• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NBShroomguy

NBShroomguy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:05 PM

After doing a bit of research I decided on Mazatapec does anyone have suggestions for an ideal bulk substrate for a 70Qt Monotub 

my spawn will be wheat berries bumped up with some gypsum Ive read on a few places that a 50/50 mix of coir and Verm would be sufficient 

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,628 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:34 PM

50/50 Coir, Verm is an excellent choice for your first bulk, You may consider 50/50 Coir and some composted poo such cow or horse. You could get way better yields and more flushes before the putter out.

• PJammer24 and NBShroomguy like this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:43 PM

50/50 Coir, Verm is an excellent choice for your first bulk, You may consider 50/50 Coir and some composted poo such cow or horse. You could get way better yields and more flushes before the putter out.

A coir and verm substrate is going to be relatively contam resistant... I agree that it is a good choice for the first go-round but as mikey said, its gonna be a bit of a one flush wonder...

The poo doesn't necessarily have to be fully composted... aged manure that has been leached of urine will work fine... The best stuff has been sitting in the fields for a while and has attracted fungal mycelium in the wild...

My typical substrate mix is 1:1:1 coir:Hpoo:verm  .... I like to have the verm in there. 

I am not sure how you plan to pasteurize but if you are just using coir and verm, there are some fast and easy methods.

• NBShroomguy likes this

#4 NBShroomguy

NBShroomguy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

A coir and verm substrate is going to be relatively contam resistant... I agree that it is a good choice for the first go-round but as mikey said, its gonna be a bit of a one flush wonder...

The poo doesn't necessarily have to be fully composted... aged manure that has been leached of urine will work fine... The best stuff has been sitting in the fields for a while and has attracted fungal mycelium in the wild...

My typical substrate mix is 1:1:1 coir:Hpoo:verm  .... I like to have the verm in there. 

I am not sure how you plan to pasteurize but if you are just using coir and verm, there are some fast and easy methods.

probably an oven bag would adding dry organic ammendments to the coco such as a 4-4-4 help with the multiple flushes at all I also have a tub of greensand which I prep my coco with for marijuana
It is slow release and can be used even on small seedlings I could be wayy off on this but the Poo may be hard to convince the wife to let me pasturize indoors 

Ingredients: Alfalfa meal, bone meal, blood meal, glacial rock dust, mined potassium sulphate, fossilized carbon complex, rock phosphate, greensand, kelp meal, gypsum.

Edited by coorsmikey, 11 December 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,628 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:04 PM

I've experimented with similar supplements. Yellow bag of Happy Frog stuff that had blood and bone meal and a bunch of other stuff. I got some the nastiest contamination I've ever seen. Far worse than what cooking some Hpoo smells like, which by the way isn't too bad (smells earthy). The only way I was able to get the Happy Frog fertilizer to work was to sterilize it on its own for a couple of hours then add it to my pasteurized substrate. After all said and done it was not worth the time, effort and contamination it took to make it work. 

I'm guessing you're probably a very good MJ grower, but fungi is a different animal altogether. I would suggest saving the fertilizers or supplements for experimenting later after you get a few successful grows under your belt.  Keep it simple with the coir/verm or maybe some potting soil added if the poo is a no go with the Mrs. I still love to use Fox Farms Oceans Forest in my grows. I use approx 75/25 coir and soil with great results and many flushes. 

• Shroom La Zoom and NBShroomguy like this

#6 NBShroomguy

NBShroomguy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

So any bag horse/cow manure compost should do the trick dried horse poo not sure where to find that here 

Id be able to get this pretty easily 

Untitled.jpg

Edited by NBShroomguy, 11 December 2018 - 03:30 PM.

• Myc likes this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:59 PM

So any bag horse/cow manure compost should do the trick dried horse poo not sure where to find that here 

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

I have never worked with your crazy French Canadian Cow manure but I have found that the raw manure as opposed to bagged composted manure seems to work best... At least for me... I have tried using some bagged cow manure compost and had some terrible contam issues... I couldn't tell you what was in there that caused the problem even if I wanted to... Mikey is right, it doesn't smell as bad as you would suspect but the cow manure is a little rougher to work with in my opinion... 

You may want to work out way to soak and leech the manure... I am relatively sure it was sitting on the floor of a stable somewhere and has been fairly urine soaked before being shoveled and bagged... soaking it and pouring the water off will help mitigate some of that.

You can buy dehydrated horse manure online but finding a local source would be more cost effective... You may just have to experiment with the cow manure brands you have access to until you find one that works well...

Just food for thought from my own personal experience... I have had to pasteurize manure based substrates longer than 4 hours and at higher temperatures than 140 degrees.... I typically pasteurize for 5+ hours and try to keep it above 160 degrees without hitting 180 degrees... After 180 degrees it is pretty much shot and you should start from scratch... Clearly those temperatures are Fahrenheit...  I found this necessary with steam pasteurization. I haven't pasteurized with the substrate fully submerged in a long time so shorter pasteurization times and lower temperatures may be adequate doing it that way... I simply do not remember how long I was doing that for and at what temperatures back in the day...

• roc and NBShroomguy like this

#8 NBShroomguy

NBShroomguy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

I have never worked with your crazy French Canadian Cow manure but I have found that the raw manure as opposed to bagged composted manure seems to work best... At least for me... I have tried using some bagged cow manure compost and had some terrible contam issues... I couldn't tell you what was in there that caused the problem even if I wanted to... Mikey is right, it doesn't smell as bad as you would suspect but the cow manure is a little rougher to work with in my opinion... 

You may want to work out way to soak and leech the manure... I am relatively sure it was sitting on the floor of a stable somewhere and has been fairly urine soaked before being shoveled and bagged... soaking it and pouring the water off will help mitigate some of that.

You can buy dehydrated horse manure online but finding a local source would be more cost effective... You may just have to experiment with the cow manure brands you have access to until you find one that works well...

Just food for thought from my own personal experience... I have had to pasteurize manure based substrates longer than 4 hours and at higher temperatures than 140 degrees.... I typically pasteurize for 5+ hours and try to keep it above 160 degrees without hitting 180 degrees... After 180 degrees it is pretty much shot and you should start from scratch... Clearly those temperatures are Fahrenheit...  I found this necessary with steam pasteurization. I haven't pasteurized with the substrate fully submerged in a long time so shorter pasteurization times and lower temperatures may be adequate doing it that way... I simply do not remember how long I was doing that for and at what temperatures back in the day...

There is a co-op farm and feed they may carry somethign like that Ill give them a call tomorrow thanks for all the help 

#9 NBShroomguy

NBShroomguy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:51 PM

Soon I will get to begin !!!

IMG_20181224_152305.jpg
  • roc and Nyla like this

#10 NBShroomguy

NBShroomguy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:41 AM

It seems the pressure cooker I have access to is much too small to go 1 QT jar route so I will start out by doing some BRF Tek wish me luck will post some pics once I get er up and growing !!! 

#11 NBShroomguy

NBShroomguy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:31 AM

IMG_20181231_102541.jpg

using this method 

EDIT: Discarded the left jar seems to have some kind of sediment looks like proteins similar to when whilrfloc tablets are used in brewing beer  

https://mycotopia.ne...uid-culture-lc/

Edited by NBShroomguy, 31 December 2018 - 01:42 PM.

#12 NBShroomguy

NBShroomguy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:53 AM

Well it looks as though I have some mycelium growing at least it looks like pics from this site so fingers crossed when the time comes its viable I do plan to do a few Agar plate to test first 

#13 BlueCapCrook

BlueCapCrook

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:54 AM

Looks like you're off too a great start. When using grains I'd use a bulk substrate of 50/50 Hpoo:straw (with some sort of casing in a monotube for the fruiting process), its cost effective, holds moister, and is relatively easy to not mess up. 

Goodluck 

• NBShroomguy likes this

#14 NBShroomguy

NBShroomguy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:58 AM

I just did a harvest of some seeds sooo many seeds 
IMG_20181222_160750.jpg

#15 NBShroomguy

NBShroomguy