• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:16 PM

Yup, my first grain grow, I had half a bag of popcorn from years ago sitting in my cupboard, figured why not since rye is not available even at the feed store near me(I could prolly find it somewhere if I looked harder), so I'd have to order it, the feed store also said they would order it for me, but this is working, it's been 11 days for 95-100% colonization, & from what I've read about p-corn, that's not bad.

I nocced up 4 pints of popcorn on 11/30, two with wedges of B+ myc on agar, one nocced with a B+ "myc slurry" syringe I made from BRF/Water that was colonized in a 1/2 pint jar(used like agar, 1/4" deep), sterile water was aspirated over it and sucked back into a syringe, i made 3 syringes that way, which had no visible chunks of myc, just opaque, beige, thick liquid, I nocced the 3/4 full pint jar up with 2cc from the syringe.

The other p-corn pint was nocced with the whole "puck" from the same BRF/water, I just dumped what was left in the 1/2 pt jar after I aspirated it and made the slurry syringes, 

All the pint jars were showing growth in like a day and a half but the one had a GIANT glob of BRF/Myc that damn near filled the jar so I was not able to get the glob to the bottom of the jar. until I shook it a few days after noccing(took a while to get the hang of shaking the glob to the bottom), that jar was colonized in 7 days(again the glob of myc was HUGE), I broke it up & shook it because it looked like it would be hard to break up if i waited any longer.

The slowest was the one from the "slurry" syringe thing, I just wanted to test my experiment, the syringes are un-contammed,not sure how long they are viable, it's BRF colonized with B+ myc in water, I made 3 syringes of it(I was playing around).

Yesterday(12/10) I checked em and the two from wedges and one from the BRF glob were 95-100%, I shook those, I left the slower "syringe" one alone, it's at 80% or so, hasnot been shook at all.

The first pic is the "myc syringe" jar, next is the one with the whole glob of BRF/myc before shaking(12/10), and last is from a small agar wedge after shaking, before shaking it was all white-

IMG_20181211_111354.jpg IMG_20181211_054555.jpg IMG_20181211_054504.jpg              

I still have to get a couple small tubs to fruit these in, I'm thinking two mid-sized monos, or maybe one biggun, IDK yet, I got a couple days at least to decide, if anyone has any cool alternative fruiting chamber designs they like, i'd like to hear about em, please post links here.

THX!

• vork21, JACKOLANTERN and LegoMyego like this

#2 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:03 PM

I am just loving growing in bags. Spawn that to some kind of poo coir verm mix inside the bag, seal it up, fruits in about 2 weeks.

I'm sure you've seen a few of my results, and corn was used in some.

Just one of many suggestions that are gonna come in.

I've also liked mini dub tubs in the past. 6qts. The usual design 2 holes per side on top 2 per side on bottom covered with tyvek or polyfil.

Those pints are pretty much the perfect amount of spawn for a 6qt, too.
  • Billcoz likes this

#3 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

Yup, I've seen yer pics, awesome, but I might not be fruiting any for a while afterthese jars, well maybe, but I was looking at one of your pics yesterday and thinking that is much better.

I have to choose a damn tub and buy it, all the ones I have(not in use) are full of shot gun holes, I might just wrap my big SG with plastic and put regular monotub holes in it, then again I could use that bin for storing some of these goddamn supplies I've been accumulating for this hobby lol, it's quite a bit of stuff.

I'm fascinated by "marthas", but I don't have $ right now for a tent, or shelf to wrap with plastic, though sometimes people near my house throw stuff like that away, leaving em on the side of the road, I've seen those plastic shelves.

I would wrap it completely but put holes for each shelf at the levels they'd be at on a mono and just use trays, and fan/mist if need be, then i'd gradually gather the supplies to automate it, humidifier, fan(I have), thermo/humidistat etc.

On the other hand, I like the minis cuz they are so portable, I might just get two 20 quarts or something.

Hey thanks for the reply.

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:29 PM

Oh yeah, I wanted to show off the cool little jars I found, I'll use em for liquid cultures when I get a nice, fat fruit to clone, then grow out on agar and then make the LC(got my plans together)-IMG_20181211_145249.jpg IMG_20181211_151140.jpg

They are Ball brand decorative salt & pepper shakers, I found em in my storage room in a Ball box-set that also came with a huge storage jar with a non-sealing lid and three pint sized drinking/lemonade jars with handles & plastic straws, with regular sized, non-sealing lids with straw holes and rubber inserts for the straws-

I'm not sure that they're actually "safe for processing"(PC), but i think these small "s & p" ones are fine, the lids are sorta thin, but not painted like the pint/lemonade lids, and I don't know that the rubber straw inserts would survive the PC, or it would make a good port to stuff with polyfil. The rubber would hold poly in place and seal against it, so I might try a dry run in the PC to see if they break or if the lids melt-IMG_20181211_174938.jpg

I am gonna use the salt & pepper jars for LC(like I said), they only hold a half a cup, the top line is 150 ml, but I don't need that much LC anyways, I'll just be making a few syringes probly.

The lids are 1 piece, with "sprinkler" holes(around 1/16"), and I drilled a 1/4" hole in each in the centers, put two even layers of micropore tape on the whole top(with a hole poked through the center), and put red RTV in the center hole for self healing ports-IMG_20181211_142022.jpg

There are some 1/16" holes covered by the RTV but there are 8 holes around the center port for GE, though LC don't require much, there wont be that much through the tiny holes covered with 2 layers of micropore.

I have a bottle of Karo, & I'm outa honey, so that's what I'll be using at 4%, I think the jars would hold 100 ml and leave room for boiling, so I'll add 4 ml Karo to that, and I have some 16 gauge, 1 1/2" long needles to get low in the jar, I might add a mini-marble, or a stainless steel ball to swirl and break the myc up if needed.

I feel like I post a lot on here, I want to get my first attempts at various steps logged for my own referrence, so I might as well post it if I'm writing it, besides, I don't do much else, this and work(& play drums).

And again, any advice or links relating to LCs or anything useful(or not) is much appreciated, thx guys.

Edited by Billcoz, 11 December 2018 - 06:31 PM.

#5 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:25 PM

I bought a set of these weird dark, clear plastic tops with holes for the straw, made by ball. The straw was made of the same material as the cap and the cap surprisingly survived a 90min PC session no prob.

Cant see why the straw wouldn't.

#6 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:29 AM

I bought a set of these weird dark, clear plastic tops with holes for the straw, made by ball. The straw was made of the same material as the cap and the cap surprisingly survived a 90min PC session no prob.

Cant see why the straw wouldn't.

Well, I meant the rubber insert for the straw hole might melt, I thought it would be a good port for polyfil.

I wouldn't need to PC the straw, but the jars would be nice with the handles, plus my PC in only an 8 quart, it's too short to hold hold quart jars(actually 2 can fit, but they come VERY close to the pressure regulator thing on the inside of the lid when closed.

I don't mind pints, I will never have a need for huge grows, I can mix pints together to spawn bigger tubs/trays.

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,110 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:51 AM

I like using the bags... using multiple bags rather than one big tub allows me to isolate contams more easily.. If one bag starts showing something less than savory, I can just pull it off the shelf and get rid of the issue without impacting the rest....

#8 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:19 PM

I like using the bags... using multiple bags rather than one big tub allows me to isolate contams more easily.. If one bag starts showing something less than savory, I can just pull it off the shelf and get rid of the issue without impacting the rest....

So I would just mix up the sub/spawn and load it into a bag, then roll the air out and clip it shut for 10 days? Then open and fan? Would I close the top of the bag with it upright? Does it need FAE holes, or just a filter hole?

Obviously I'd need to read a tek or something for spawning from jars to bags, but I'm intrigued, the space issue is huge, the problem would be ordering some bags, I am broke(I K theyr cheap), I will be trying to think of another type of bag that would work, and stand kinda upright, oh well, thanks for the suggestion.

Do you use unicorn bags?

PJ, could you recommend a tek and give a link? Thanks man.

Edited by Billcoz, 12 December 2018 - 02:20 PM.

#9 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,110 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:53 PM

So I would just mix up the sub/spawn and load it into a bag, then roll the air out and clip it shut for 10 days? Then open and fan? Would I close the top of the bag with it upright? Does it need FAE holes, or just a filter hole?

Obviously I'd need to read a tek or something for spawning from jars to bags, but I'm intrigued, the space issue is huge, the problem would be ordering some bags, I am broke(I K theyr cheap), I will be trying to think of another type of bag that would work, and stand kinda upright, oh well, thanks for the suggestion.

Do you use unicorn bags?

PJ, could you recommend a tek and give a link? Thanks man.

I can look around for a tek but it is really no different than spawning to a tub...

Prepare substrate

Throw substrate in bag

mix in contents of spawn jar

clip the top of the bag

wait patiently

Don't take all the air out of the bag. I just roll the top of the bag a couple times and clip it shut. I use these   paper-clip.jpg

Once everything is mixed and the top of the bag is clipped, I just set them on the shelf and wait for them to fruit.... Here is a thread where you can see how the bags have plenty of air in them... 

https://mycotopia.ne...lk-invitro-bag/

You may or may want to provide a little extra FAE... Sometimes I add additional FAE and sometimes I don't... It all depends on my time constraints at the time and also on the type of filter I have on the bags... If I am using .2 micron bags, I like to add some more FAE if I can... You may also want to burp the bags and provide some FAE that way. You can see in the photos how MLB provided additional FAE using polyfil....

I will look for a  decent tek but like I said, its pretty much turning the bag into a tub and then not opening the bag until they fruit for true invitro....

Edited by PJammer24, 12 December 2018 - 05:04 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,110 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:04 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...15-sandbag-tek/

#11 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:53 PM

If you go through most of my grows (just to to my profile and look where I posted about invitro) you'll see I spawn to bulk in bags and get amazing results even with MS.

No misting or fanning or extra holes. Just the one provided on the bag.

Here's my most recent from a few days ago.

https://mycotopia.ne...g/#entry1389250

Edited by Deleena24, 12 December 2018 - 04:55 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#12 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:08 AM

Thanks so much, I will be trying if I can find some bags that are the right size and durable enough, like I said I'm too broke to order em, how long after full colonization can I wait to spawn these?

I imagine it's alright except it would be hard to break up if it sits too long, correct?

Edited by Billcoz, 13 December 2018 - 12:10 AM.

#13 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,110 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:26 AM

If it sits too long it will chew up the nutrients and the mycelium will get unhealthy... it gets rubbery... at that point you have way more serious problems than how hard it is to break up... Its simply no longer healthy enough to properly colonize and produce maximally....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:47 AM

It's been 14 days since i inoculated, they're not quite ready, they were 100% on 12/10-12/11, so they'll be good to spawn in a few days, I would think a week after that they would still be alright still in the jar right?

#15 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:57 PM

Thanks so much, I will be trying if I can find some bags that are the right size and durable enough, like I said I'm too broke to order em, how long after full colonization can I wait to spawn these?

I imagine it's alright except it would be hard to break up if it sits too long, correct?

I wait like 3 days after 100% colonization to spawn to bulk, just to make sure the middle is good. I picked that grow to show you because it was 1pt of corn, just like you're using, spawned to 1lb of poo. I think 1lb is about 1 quart, so about 1 to 2 ratio.

I've had spawn sit for over a month, and if the substrate you're spawning to is properly hydrated, I haven't seen a difference.

If you still have some space in the jar they will still break up fine, and if you're really worried just pop em in the fridge and it will halt activity.

If you get bags and choose the method I have been using, it's literally mix spawn with sub in bag, close top of bag, wait for fruits. You can order them from outgrow for about 95cent each. Make sure the filter is .05 micron, not .02. The latter doesnt provide enough FAE to fruit.

I have heard of people washing them out and reusing them, too. They're really durable. Haven't tried it myself but the bags are really pliable after a 90 min PC session, so I'd imagine it's true.

Edited by Deleena24, 13 December 2018 - 03:00 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#16 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:34 PM

I spawned two of these p-corn pints today, with coir/verm at about 1:2 ratio, actually it was more than 2 for the sub, the pint jars were at least 3/4 full, and I mixed two of em with 2 FULL quarts of mostly coir.

I ran out of verm, I only had about 2 - 2 1/2 cups that I mixed with 3/4 of a brick(6 quarts) of coir and a heaping tablespoon of gypsum, I was planning on mixing it at 1:4 spawn/sub, but it would have been a lil bit too much for my mini tub(6 qt), plus i want to see if it helps it colonize faster with a higher spawn ratio.

I had shaken the jars last night after the sub cooled from pasteurization, planning to mix it right then, but I got called into work by my fuckhead boss, so I had to drop everything and run(btw, I clean a fucking factory at night, it's not the most important job but he said I had to get there right away cuz some butthole called in sick) so the myc covering the p-corn was bruised & blueish but still loosened up in the jars.

These two jars were nocced up with B+ BRF/H2O "agar substitute" wedges on 11/30, this is what they looked like on 12/10(100% in 11 days, not bad!)-IMG_20181211_054555.jpg

This is today(16-18 hrs after shaking), notice the blueish bruising-IMG_20181218_175847.jpg IMG_20181218_181218.jpg

Also notice how little verm is in the sub mix(it's dark but not too wet, hope it's good enough)-IMG_20181218_195416.jpg IMG_20181218_201737.jpg The pic shows the foil down on the sub but I re-covered it with it tightly covering the top(instead of againt the sub) and put 5 holes in the foil, the I put the white lid on the tub, which is really loose fitting and wont block GE-IMG_20181218_202046.jpg IMG_20181218_202257.jpg

So I'll update with pics of the sub when I open it up in 10-14 days(I'll decide at day 10), the other two p-corn jars might be going in a bag for in-vitro fruiting, I'm not sure yet though, I got a few days, Iv'e been reading about "senescence" and I don't want the myc to get weak so I can't wait too long, thanks for following along and for the help guys.

Edited by Billcoz, 18 December 2018 - 10:42 PM.

#17 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

That's not gonna happen. From what I understand, senescense won't happen until after many grows.

You can always put the jars in your fridge to let the mycelium take a nap if your not gonna use it for awhile. It will really slow down until your ready to use. Just make sure your fridge doesn't look like a cracked out slop donkey.
  • PJammer24 and Billcoz like this

#18 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:56 PM

Lol, it does look like a "cracked out slop donkey"(it's pretty gross actually), I should clean it anyways, but I'm not too worried. I got em in a clean box over by a window where it's quite a bit cooler than where I "incubate" em, and i'll have the supplies to spawn em in a couple days, so it's cool.

#19 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:33 AM

Senescence isn't something a grower like ourselves would ever have to worry about. Leave that to the pros who do thousands of transfers. I think even PF didnt experience any.

#20 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,110 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:39 PM

A week is no where long enough to make the spawn less viable....

I can't be 100% sure how long the jars that have flopped were sitting, but the mycelium gets a rubbery texture. I am pretty sure you wouldn't be able to break the mycelium no matter how hard you shook/banged your jar... It would take a tool to break it up and even then it isn't easy...

Also, when the spawn starts getting that old, often you will see metabolites beginning to build up in the jar.

I have had fully colonized jars that have been sitting for a while not even begin to colonize substrate while a younger jar tears through the same batch... There is certainly a concern regarding the viability of older spawn... The texture of the mycelium in the jar begins to change... After you see it once or twice, it becomes pretty unmistakable...

I think most people use their jars before they sit this long. IME, there is an optimal point when the spawn is healthiest and will devour the substrate most quickly... I try , but do not always succeed, to spawn within this optimal window.... The time frame is different depending on many variables...

I am sure your jars are fine....

Edit: What I am describing has nothing to do with Senescence... It has more to do with the resources being depleted.

Edited by PJammer24, 19 December 2018 - 12:49 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!