This is potentially important work, PP13! I'm really impressed with your determination and focus.
I have good access to literature, so if there are any papers you need, I might be able to help.
Thank you! After reading some of your posts, I am impressed that you are here and decided to become a part of it! I was initially going to take this on by myself but I honestly underestimated the work load I took on in a very short time frame. Installing the hood alone was more work than I was planning on, I think maybe I should start a thread in mad scientists dedicated to this project. So I dont think you understand how much support from people like yourself and Deleena (everyone in this thread really) actually means (its massive!). Thanks guys!
Well, sounds pretty cool. Maybe do a simple run of just a couple of fruits. Perhaps mature vs aborts or just a couple different ones plus a control of some sort. Don't get held up with the 1 part in 1000 precision unless you already have the equipment laying around but just go through the process - dry the fruit, pulverize, MeOH, apply to the plate, run TLC, scan and let us know how it goes. Looking forward to hearing more.
Hey Ray! I guess it is only fair if you are now contributing that you know where we stand! So a quick recap, then expect a new thread within a week (or two, busy).
I still have not finished the lab and the TLC station might end up being where the sterilizer is at the moment, so I have a side bench for the hood. I still have not brought in a lot of stuff I need for it to be fully functional. But hopefully that will give you a good idea that I am not pulling your leg, those scales weigh down to a milligram, that pipettor down to one microliter, and the microcaps are spot on! You cant see the developing chamber, reagents and a few other items for TLC. And I still dont even have anything to dry the specimens with though, and a few other things I still need to get relating to growing. And am still trying to dial in the fruiting chamber. I know what you mean about not being too anal about quantities ect, but for what I want to do, I need it. For other things like extracts it is not needed at all, and I would probably even go with a good quality lab filter paper it is cheaper than the glass plates you can see in the pic and the resolution will be acceptable. But I am going to need to quantify the metabolites of small populations, with possibly very small differences between them so not worrying too much just nullifies the results.
Now where we stand on the mushroom front, I have two 0.66 gallon mason jars filled with WBS that have been inoculated with a PE clone(all I could get at the time) about 15% colonized and is obviously not a MS (which I really wanted). But as you said sample runs are going to have to be made, those figures I gave above are what I am expecting would be optimal (also had some literature to back it up). But no doubt there are going to be issues (however small) that will have to be sorted, and those numbers will change a little I am sure. Maybe the spot wont be big enough, maybe trailing ect, Regarding the first run I was going to run them on two different substrates, coffee/coir I thought was a good substrate that could be used as a benchmark. And the other was going to be in a substrate I came up with (i think you guys are going to like it!) I call it Jurassic Poo! And the potency of shrooms growing on different substrates can be tested and like you said things aborts vs the best fruit of the batch are going to be interesting. I also have a PDA plate with a creeper MS that has germinated, so its not going to be long before we see some creeper MS grows(which is exciting!).
I will take all the help I can get regarding the best growing strategies ect, as I know there are many people here that leave me in dust when it comes to growing experience....
Edited by PistolPete13, 15 January 2019 - 05:02 PM.