Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Hello, everyone. Allow me to introduce myself...

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#81 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:07 AM

Nice looking rhizo growth showing!

Even after they appear to be fully colonized you may want to wait a few days for the center of the cake to fill in.

I'd give it some more time to see if those half sided jars fill in before deciding to birth all at the same time or not.
I know the P word sucks! Patience is critical.

A couple of things that my old eye sees...

Moisture content - I usually saw some sweating in the jars but you maybe fine.

BRF - I see the verm clearly but I don't see much brown rice flour coating. Again you may be fine depending on the ratio you used. Keep in mind my eyes aren't what they used to be and I haven't done PF style grow in probably 20+ years.

Congrats on a good clean start!

• OldAndMiserable likes this

#82 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• VIP
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:15 AM

Giving the other jars an extra day or three while you wait won't hurt a thing. I always give mine a few days for consolidation anyway. 

• coorsmikey and OldAndMiserable like this

#83 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:56 AM

Looking good. Leave them all until you see primordia or pins in the jars. That's when they are truly ready to birth. Birthing them earlier can actually delay fruiting.
  • roc, coorsmikey and OldAndMiserable like this

#84 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:53 PM

Thanks, everyone!!!

I'm so excited! Patience sucks, but I am determined to see this through properly!

I'll post more in a couple days!

• roc likes this

#85 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

So.... I checked the jars today...

20190207_130531.jpg   20190207_130537.jpg

The left pic are the jars that seem to be doing the best. There are a couple bare spots, as seen in the pic, but they are developing so very nicely!

The right pic, however... The bottom 2 jars are the ones I (think I) forgot to inoculate. The top one... well... I just don't know... 

Anyone have any ideas?

• WalkingCatfish likes this

#86 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:04 PM

The other jars should catch up eventually, they look healthy. MS can really be inconsistent.

I know it's hard but patience is the most valuable skill to learn in this hobby.

#87 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

I am a guy who likes things done asap! Tho, for this hobby, I can wait... maybe :P

I am curious as to why one mushroom decided to show up! That was very surprising! Will it affect the jar?

#88 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:02 PM

They can grow fine in the jar. I have a fear that jar is bacterial though. The milky white fluid doesn't look good. I'd birth that one and rinse it off. If you don't have a fruiting chamber ready, find any container larger than the cake, put a layer of wet paper towels in the bottom, set the jar ring in there and set the cake on it. Quick and easy. As long as you fan it once or twice a day, you don't even need holes.

#89 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

The bottom of the jar hasn't grown in, and I don't know about the middle. If I take it out and it crumbles... wouldn't that be bad? 

Sorry... I'm new :p

#90 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:44 PM

With that mushroom on it, its most likely colonized all its going to. Just wash off the stuff at the bottom.

#91 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:55 PM

BTW what strain again? If it happens to be one that has the ability to go albino or leucistic that may account for the color, which I didnt notice bc I honestly disnt click it.

Otherwise I fear I agree with the rest, and there may be a battle between bacteria and mycelium going on at the edges.

They say anecdotally that cubes will emergency fruit if they encounter a contam as a last ditch effort to throw out spores and continue the colony.

Edit- I looked at the photo again. I thought it's fully colonized? What's the problem again other than the pin color?

Edited by Deleena24, 07 February 2019 - 05:57 PM.

#92 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:21 PM

This is the Treasure Coast strain. Here are some pics of the jar itself, with and without flash.

Without flash - side and bottom:

20190207_191013.jpg  20190207_191415.jpg

With flash - side and bottom:

20190207_191148.jpg  20190207_191050.jpg

#93 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

If it is growing still, yeah I'd leave it, it looks like a really light TC to me but if its stalled try flipping it upside down for a day to see if that will restart it.

#94 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

I'll flip it, and the others, so the bottoms get worked on. An extra day might help. Fingers crossed!

#95 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:42 PM

Treasure can throw some pretty light fruits. Has also been known to throw album is. I have some fruiting now. I tub out of 3 has about 10 per cent pale fruit.

Doesn't hurt to watch it a few more days. Just be aware that the mycelium is pretty much done colonizing once you see fruit. In some case you can trigger colonization again, but that doesn't apply to pf cakes. Most likely right now that's bacterial and the mycelium is building a thick wall around it to contain it. Sometimes you can see the thickening at the edge of the Uncolonized part.

#96 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

I checked the jars a couple of minutes ago, and 3 of them are definitely contaminated. :(  2 of them are the ones I inoculated only the one side, and another has grey-blue coloring... 

However, the other 3 are doing well! The bottoms don't seem to have developed much growth, so so @jkdeth, you might be right in that they are as colonized as they're gonna get. The fruit from the previous pics seems to have grown a bit more, as well, so I think it's time to unleash these jars!

Now to dig out the Masses pdf... 

When it comes to the excess brf mix, I can just rinse it off, correct? I've got a large pot ready for dunking!

#97 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, doesn't hurt to just rinse away the excess Uncolonized bit.

#98 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:05 PM

Here's the tub I am going to use for fruiting (controller and puppy for scale):

20190208_140112.jpg

This should work, right? I have 2 bags of perlite ready to go! (I know I won't need all of it :P )

#99 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

It will do an inch or so of perlite, soaking wet. You'll want to set the cakes on something, the lid or a piece of foil. I like to use plastic snack plates I fill them with verm, set the cakes on the wet vermiculite.

#100 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:16 PM

Awesome! Time for a bath!! 

SO EXCITED!!!! 

Edit: the fruit that has grown already... should I pick it or leave it?

Edited by OldAndMiserable, 08 February 2019 - 02:18 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!