#61 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

I'm all about the flip ...

I incubate my tubs six feet off the floor on a wire rack, and I don't use liners, so the bottoms of the subs get 12/12 light on / off, as the incubation room is also the fruiting room (all in one, tidy felony closet) ...

When the subs start to pin, I pull the tub down & do a super-quick flip onto the lid and put it on the fruiting table.  After harvest, I'll put it back up on the wire rack - sometimes after a dunk - sometimes not - depending on how tight the myclelial mat is - perform an awkward flip, and let the other side pin.

Hell, if the sub wants to pin right up on the plastic, why fight it?  No casing or misting can compete with that environment . . .

I swear Faht has some search algorithm that finds threads with his name in 'em ... or maybe he just uses the 'ol search bar now and again.  His work speaks for itself - his popcorn strain isolation tek is underrated at best.  Man must have had a separate dishwasher for 1/2 pint jars back in the heyday  :)

Lookin' good -

:)

soliver

• fahtster, Deleena24 and Billcoz like this

#62 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:54 AM

I'm all about the flip ...

soliver

Agreed, the casing actually gets colonized and I don't re-case, and once it's fully colonized and there are no new pins forming on the surface, I will flip it, and back again after that flush is finished.

Thank you for mentioning Fahster's P-corn iso tek, now I wanna try it haha..

#63 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:54 PM

Man, my second popcorn tub is producing short stemmed, fat capped fruits, just like the first. They were from different agar plates that were from different isolations(not single sector, but not ms) from different donor agar plates, so it makes me think it's environmental again. like maybe I shouldn't have fanned, could that cause short stemmed shrooms?

Anyways, I have the Burma tubs going, and more B+ tubs, and some homemade spawnbags, so I'll find out after they fruit.

Edited by Billcoz, 30 January 2019 - 11:55 PM.

#64 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:22 AM

Nothing wrong with short as long as they're fat...and plentiful.
  • Billcoz likes this

#65 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:23 AM

Nothing wrong with short as long as they're fat...and plentiful.

Yeah they're fat and plentiful, but a pain in the ass to pick, since there's unopen caps packed tightly between lots of ripening ones, and trying to pull the open ones out is difficult without damaging the ones I wanna leve to open more, and it leaves stumps that are ugly.

I don't have a new pic, but here's some from an earlier post that looks just like this new one-IMG_20190119_230325.jpg IMG_20190119_230335.jpg IMG_20190119_230359.jpg IMG_20190119_230430.jpg

And I would rather have taller ones, which a few did get taller, so maybe I'll try to get a tall one cloned, grow some out from that, and see if that makes a diff.

Edited by Billcoz, 31 January 2019 - 02:25 AM.

#66 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:09 AM

IMG_20190131_024337.jpg I have a new experiment going that I might make a new thread for after I get the popcorn inoculated in like a few days I am currently soaking some popcorn in coffee/gypsum water for 12 hrs before I cook and sterilize it.

I just eyeballed a few teaspoons into 32 oz water, for 1 lb popcorn, and about a tablespoon of gypsum. I rinsed the popcorn first.

Anyone see any probs here? EDIT- It was only half a tablespoon gypsum, and I will strain it and add new water when I cook it, and I'll add another half-tblspn gypsum then.

Edited by Billcoz, 31 January 2019 - 03:11 AM.

#67 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:59 AM

Oh BTW, I used INSTANT coffee, not brewed, I just added it and mixed.

Edited by Billcoz, 31 January 2019 - 04:00 AM.

#68 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:11 AM

Found these-https://mycotopia.ne...s/5/147159.htmlhttps://mycotopia.ne...ge-tek-revised/This is awesome!!!

This is kind of like what I did with brf/water in a jar, which I used like agar, then aspirated sterile water over it and sucked it back into the syringe. I still have a 12 cc syringe of it from 3 months ago, with a cloud of  B+ myc in there, I don't need anymore B+s though.

I will be using this method, thanks to Faht, and to soliver for recommending it. I have popcorn, so I might as well use it for everything lol.

Edited by Billcoz, 31 January 2019 - 04:12 AM.

• fahtster likes this

#69 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,691 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:12 AM

Man must have had a separate dishwasher for 1/2 pint jars back in the heyday  :)

Maaaan... I was too lazy for all that. I figured the jars were going to be sterilized again anyway, so unless there was contamination in a the 1/2 pint, the only part I cleaned between runs was the top 1.5” inside ring where the Vern barrier went.. and they were already pretty clean because, well, there was only dry verm there, so all I had to do was take a wet towel and wipe it down. Suuuper fast. Worked like a charm ;)

Glad you like the tek, Billcoz. And thanks for keeping it alive, Sol! Doesn’t everyone search their nym? Lol

Faht
  • Soliver and Billcoz like this

#70 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,058 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:16 AM

Shouldn't be any problems. I don't think you'll see any particularly benefits, but the gypsum will act as a flocculant, causing bits of starch to stick to themselves and sink, rather than stick to the surface of the grains.

#71 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

I soak my popcorn and other grains in gypsum and coffee. I dont know if it makes a difference with cubes but it definitely does for Mexicanas.

I'll try and find the specific threads but the coffee increases sclerotia production numbers by about 50%

I soak with gypsum and coffee now for cubes just out of habit.
  • Billcoz likes this

#72 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,058 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

I started with soaking with 2nd with 2nd run coffee, even hydrating cakes and substrate with it. I think per RR. Just drifted away from it.

#73 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

Awesome, thanks guys. I might use a couple pints of this popcorn for p. tampanensis, and hopefully they make some sclorotia, I'll probably use bags, my house might just be too dry right now for tubs, even the hole-less ones are having issues, I am still new after all, and I am struggling for sure, but I am trying to pay attention to all the factors so I can learn how to deal with any sort of issues, still waiting on my first bIg green mess, only seen a tiny bit of green so far in my "career".

#74 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:46 PM

I'll try and find the specific threads but the coffee increases sclerotia production numbers by about 50%

So if I keep my cube tubs at 65 degrees, it'll increase potency by 25% and coffee will increase my sclerotia by 50%  ?

While I appreciate your contributions to the forums, you just can't drop these kinds of numbers without some real, actual research to back it up.

C'mon Deleena.

There are new members reading these posts for reliable data, and these kinds of unverified claims - while they may be based on your subjective experience, are counter-productive at best.

There have been lots of teks that use coffee - I'm not saying it hurts anything when used judiciously and at the proper time in the process, but the assertion that it increases sclerotia production by 50% is, at best, rich.

Post your own sclerotia grow with a side-by-side, and I'll be piqued.  Do it again, and I'll be titillated.  When other people have the same results, I'll be actually interested. 

The community has been through decades of theories - links to that isn't interesting, as anything with teeth is generally accepted as SOP by now.

If I'm gonna dump my coffee anywhere besides my mouth with the expectation of a 50% yield increase, it's gonna take a bit more of the good 'ol scientific method, because that's how we roll on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

soliver

• coorsmikey and Billcoz like this

#75 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:20 AM

It's in stonesuns thread somewhere he did experiments with different substrates and also did with and without coffee.

He went from about 100g per quart to 150g per quart with the coffee...

Theres charts and all that I'll find it. Maybe it wasnt stonesun but I'll find it.

Edited by Deleena24, 01 February 2019 - 12:21 AM.

#76 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:51 AM

Sorry it wasnt stonesun, but one of the better known stone growers on Shroomery.

https://www.shroomer.../fpart/all/vc/1

It's he only provides the graph for the sub results, but he says he has tried the side by side and gets 40 to 70g without coffee and over 140 with a 4 month average grow time.

You're 100% right though, I should verify that more, because it's a pretty big claim but I do have to say I have experienced it.

All my homemade rye and wbs made with coffee do perform about twice as well as any of Outgrows rye in bags or jars that dont have coffee. I made my first batch without coffee, too, and it performed about half as well. They perform equally well with cubes for fruits and they colonize the same, but I get way more stones with coffee.

Also I can dig up the cold grow evidence, too. That was an actual scientific study that proved colder, slow growth produced more alkaloids in cubes. That's gonna take some time to find.
  • Billcoz likes this

#77 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:00 AM

Just to pique your interest...jar on the left has no coffee which is how all of those jars look. Jar on the right is with coffee (Why it says test) and typical of all my coffee jars.

#78 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:53 PM

That's an interesting thread from eight years ago - a shroomery grower with under 200 posts (159) using a variety of substrates.

Could it be the coffee?  Maybe - certainly a chance, but a sparse thread with no pictures or double-down. 

You seem to have a lot of stone jars going on - do the community a solid and let's see some results.  I'm all for improved methods; a side by side would be pretty cool to see IMO . . .

soliver

• coorsmikey and peacefrog like this

#79 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:31 PM

That's an interesting thread from eight years ago - a shroomery grower with under 200 posts (159) using a variety of substrates.

Could it be the coffee? Maybe - certainly a chance, but a sparse thread with no pictures or double-down.

You seem to have a lot of stone jars going on - do the community a solid and let's see some results. I'm all for improved methods; a side by side would be pretty cool to see IMO . . .

soliver

Yes it would, 100% agreed. I've gone down the rabbit hole reading about coffee and sclerotia and averaged numbers and compared grows, it definitely helps, but I'd have to link too many grows and sites to explain fully how I got the number, so I'll refrain from tossing around numbers in the future.

I posted a pic of one of my jars I made with no coffee next to a jar made with coffee, both on the same rye but it was deleted...

Next time I make some grain I'll do a small comparison I guess, but even if the results show a 1000% increase it's still too small a sample size and with MS it could be a genetic thing, so it would again prove nothing, but would be cool for everyone to see.

I don't think you should judge experience by number of posts, though. I know I grew for 2 years before I even posted here, and after I took off for like 10 yrs my account had to be reactivated or something and it started me at 0 posts again.

Edited by Deleena24, 01 February 2019 - 05:31 PM.

#80 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

So I hope we all kissed and made out, no UP, I mean lol, sorry. 

I got a pic of most of the first flush from popcorn tub #2-IMG_20190201_181014.jpg

Again, it's such a pain in the ass to pick them out without pulling all of em up or digging into the sub, but I would rather let em all open when possible, and I wish I would have gotten a pic before I started pulling em to show how crowded they are in there.

Here is what's left in the tub now-IMG_20190201_182700.jpg

Edited by Billcoz, 01 February 2019 - 06:39 PM.

• Deleena24 and Soliver like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!