Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Hello, everyone. Allow me to introduce myself...

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#61 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:24 PM

@WalkingCatfish: It wasn't an oven lol  :tongue: it was a dark green plastic tote on it's side with plastic wrap over the opening.

Oh, sorry...I just assumed you were crawling around in front of an open oven...next to the compost bucket, with the family dog jumping all over you. :biggrin:

Sounds like you're taking all the right steps.  I think you'll get there, this time! 

• OldAndMiserable likes this

#62 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:36 PM

That $67 Presto is the best deal around. I have been looking for a 20+ quart PC for a little while now, and I'm going to settle on that myself. It should more than suffice for me, considering I am using an 8qt Presto right now.

Those magic bullets are awesome, right? The link I sent you of the one I bought is always on sale for $19.99 or something, when it retails for almost $60. They are so worth it. I use them all the time, for all sorts of things.

#63 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:30 PM

Thank you, everyone!!

I'll be talking with the boss (read: wife) when she gets home from work about the cooker. @Deleena24; The biggest issue is that the links you shared are from the US. I'm in Canada, so the prices are higher. To get the one you mentioned shipped to me would cost at least $60...  

Here's what came up when I searched for the 23 qt Presto on amazon.ca - 

(https://www.amazon.c...nner and Cooker)

This mycological grow is not really something I am planning to do all the time. I can understand how amazing these guys are, but I am not growing them to trip on every day. I am going to use them as a source of healing, to help me work through my mental health issues. I'm really only planning on doing a big dose (the 'heroic' 5g) after a while of smaller amounts, so growing a ton isn't what I'm looking to do at this time. To spend $120+ on an item I'm probably gonna use (at most) 2-3 times a year seems not worth it. 

Don't get me wrong: I am not saying I don't want to make sure everything grows as best as possible, but if steaming the jars works for the Tek, then I will continue to do that. Once I get the Masses PDF figured out to a 'T', I'll be able to produce as many mushrooms as I need! At this point, a pressure cooker may not be absolutely vital to my success.

My biggest concerns at this time are more centered around sterile environments for inoculation and such, and with this, I'm sure I'll be way more successful!

20190103_101903.jpg  20190103_120640.jpg  20190103_135637.jpg

The styrofoam blocks are wrapped in 2 layers of plastic and taped down on the backside of each one, to allow for a smooth plastic surface that is easy to wipe down with alcohol. I'm thinking of adding tape to the places in the corners where the styrofoam meets up, to prevent dust from the box getting in. I've also got a frame made from the removed box flaps that I will be using to make a door/window for the opening to help seal it up during work.

What do you all think? I'll get pics of the entire thing when it's finished up. I also thought of writing up a tutorial on how I did this, since I feel it's really cool! I'd love some feedback!

#64 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

The box should work nicely

On the issue of the PC, you can use it for so much more than mushroom growing. It should be a staple in every kitchen.

Also, you can always branch out to edibles which are just as fun.

Grain is so much more rewarding than brf grows, and can be used for many more species than BRF, and you simply need a PC for grains. Buy a small 8qt like I have I'd you dont want to invest alot. Being able to make 5 pint jars of grain or a dozen BRF jars in one run is possible with mine. You can find one for like 25 American dollars I'm sure

#65 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:27 PM

When I said $60, I meant that would be the cost of the shipping alone... making it double the price of the item itself. I couldn't see myself being able to reason that with the wife :P

I'm not giving up on the PC completely! I'm just saying it's really not something I can see needing for anything besides mushrooms at this time, and with my wife having the only job, it's hard to come by money for random stuff. I'm going to keep an eye out for them, and if one that is the right size is at the right price, then I will definitely scoop it up!!!

I really do appreciate all the help and tips, everyone! Thanks so much! 

Currently, I have 6 jars in a large pot, cooling down after a good steam bath a few hours ago. If all goes to plan, I'll be making up another syringe and inoculating tonight!

I'll be back with updates!

#66 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:27 PM

That sounds like a good plan, O&M.  After you get  the standard BRF jars to work for you, you might want to try the so-called "Broke Boi Bulk Tek", from Reddit, which uses whole rice and doesn't require a PC.

In the meantime, keep an eye on the thrift stores and maybe you'll get lucky. Heck, I saw a small pressure cooker in my neighbour's garbage, yesterday.  The gasket looked a bit dicey, and it was missing the rocker, so I didn't pick it up, but there are a lot of these old things floating around.

Edited by WalkingCatfish, 03 January 2019 - 07:29 PM.

• Deleena24 and OldAndMiserable like this

#67 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:04 PM

I keep forgetting those places... thanks for the reminder! I'll be out and about tomorrow, so I'll take a peek!

And thanks for the tip on the tek! Gonna do some readin'!

#68 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

And don't forget kijiji...

#69 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:40 AM

I juiced my 6 jars this morning! They are now in a box and sitting on my audio receiver, over the grill on the top; offers a heat source, allowing the box to reach temperatures higher than the 21c/71f in my mancave. I'll keep an eye on the temp, making sure it's not too hot: the Masses PDF says around 80f, so I'll aim for that!

I used the Treasure Coast spores this time. Using a third of the print allowed me to make (roughly) 20 ml of dark liquid; I have a bunch left over for another grow, so I'm gonna look at other techniques. @WalkingCatfish, you mentioned the "Broke Boi Bulk Tek", which doesn't need a PC, so I'll start there. I'm not gonna start any new projects till I get results using the PF-Tek... maybe ...probably... :tongue:

Keeping fingers crossed! 

#70 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:57 AM

Wait...you're making your own spore syringes from a print? How do you sterilize the syringe & mixing glass? 

I've been assuming you had some syringes prepared by an experienced grower.

#71 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:14 AM

I shared a link to a video tutorial I used on how to make the syringes on page one of this thread. I used a 250ml jar (freshly washed and wiped with alcohol) to mix up the solution in, and did all the work in my SAB. I flamed the needle point with a lighter. I did all I could to make it as clean as possible. 

When it comes to fruiting, I was thinking about using this:

20190104_100107.jpg  20190104_100122.jpg

(controllers used for size comparison)

This should work, right? Once I poke holes and add perlite, of course.

#72 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 668 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:34 AM

bummer about ridiculous Amazon  shipping costs on PC  check walMart .com maybe for  23qrtb  presto .or even local wal mart ?.

Also check to see if you can get one week free trial of Amazon Prime to get the free shipping ? then tell them no thanks after you get PC ?

I bought my  15  QUART All American at a thrift store for $11 and my 18 qrt  All American for $20 at a thrift store . . All American sells all parts like gauges  valves ect .  if repair is required  beats $400  for new

Edited by bezevo, 04 January 2019 - 10:52 AM.

#73 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

I shared a link to a video tutorial I used on how to make the syringes on page one of this thread. I used a 250ml jar (freshly washed and wiped with alcohol) to mix up the solution in, and did all the work in my SAB. I flamed the needle point with a lighter. I did all I could to make it as clean as possible. 

OK, I watched the video.  It's not exactly aseptic lab technique.  Gotta love the part where he blows out that huge, scary alcohol flame while holding the freshly sanitized needle! I can almost see the plume of damp bacteria arcing through the air.  :biggrin:  And is that a pad of notepaper leaning against his flow hood, upstream from his inoculation?  I'm sure it all works for him, most of the time, but he's not setting a great example.

Anyway, if you have trouble with this next batch of jars, the preparation of the syringe itself is another possible cause.

#74 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:37 AM

I know the video doesn't show the most clean steps, but I did all the work in the box (minus the use of the lighter, for melting reasons). I also wiped down the insides of the box with alcohol, wore a clean sweater and bunched the rolled-up sleeves around the arm holes, and wiped my hands and arms with alcohol as well. The syringe I sterilized by filling it with alcohol and letting it sit for a while before I emptied it and flushed it with a bunch of distilled water. 

Yeah, some of the things in that video made me question his technique... not too sure why I used that one specifically...  :tongue:

Question about fruiting chambers:

That tub I showed earlier is gonna be what I use. A ton of how-to's on making them say make a bunch of small holes all over the entire bin, and some say a few larger holes, stuffed with polyfill, would be fine. I'm not against drilling a lot, but if I can use less hole to reduce the chance of cracking the plastic, I'm all for it. Is it a rule set in stone that a ton of small holes is ideal? What I was thinking is two rows of three stuffed holes at the ends of the tub (3 near the handle and 3 above the perlite) and two rows of four or five rows of stuffed holes on the sides (again, one row at the top and one above the perlite). What do you all think?

#75 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

Honestly, you can get away with NO holes with cubes if you fan several times a day...just saying.

Keep it simple. Start with just a couple holes on each side of the tote.

#76 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:51 PM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20190112_130805.jpg

As much as I want this to go faster, I also want this to take a while... I am feeling uncertain of using this medicine.

I can't help but think of all the negative stuff everyone has said about these things for years... I really do want to try them, based on all the success stories and scientific/medical stuff, but part of me keeps remembering the bad side ( I promised myself to look at both sides of the subject, not just the positive, while I was researching ) of psychedelics; mental health issues like paranoia/schizophrenia, addiction and so on. I now know, from my research, that these problems are very rare ( addiction being pretty much nil ), and if proper set and setting are arranged, they almost never happen. I've seen videos and read articles/posts of people who have done doses way larger than the typical 'heroic dose' of 5g ( some as high as 30g ) and lived ( obviously ). There really isn't any danger when they are approached with intelligence, wisdom and reverence.

So why am I still afraid?

After what I'll call 'a major re-occurrence of BPD' flared up in my life, causing my wife to start feeling unsure about our staying together, it really made me step outside of everything and begin to try a new way of healing. It has led me down what some would consider a path of 'spiritual awakening', and made me aware of a whole new way of thinking and believing that has GREATLY improved my outlook on this crazy adventure we call life. I've since become more easy-going, more relaxed; things don't seem to get to me much anymore. And when they do, I am better equipped in dealing with the situation and recognize/handle my emotions. I've made a ton of progress, and while I know there is still a lot more work ahead of me, I am more than ready to take the next step.

However, in the months of studying this subject, the 'dark side' of psychedelics is something I couldn't avoid. Learning about how some people have developed mental health problems, and hearing that people with serious mental health should avoid these things, has made me hesitant, to say the least.

Can anyone speak from their experience with these feelings?

• coorsmikey likes this

#77 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

My "cousin" as we will call him, had all the same apprehension as you. He had a tendency to get explosively angry, and has issues with PTSD from a double homicide of our grandmother and aunt, his little brother dying as a teenager, just alot of issues.
...he was on Paxil for a long time, he hated it.

I finally got him to try mushrooms, and he absolutely loved them. He said that even on the rarity the trip goes dark, he is always glad it did because it only lasts a bit, and afterwards it feels like a heavy weight has been lifted. Like confronting the darkness let him learn something and relief followed.

He says that he learned quickly not to try and control anything, to truly let go and accept the experience. When you do that, the trip gets pleasant, peaceful, and takes you to a beautiful safe place.

He has since stopped taking prescription medication for his mental health issues. He doses about once, maybe twice a month, and is alot more stable. He has thanked me so many times for convincing him to try them.

People with schizophrenia should definitely avoid hallucinogens, but IMO people with depression, PTSD, social anxiety and things like that can benefit greatly from the use of mushrooms and some other pshycadelics.

#78 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:27 PM

Firstly, congrats on some good-looking growth! Those look really promising.

Secondly, just 'cause you grew them doesn't mean you have to eat them. :wink:

I have no expertise on borderline personality, and don't have any direct experience with it, so I'll leave that to people who know more.

#79 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:46 AM

Thanks, guys  :biggrin:  :smile:  :laugh:  

I've been expanding my consciousness lately, learning all I can about everything, and I have begun "asking the universe" for help and guidance. It's proven to be a great help, and so before bed last night, I asked to be shown what I am supposed to be doing... 

Last night, I had a dream... the only part I remember is waking up (in my dream) to get my kid up for school, and when I looked to the table by my bed to turn off the alarm, I saw my jars... full of mushrooms. The caps were HUGE!!! They were grown in vitro (in the jars) mostly, but for some reason, all of them were GINORMOUS!!! 

If that's not a sign... HURRY UP JARS!!!   :biggrin:  :biggrin:

I used the socks from the last attempt as liners, weaving them around the jars rather than putting each jar in a sock; hoping for added warmth for quicker growth! 

• Deleena24 likes this

#80 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

Update!

20190201_084502.jpg

The 2 jars with big bare spots are because (I think) I may have not juiced those sides... oops... 

Other than that, it seems things are doing super well! The bottoms of the jars are still developing, so I have a few more days to wait. If I leave all 6 of them in the box they're in till they are all white, will that affect the ones that are ready before the others, or should I fruit the ready ones when it's time?

I've checked on the jars every couple of days, and I've rotated them in the box to help with even heat distribution. Won't be long now!!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!