11 replies to this topic

#1 Cactusbob

Cactusbob

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:39 AM

I’m struggling to identify which branch of The lophophora family my recent purchases belong to? I certainly purchased them as williamsii but looking at pictures online I’m a little unsure... anyone know?

Picture below of the biggest peyote I have. I’ll post up the others I’m not sure about separately.

#2 Cactusbob

Cactusbob

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:41 AM

\/

Attached Thumbnails

• FD17784A-3EA6-413F-AA5B-0FC36823F768.jpeg

• Skywatcher and skunk like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,739 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:25 AM

Its a beautiful specimen either way. I am afraid you will need to wait for a bloom to get a positive ID. Williamsii has shades of pale pink and cream on the flower where as Diffusa is all white.

• Myc and Cactusbob like this

#4 Cactusbob

Cactusbob

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:23 AM

Hi. Thanks it’s a handsome specimen for sure, but I’m hoping it’s not a false peyote. So the flowers are the only or best way to know? What about the ribs of the plant, any other way of telling? Another picture \/

I bought a couple more (smaller ones but very similar) from same seller this week. I’ll post up pictures of those later, as I think their ribs are less well defined than this older one.

Edited by Cactusbob, 14 December 2018 - 11:28 AM.

#5 Cactusbob

Cactusbob

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:28 AM

\/

Attached Thumbnails

• 99CA6C25-7629-437A-BF62-27478C27F01D.jpeg

• Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#6 Cactusbob

Cactusbob

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:46 AM

...and is it correct that Diffusa is still used in hallucinatory trips? I have read this but without mescaline how can that be?

These are my new arrivals, again I hope williamsii ...

Attached Thumbnails

• 2F8AE75E-002F-4EAE-A4F1-7BD3BCBF88AA.jpeg

Edited by Cactusbob, 14 December 2018 - 02:04 PM.

• Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#7 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,392 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

the first pic looks like the way diffusa is discribed 

In The Cactus Family, Edward F. Anderson describes the two species of Lophophora. In L. diffusa the ribs are usually absent, in williamsii they are usually present and well defined

the last pic of the two look more like williamsii

but as sky said, the flower is probably the best way to distinguish the two apart.. beautiful none the less

Edited by wharfrat, 14 December 2018 - 02:23 PM.

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:53 PM

An aside for Cactusbob. 

This is just me talking but......if you're looking to have a mescaline experience, can I steer you toward Trichocereus? They're faster growing, easier to cultivate, and don't mind pruning every couple of years or so. ;)

I'm just a funny duck and I see things - plants, animals, insects, people - as sentient beings. Given that lophophora can live for hundreds of years I'm reluctant to want to "harvest" one. I think they're special - like the red phone in the white house. Only to be used when you absolutely must "get through" to the other side (and can't find any DMT). 

Again, this is purely my opinion. Raise those lophs to a ripe old age and pass them along to a younger generation as heirlooms. Make it a challenge to see how old they can get. 

Forgot to add:

Ditto on the color of the flower being your identifier. Also take note of the internal structures of the flower. If you have a microscope, get a pollen sample for microscopy workup. There are lots of cool ways to study plants. ;)

Edited by Myc, 14 December 2018 - 03:58 PM.

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#9 Cactusbob

Cactusbob

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

Thanks - and yes, there is something sacred and special about these peyote. Don’t worry, I had no plans to harm any - but i did still want them to be williamsii - particularly as I’ve been reading around Huxley recently.

I’ll post up any flower pictures as and when there are any!!!
  • Myc, Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#10 Cactusbob

Cactusbob

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:42 PM

Here’s a ‘before and after’ composite shot of a small peyote I nursed back to health from a dubious internet supplier.

Attached Thumbnails

• 99E91AC4-4AFB-4764-AAE9-A3352E3006B1.jpeg

• Myc, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 5 others like this

#11 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 301 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:51 AM

How are they looking?

#12 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,633 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:47 PM

Cactus Bob, I love your reading material lol. Looks like my own bookshelf. Just curious do you live in the states? I have yet to acquire any lophs even though I would love to have one, as I did not want to get it through customs. Not sure about every state but here in WA you can't grow them short of a religious exemption, but Trichocerious varieties is legal to grow and propagate, so I just grow San Pedro, Peruvian Torch and Bridgessii. Mine are all getting pretty big now. I'm just curious because I would love to acquire a couple of those for my own collection as well. Myc sure has it right about them being sentient beings. These things have huge spirits. Peace...

• Sicshroom likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!