12 replies to this topic

#1 Legalizeme

Legalizeme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:09 PM

Hey people.
This looks a friendly place with some good information, so I am looking forward to joining.
Some other forums on the internet with all the information available, can be confusing. I have not found that here from what I have seen hence my reason to join

I have got myself a pressure cooker but that is about it.

I am off to do some more reading but I am interested in monotub or dubtubs to start with.
See you around
  • coorsmikey, PsyBearknot and Sikfreud like this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:25 PM

Welcome Legalizeme. Looks like you're off to a good start by already having a pressure cooker. 

• Legalizeme likes this

#3 Legalizeme

Legalizeme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:33 PM

Thanks
I had to get it imported, so showing my commitment already.
Want to do things right.
  • Myc likes this

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,852 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

Welcome! Definitely have made a good choice starting with a pressure cooker first! I can't count how many times I've seen people start with the attitude that pressure cookers aren't important. " If they grow in nature on cow patties then why would I need one" to fail miserably. wasting more money than it would cost to pick one up from the get-go.

Wise choice my friend!

• PJammer24, bezevo and Legalizeme like this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:54 PM

Now all you need is some glass canning jars and you're pretty much ready for anything. 

What's the plan from here?

• coorsmikey and Legalizeme like this

#6 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:22 PM

howdy and welcome to your next steps....

• coorsmikey likes this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:43 PM

Hey there LegalizeMoi!! Welcome to our humble virtual round table!! As my respected cohorts have proclaimed, the PC is the single MOST important piece to this puzzle... With the proper equipment, the guys and gals here can guide you to the promise land!

My suggestion would be to find a tek and follow it to the letter... When I first started, with little/no understanding of the process, I found it confusing due to all the information available! My circuits were overloaded, to say the least... As I tried to sort things out I was mixing different techniques together in my mind... I didn’t understand the “how”, let alone the “why”....

It was only after choosing a defined method, and with a little guidance from those who care before me, that I was able to sort things out..!!

Choose the “how” and then lean on the members here to help you understand the “why”... Many of our members truly enjoy mentoring and watching the proverbial light bulb turn on as someone starts to truly understand!!!

The PF Tek is considered the most streamlined method for virgin mycologists starting their path to enlightenment and understanding!!!

Welcome and good luck!!

PS.... my whole house smells like moist substrate right now... just sayin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • coorsmikey and Legalizeme like this

#8 Legalizeme

Legalizeme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Where do we go from here...... well, I do have access to some clear tubs

45L
B7A9C554-6F73-4D75-BB9A-C6E4D34D3148.png 3B5D903D-9015-4653-8DBF-3E6B48A13FD4.jpeg

35L
8EC30EBA-5AAA-4E13-84D0-4569FA1792CE.png 8E7C2494-92CC-4CE4-8DA7-2949ED221E7E.jpeg

However I believe these are more suitable for monotub?

Listening to the advice above and what I have read, it makes sense to choose a tek and stick to it, as PJammer24 says, it can be easy for newcomers to get confused and apply different teks.

So at this stage, I don’t mind buying some 6qt tubs and doing dubtubs, as they can be manageable and control contacts easier.

I need to buy some wide neck half pint jars, i believe that’s is correct
I already own some canna pro coco, however again I don’t mind buying the right substrate for the particular chosen tek.

So I suppose the answer to where we go from here is to choose the tek and then buy the parts

Do you have any sponsors who sell the goods, preferably Uk based.
Thanks
  • Myc likes this

#9 Legalizeme

Legalizeme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

I am also considering my grow room options
Well I don’t actually need a room per say but just a small suitable location.
Realistically I can’t see me needing a lot of space and only places I can have them is either in the bedroom, and that’s really limited space or in my man cave

My man cave is usually used for other things (very rarely) but it is a controlled environment. Issue with this, would be having to heat the room to suitable temps, not really an issue but cost associated with it, whereas in the house it is already of a living temperature

Second to that I would need to consider the air it pulls in, as there is some damp mold on the outside of the room and it could pull in contaminants in the air I guess,

I could use this room for space benefits and then just use controlled environment from a monotub or dubtub.
Are heating mats suitbale or are you better off heating the outer environment, rather than it just being sat on a heat map.

This is my man cave.

[Direct Link]

02A7A495-D5DB-4141-8F18-8E8AA9ECACA4.jpeg B210F79C-00D0-4549-96CC-BDF65426E7E8.jpeg F378BD97-8B70-41BD-8314-D9CDC67A4E46.jpeg

Edited by Legalizeme, 17 December 2018 - 04:58 PM.

• Sikfreud likes this

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:47 PM

Don’t use the Canna brand coir!!!!!

I have never had the misfortune of using it myself but my understanding is that it has Trichoderma already infused... Trich is great for organic servers but is the bane of mushroom cultivators... Trichoderma is one of the mist common contaminants in mushroom cultivation....

You will want to get a different brand. I have successfully used a few brands. A lot of guys get the stuff intended for pet bedding...

• Legalizeme likes this

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:54 PM

LMFAO! That is my kind of man cave!!

The wide mouth half pints are what you would be using in the PF Tek. PF Tek is considered the best way to start out in the hobby. Sidestreet has compiled a bunch of info in “Magic For the Masses” which is a great resource for the aspiring mushroom cultivator! The link should be in his signature if you find a post...

To do PF Tek, all u need is enough space for a terrarium or one of those tubs... You won’t be using the coir in that Tek. Brown rice flower, vermiculite, perlite, and a tub is what is needed...

I’m not a PF guru so if I left something out, I apologize...

• Legalizeme likes this

#12 Legalizeme

Legalizeme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:27 AM

What tek do you use PJammer24?

#13 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice