• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:58 AM

Here's flush # 2.5 from burma tub #1, there's a couple biggies in there(2.5 cuz there were pins already forming when I harvested the first one)-IMG_20190224_061309.jpg

Here is the last grated cake tub, this is the 5th flush(!), and the sub has been flipped 3 times because after the first flush I removed the black liner and pins formed on the bottom, so after the 2nd flush on the orig top, I flipped it over, and after harvesting that flush I flipped it again since pins were forming on the bottom again, though all the flushes have been small, with a lot of aborts(orig top)-IMG_20190224_061144.jpg

• WolfWhiz likes this

#102 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:04 PM

That's alot of life from such a thin sub

#103 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:56 AM

That's alot of life from such a thin sub

Ha, it did start about 3" or so and shrunk a lot. Like I said, every time I flipped it some pins ended up aborting, probably shock from exposure to more fae than it was used to on the bottom. The bigger ones survived and I got a good amount from it so it's okay. I prefer to get 2 or 3 good flushes and get the tub back to start new ones than have a bunch of flushes. That sub only produced less than 50 grams I think, I hadn't been keeping track that close to weight, but I know my first two burma tubs first flushes together produced 31+ grams, and the last three B+s first flushes combined, over 100 grams, I think that's good but IDK.

I love growing them so much that when I'm not starting new spawn or spawning sub I play with the growing ones too much, so I need to keep occupied starting new ones. I have used up most my agar cultures now, only have one left of the better producing of each the two isolations from the B+ and burma, uncontammed but I know it's dangerous to have only one of each so i need to get on that. I have a few agar jars already made up to transfer to when I get motivated.

Here is a third flush from a B+ tub, a lot of the small pins are not growing at all after I dunked it without removing them before dunking after a huge flush with a bunch of pins forming at the same time. The tub got super light weight from using up moisture for the flush, so I soaked it to rehydrate it causing the aborts-IMG_20190301_060539.jpg

Edited by Billcoz, 01 March 2019 - 07:58 AM.

#104 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:32 PM

I have a newb question, if the aborts are worth taking, why not the mycelium? or the outer edges? could one use like a cheese wire to just remove a thin top layer?

#105 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:25 PM

I have a newb question, if the aborts are worth taking, why not the mycelium? or the outer edges? could one use like a cheese wire to just remove a thin top layer?

I think some people make, like myc tea, but ew. I keep the aborts unless they are so small I can't get em with my fingers, then I leave em there and rinse the sub off. I plan to use the broken up dried fruits and pins for an extraction some day. I used to keep even myc pieces that would break off when I picked em, but after a while it's not worth it, I mean I have more nice fruits than I even need, a nice problem to have.

Edited by Billcoz, 04 March 2019 - 12:26 PM.

• WolfWhiz likes this

#106 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:05 AM

The first two pics are the 3rd flush for the burma tub #1, the pins were already growing when I dunked the sub and they swelled immediately when the sub hit the water, it was amazing, I could almost SEE them get bigger-IMG_20190309_231633.jpg IMG_20190309_231706.jpg

3rd flush from burma tub#2, the pins survived the dunk but the biggest ones opened the caps afterwards-IMG_20190309_231745.jpg

Here's B+ tub #3, flush #3, the other 2 are going for flush #4, though I had a ton of aborts from B+ tubs 1 & 2, had to spend a while picking the subs clean-IMG_20190309_231728.jpg

So far from the 3 B+ tubs I have ~120g B+ dried, and ~80g burma.

So I have a few trays spawned and colonizing(see my thread called "various improvised FCs from junk I had..."), and for my next batch I'm soaking 1.4lbs yellow popcorn(they ran out of white) in coffee/gypsum water for 12 hrs, I'll make a new post for that grow when it's inoculated and growing, I'm doing some b.meanies and p.tampanensis, and probably more B+ to use up the slurry syringe I made a few months back, which is full of myc, hopefully still good.IMG_20190310_032325.jpg

Edited by Billcoz, 10 March 2019 - 03:06 AM.

• Deleena24 likes this

#107 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:39 AM

I wonder how much of your place is dedicated to growing mushrooms, I bet a lot of it!

I recently noticed I turned my room into a lab, luckily I have plenty of room but I do share the kitchen with house mates so not everything is private. Trying to get the stuff together and methods down so I can do most of it in the privacy of my own space.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 10 March 2019 - 07:40 AM.

#108 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

I'm a real fan of coffee in all my soak water. I started it on advice for stones, but my cubes seemed to love it, too. So I always just do it now.

I'd love to do a comparison sometime.

#109 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:10 PM

I wonder how much of your place is dedicated to growing mushrooms, I bet a lot of it!

I recently noticed I turned my room into a lab, luckily I have plenty of room but I do share the kitchen with house mates so not everything is private. Trying to get the stuff together and methods down so I can do most of it in the privacy of my own space.

Ha, not really that much, I have 6- 6 quart tubs, a mini sgfc, the bags and other FCs, takes up half of a little 8x12'(foot) nursery/walk in closet upstairs. I do the SAB work in my room. Upstairs is the mush-grow area/snake room/weed room/passing out room.

Here's a pic of the 3rd flush from burma tub#2-IMG_20190311_103342.jpg

Coffee soaked popcorn cooling-IMG_20190311_022550.jpg

Edited by Billcoz, 11 March 2019 - 02:16 PM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#110 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:36 PM

Good looking flush!

Well, I guess this hobby does not necessarily have to take over your whole house, that's true. But snakes? What kind?

About popcorn cooling methods:

I have made something today from a shopping basket I found on a walk yesterday, had some fine chicken wire left over (which I also used to mod my dehydrator trays for pins and small mushrooms that would fall through the trays), tied it down with some of those metal threads that come with garbage bags and made this:

The tape is so I don't cut myself. Will see how it works next time and if it will hold together when I shake things up.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0118.JPG

Edited by RutgerHauer, 11 March 2019 - 05:47 PM.

#111 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,315 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

Looks like it will work. I need to set up a larger method. But I'm only doing 2 lbs at a time right now.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#112 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:06 AM

Good looking flush!

Well, I guess this hobby does not necessarily have to take over your whole house, that's true. But snakes? What kind?

About popcorn cooling methods:

I have made something today from a shopping basket I found on a walk yesterday, had some fine chicken wire left over (which I also used to mod my dehydrator trays for pins and small mushrooms that would fall through the trays), tied it down with some of those metal threads that come with garbage bags and made this:

The tape is so I don't cut myself. Will see how it works next time and if it will hold together when I shake things up.

That's cool RutgerHauer. I made a "sling" sort of thing for drying grain/sub that was in use for coir when I was cooling the popcorn. It's an old linen hamper thing that I cut the canvas part off and hung some window screen from the frame making like a deep hammock, allowing air to hit more of the grains and dry them as it cools. it adjusts for bigger and smaller loads. I can line it with a piece of bed sheet or pillowcase on it to hang bulk sub that is too wet so it dry to field capacity. I've used it that once and it worked good.

Edited by Billcoz, 12 March 2019 - 01:06 AM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#113 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:11 PM

But snakes? What kind?

Just one red tailed boa, about 6-7' feet long-IMG_20190312_160741.jpg

• RutgerHauer likes this

#114 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

I have changed my perspective on snakes through mushrooms. Realized we're all just some weird looking snakes, as in their kind of instincts reside deep inside our psyche still, I think mushrooms in some sense activate those ancient biological pathways we normally filter out of our rational minds. It is part of being human too.

Sssssssssss
  • Billcoz likes this

#115 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

I love to talk to the snake on while tripping. I ate like 12 dry grams one day and I kept seeing him outside his cage., like still inside, but not haha, IDK how to describe it. I also always start to feel sorry for him for being a caged animal, and I don't take him out as often as  I should because he's hard to handle and not used to it anymore. He's pretty heavy and hard to hold when he wants to get away. I feed him in the cage, so when I open the lid he always thinks he's getting fed and WILL bite.

Haha, my ex GF's daughter had some friends over when I wasn't there one time and this dumb 18 yr old kid opened it and reach right ion and got bit to hell LOL. I had warned them before not to reach in.

He bit me a few times when he was small, and a couple times when he was bigger, and he tore me up because he was holding on really tight, so I had to pry his face off my arm, also trying not to break his teeth. He doesn't usually do that, and once he knows he's not being fed he's really nice. I can grab his head without worrying, there's a certain posture('S'-position) and way he moves that lets me know if he's being aggressive.

I have different 'rituals' that I do when I'm opening up the cage to get him out to clean it or whatever, to let him know that it's not feeding time. I open it from opposite ends of the tank depending on if I'm feeding him, and when I am not i drop a pillowcase on his head for a minute and he knows not to bite. 

I had an alligator when I was like 19. I got it as a baby, like 10-12 inches long and he grew to over 3 feet and got harder to handle, so I donated him. That was an awesome pet. I had built this cool ass cage, with a raised floor with a pond built in, and a filtration system I rigged up. I kept it stocked with goldfish for him. It was annoying to shit at night, cuz he'd be splashin' around, fuckin' up some goldfish. He'd also sit there at night making little duck noises, like 'eeh, eeh, eeh', if you can picture that. I had to feed him mice after he got bigger, that was fun lol. I miss the little bastard.

Edited by Billcoz, 12 March 2019 - 05:01 PM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#116 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,315 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:34 PM

If you can conveniently get to a faucet, running cold water on the snakes head can make it release on its own, no tooth damage.
  • Billcoz likes this

#117 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:49 AM

If you can conveniently get to a faucet, running cold water on the snakes head can make it release on its own, no tooth damage.

Good to know lol. I was upstairs(and drunk) and did not immediately think to run down to the faucet. He did eventually let up his grip when he realized I am not food. I was afraid to hold him at that time, I held him all the time when he was smaller, and since that time I have gotten him more calm. Like I said, I came up with a way to let him know it's not feeding time by opening the cage from one end only when feeding, and the other when I'm taking him out. I haven't had him bite at me in a long time.

• RutgerHauer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!