• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Haleaeendeega

Haleaeendeega

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:20 AM

Talk about your plenty. Talk about your ills. One man gathers what another man spills... wise words, OldBear.
I’m a asthmatic rascal...
  • PJammer24, OldBear and DaveyJonez like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:15 PM

Man, and here I thought I was gonna see some avocados. Good idea for a thread though. 

#3 justhereforthegirls

justhereforthegirls

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

https://www.youtube....951Fco2FVNFQ_EM

I actually have about 6 avocado trees.

• Myc likes this

#4 Cheehai

Cheehai

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

Nice. I'm growing a couple pineapples. They are dying at the moment, either the soil is depleted, or not getting enough sun because its winter.

I would love to move somewhere nice like Arizona so i could grow some mango.

#5 BlatantPies

BlatantPies

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

Cheehai, I'd give try giving them a batch of weak fertilizer and some myco. I've had pretty good luck with Recharge. It's not cheap, but I give my trees and bushes a bit of it every few years. Although not every plant benefits from it, I've had pretty good luck with it overall.

Last summer I had a ton of pears. Hundreds from a single tree. Never really seen anything quite like it. I'm getting rid of my redcurrants and grapes, since I don't really eat them. I've mostly kept them around due to their high quality and popularity among friends.

#6 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

The only things growing on my property are ice crystals and garbage-ravening trash pandas (raccoons), but we don't have a homeless population, so I guess there's tradeoffs to everything . . . at least I can legally shoot the raccoons when I find them digging through my white trash, but I generally prefer to get better refuse containers...

:)

soliver

• Oneyedraven likes this

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,146 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:53 PM

Probably off topic, but I could live on avocado alone. 

• Soliver likes this

#8 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:04 PM

is it wrong that i love avocado but not avocado toast!

i have started a couple to have as plants.  i cant not start something...its a curse

• coorsmikey likes this

#9 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:05 PM

oh ya, the seeds are supposedly to be very nutritious too...

#10 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,146 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:19 PM

I've heard that also about the seeds. I know they are good heart food and can help you lose weight. I went through a huge avocado faze when I was 18. It was all I ate for every meal and lost more weight than I should have. It wasn't intentional as I was already thin. In a months time, I went from 130 lbs down to 101 and had to stop that because I looked like a skeleton with my height. It was just an easy meal for me to take to work as many hours as I was working. I should do it again now and get some of this weight off my ass lol. Sigh. I do eat a lot of them still tho. Between that and psyllium, my blood pressure is always low (100/60) which is a good thing in a family with high blood pressure issues.

And Psy, yeah that is weird.

• PsyBearknot and OldBear like this

#11 OldBear

OldBear

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

gets my vote for best random thread title
  • onediadem and Juthro like this

#12 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

Ok ... dumb question time ...

How the hell do you eat an avocado seed?  I can see the weight loss happening, as it's hard to eat after cutting all your digits off trying to hack into a slippery avocado testicle. 

Or is that my imagination?

soliver

• coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#13 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,146 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:16 PM

Blender, or food processor.

#14 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:56 PM

Do you eat the husk and everything?  I've been throwing these things away . . . there's FOOD in them thar seeds?

soliver

#15 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

dry the seed/pit and then use a nutmeg grater to add to soups and salads and such.  usefull if you only eat a few avocados and can not throw the other seeds away.

dry them, give them a good wack with a meat tenderizer in cheese cloth or towel or such and then throw into a high power blender with a dry ingredient or grain type blade and grind it up to use more as a dedicated supplement in smothies and such.  

• Soliver likes this

#16 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:46 PM

And Psy, yeah that is weird.

ok so heres how i plead my case  

Avocado toast is presented as an entree and breakfast and brunch.  Maybe 24/7 some place in the world but its is presented as an entree.....  

This is false advertising.  

1 order of avacado toast = does not = an entree.  it is only a teaser that at the end you went...."OH that was good.  NOW WHERE IS THE REST OF MY BREAKFAST?!?!"

Avocado toast with a side of chickenfried steak and hash browns

avocado toast with a side of cornbeef hash 3 over easy eggs 

avocado toast with a protein smoothie, egg white omelet and some twigs and berries

YES.

Avocado toast by its self...no....lonely...so lonely...

(and hungry)

OH BTW my Fitness goal for this year is.....

FITNESS THIS TACO IN MY MOUTH! 

• onediadem, Juthro and Oneyedraven like this

#17 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,146 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:45 PM

Well that is interesting. I always assumed you ground them in a smoothie raw.

And I agree. Avocado toast is a quick snack. So not main course stuff.

#18 Cheehai

Cheehai

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

Cheehai, I'd give try giving them a batch of weak fertilizer and some myco. I've had pretty good luck with Recharge. It's not cheap, but I give my trees and bushes a bit of it every few years. Although not every plant benefits from it, I've had pretty good luck with it overall.

Last summer I had a ton of pears. Hundreds from a single tree. Never really seen anything quite like it. I'm getting rid of my redcurrants and grapes, since I don't really eat them. I've mostly kept them around due to their high quality and popularity among friends.

will do, I got some worm "juice" from my wormicospost. I'm pretty sure you're right and they need a feed.

#19 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:16 PM

dry the seed/pit and then use a nutmeg grater to add to soups and salads and such.  usefull if you only eat a few avocados and can not throw the other seeds away.

dry them, give them a good wack with a meat tenderizer in cheese cloth or towel or such and then throw into a high power blender with a dry ingredient or grain type blade and grind it up to use more as a dedicated supplement in smothies and such.  

Huh. 

I love whacking things with a meat tenderizer, so this appeals to me.  I'll report back in a few days if I still have fingers  :)

soliver

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!