2019 - 02:04 AM.

• Sucondese likes this

#206 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,786 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:22 PM

Hey BigRip, good to see you on the site!

Those spores may be old or got sterilized via x-ray, UV, or other means possibly - here is what you do with the rest of the spores whilst you wait for new ones you ordered from one of the recommended vendors above: Make LC's with them and see if you get any mycelial growth in the LC (tons of teks for this on the site, use the search). That will tell you for sure if the spores are dead - and if you do get some mycelial puff-balls in the LC's then you can use a syringe and suck those up to start grains.

Ultimately you are going to want to go with Agar - as anyone here who has moved on from cakes, and spore syringes, and LC's to agar will tell you, you just don't ever want to go back because the results are so good once you go this way.

That said, LC's are a good way to test spores if you don't have Agar plates and associated equipment readily available, and that was the way I did it for about 3 years until I finally built a LF Hood.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 16 February 2019 - 12:24 PM.

• TheBigRip likes this

#207 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:48 PM

Ha, I tried to 'like' your comment but apparently there is a limit for the likes per day. That is a good idea though. I've heard few more experienced growers on some forums tell new guys not to try LCs, acting like it's something to be intimidated by, i have made one LC, and it was pretty simple. The only thing is that you still have to test em as you can't really see contams as well as on agar. 

Edited by Billcoz, 16 February 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#208 TheBigRip

TheBigRip

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:53 PM

Thank you for the very helpful comments.

#209 TheBigRip

TheBigRip

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:55 PM

Hey BigRip, good to see you on the site!

Those spores may be old or got sterilized via x-ray, UV, or other means possibly - here is what you do with the rest of the spores whilst you wait for new ones you ordered from one of the recommended vendors above: Make LC's with them and see if you get any mycelial growth in the LC (tons of teks for this on the site, use the search). That will tell you for sure if the spores are dead - and if you do get some mycelial puff-balls in the LC's then you can use a syringe and suck those up to start grains.

Ultimately you are going to want to go with Agar - as anyone here who has moved on from cakes, and spore syringes, and LC's to agar will tell you, you just don't ever want to go back because the results are so good once you go this way.

That said, LC's are a good way to test spores if you don't have Agar plates and associated equipment readily available, and that was the way I did it for about 3 years until I finally built a LF Hood.

When you say UV or X-Ray, do you mean during the shipping by the post office?

#210 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,786 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:02 PM

Yes, most likely, but could be bad handling by the business, really old spore prints they got from who knows where.

That brings up yet another reason to think seriously about becoming VIP here on the forum. You know what you are getting, you can see the results many times of the very spores you receive. Your not getting a print from someone's backyard toadstool.
  • Billcoz likes this

#211 TheBigRip

TheBigRip

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 04:38 PM

yes, I am considering the vip thing

• JustAnEyedea likes this

#212 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 628 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:11 PM

yes, I am considering the vip thing

All the cool kids are doing it.
  • SteampunkScientist likes this

#213 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

Yeah for what I'm doing The Spore Depot is hands down the winner. Between their Bitcoin discount and Coupon codes you can really make out like a bandit if you double discounts.

I have done quite a few tubs with there syringes and have had zero issues regarding contaminations.
  • roc and Billcoz like this

#214 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:29 PM

I'm getting old and lazy and am considering this option for Prepared MEA Plates

Your thoughts?

Edited by roc, 03 March 2019 - 02:30 PM.

• SteampunkScientist and deemesis like this

#215 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:26 PM

If they come clean and your budget allows, why not?

I've ordered plates. They came clean, worked great. In fact I still have 10 plates in my fridge that are still looking clean after several weeks. I'm gonna use them today probably.
  • roc likes this

#216 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,786 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

I made agar in front of a flow hood and saved my extra plates for 2 months, then gave them to a local grower for restaurant fungi. They we're all clean, and the agar part is the easy part. It's doing the spore transfer that is a bit more work. Your paying for five plates what a sleeve of 20 costs.

I'd say if don't need a lot of plates this might be the way to go, but if you're going to get 20 or more, probably better to pour your own.

Now, ignore what I said and do what you want!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 03 March 2019 - 08:03 PM.

• roc likes this

#217 roc

roc

• 7,366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

I made agar in front of a flow hood and saved my extra plates for 2 months, then gave them to a local grower for restaurant fungi. They we're all clean, and the agar part is the easy part. It's doing the spore transfer that is a bit more work. Your paying for five plates what a sleeve of 20 costs.

I'd say if don't need a lot of plates this might be the way to go, but if you're going to get 20 or more, probably better to pour your own.

I'm lacking the flow hood these days and just dabbling again so I'm thinking I may play with these.

I'll be rolling the dice with a multi-spore grow soon and pulling out some really old gear to keep cost zilch.

Could not agree with you more on the economics scale of volume and we'll see how things progress.

I appreciate everyone's input!

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#218 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:32 AM

I'm lacking the flow hood these days and just dabbling again so I'm thinking I may play with these.

I'll be rolling the dice with a multi-spore grow soon and pulling out some really old gear to keep cost zilch.

Could not agree with you more on the economics scale of volume and we'll see how things progress.

I appreciate everyone's input!

People have great success with agaar with just a SAB, just a bin with holes, or if you don't want to reck a bin, turn it upside dow. and slide it a few inches off the edge of the table and reach up underneath. Or use a big clear trash bag, they should be sterile on the inside when new, just open it and spray some lysol iaround, or rubbing alcohol, or soapy water, wipe the outside of the bag, load your shit in, and work.

Edited by Billcoz, 04 March 2019 - 11:32 AM.

• roc and SteampunkScientist like this

#219 roc

roc

• 7,366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:23 PM

I'll use a Still Air Box to work the plates but pouring in a SAB would seem to be a pain if you were going to do many.

Thanks for your input!

Edited by roc, 04 March 2019 - 12:24 PM.

#220 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:33 PM

I'll use a Still Air Box to work the plates but pouring in a SAB would seem to be a pain if you were going to do many.

Thanks for your input!

I imagine it would be haha. I have only ever done "no pour" plates in 1/2pt jars, never poured them after PCing. I mix and pour it in jars first, and leave the lids off the jars until the agar is cool, so when I put the lids on the steam has already escaped, then wipe the inside glass dry and put the lids(ship w/ ge hole covered w/micropore) then I put a folded paper towel on top of the lid(helps w/condensation) and cover with foil. Then I pc em for 45 min. 

• roc likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!