Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Hello, everyone. Allow me to introduce myself...

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#101 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,058 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:26 PM

Sometimes the invitro will fluff up a bit and keep growing when you birth, but it might abort if you're dunking.
  • OldAndMiserable likes this

#102 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:46 PM

Hmm... so the fruit should be removed, then, is what you're saying? At least that way it could be saved...

Maybe I'm getting too far ahead of the process? Besides the one obvious fruit, there's not really any signs of pins... should I maybe wait a bit longer?

#103 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• VIP
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:52 PM

That grey/blue you are referring to might just be myc, Treasure Coast can grow nearly white fruits and in my experience with the strain it blues easy from just about anything, too dry, too wet, bumping up against or pressed against the jar, etc. This seemed especially true of BRF cakes.

#104 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:05 PM

Here's some close ups of the 3 'bad' jars:

20190208_145636.jpg  20190208_145707.jpg  20190208_145728.jpg

You can see the discoloring...

I would like to think they'll be alright, but the two with the bare sides have crumbled since being flipped yesterday (the 2nd and 3rd pic) and the one in the 1st pic looks really bleh...

• peacefrog likes this

#105 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:40 PM

What do you think, my Mycotopian mates? Should I birth the jars today or wait a bit?

The one with the fruit on it makes me wanna birth it asap... but I don't see any pins... 

#106 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• VIP
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:44 AM

I can't tell much from the pics above, the three jars, the first one does look a little off white, but again, I've seen this before where it appears wispy and not quite white but then as it "filled in" the myc became apparent.  Maybe my old eyes are at fault, but I can't quite tell what you're dealing with so I hesitate to offer anything more than observations and commentary based on my own TC grows. I'd not want to steer you wrong, do  you think perhaps you could take a pic or two of the first one from a couple of slightly different angles , perhaps with the lighting at different angles ? I want to see if the grey(gray ?) in the center looks like myc or perhaps is fuzzy or furry looking.

• coorsmikey, peacefrog and OldAndMiserable like this

#107 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,177 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:29 AM

Agreed, the pics are a little blurry.

I would wait a few more days and if no more colonization happens or any funky colors arise, toss um.

Good vibes!

#108 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Sorry about the blurry pics: I'll try better next time.

The 3 jars that I thought were toast actually proved themselves to be just that today... They developed some colors overnight that I didn't seem too keen with... oh well...

The other 3 are still going strong. While no more mycelium growth seems to be happening, they do seem to be pretty well-developed! 

I am pretty sure I should be birthing them today. I was unsure about doing it, but today, I feel that if I leave them any longer, I will lose them. The one with the fruit on it has made the decision for me, since it is now twice as thick and stretches halfway around the jar. I'm going to pick it and then rinse and dunk, tho I fear in doing that I will damage them, since I don't know how the center has developed. 

What do you all think? I'd love any advice, since this is the farthest I have ever gotten, and I would hate to screw it up now...

Edited by OldAndMiserable, 09 February 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#109 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,177 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

Can you post a recent pic?

#110 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:33 PM

All the other pics I have taken were done the day of their posting, tho I know they are a tad blurry at times. Hopefully this one works!

20190209_133027.jpg

#111 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,177 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:48 PM

I am not a cake grower, although I often use cake material as substrate. But the top one with the invitro fruit, I would definitely birth and not dunk it. If I am wrong about the dunking on that cake, please cake growers correct me.

The bottom on the right looks fully colonized, but the one to the left isn’t quite there.

Better pictures and all looks good from my couch.

Good vibes.

#112 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:49 PM

Just IMO, I'd leave the jar with the fruit in the jar another couple days until you see the veil start breaking, then pick, dunk if needed, and fruit in the FC from there.

The other 2 previous post gave good advice for the rest.

#113 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

So, am I right in thinking the veil has ripped?

20190210_135155.jpg

#114 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:06 PM

I think so, it kind of hard to tell. It wouldn't hurt to leave it another 12 hrs. Or just pick it. Preferance and all...

#115 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:21 PM

Gosh darnit... I hate choices!!! Patience or work... well, I think I'll leave them till the morning. Get them dunked while I drink my coffee. 

One of the jars seemed to show a small patch of grey on the cake... maybe I should dunk them today... I'll see if I can get a pic for reference... 

#116 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:26 PM

Gosh darnit... I hate choices!!! Patience or work... well, I think I'll leave them till the morning. Get them dunked while I drink my coffee.

One of the jars seemed to show a small patch of grey on the cake... maybe I should dunk them today... I'll see if I can get a pic for reference...

If a jar is showing grey that's 1 more excuse to wait til the morning. If that cake goes bad, you're not going to want to dunk it, with the others especially.

I really like how that TC has such little color. Very cool.

#117 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:33 PM

Hopefully these come out... There seems to be a bunch of condensation...

Inked20190210_142423_LI.jpg   Inked20190210_142508_LI.jpg

I'll leave them until the morning. I took off their sleeping bags I used for added warmth (read: old socks), to see if that helps. 

I AM SOOO EXCITED!!!! AAAHHH!!! :p sorry....better now

Edited by OldAndMiserable, 10 February 2019 - 02:33 PM.

#118 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:19 PM

The one on the left is very hard to tell, I won't even attempt to answer what it is because it would be a complete guess, it may be nothing at all...

The jar on the right, though, is a bit easier to ID. It looks like blueing to be, most likely caused by stress from the excess moisture and metabolites...its hard to tell though. It might be mold. A day should give you more obvious answers.

I think we all forgot to mention that bacterial jars tend to smell like old sweaty socks, or just bad in general. Don't go breathing into jars that aren't finished, but the smell is pretty noticeable if you waft the air toward you or take a quick whiff.

Edited by Deleena24, 10 February 2019 - 03:21 PM.

• DreamingRaven and OldAndMiserable like this

#119 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:17 PM

Guess it doesn't help that I've been using socks to keep them warm!  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  I haven't noticed any smells yet, so I think they should be fine. 

Tomorrow will be the deciding factor, for sure! 

...geez, I just noticed my skin in the pic on the right... it's been so dry in my mancave lately... dang winter... :P

#120 OldAndMiserable

OldAndMiserable

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:09 AM

Well, my friends, here is what things are looking like:

20190211_095819.jpg   20190211_095848.jpg

Doesn't seem like the mycelium has thickened much, but it would appear the fruit has grown! There's still a bunch of condensation in the jars, tho.

I'm sorry to keep asking, but what do you all think? As jkdeth had said a few days ago, they are probably as colonized as they're gonna be. I'm all for dunking today, but I also don't want to birth them and have them fall apart, either...

What if I take them out, rinse them, and then put them back in the jars? I could then screw the lids on loosely and submerge them in water, allowing the water to fill the jars. Would that work? 

I just don't want to have failure after all this success... PLEASE HELP! :P

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!