Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What if I have water on the bottom of my FC and not perlite?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kirazmin

kirazmin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:52 AM

Is that taboo? :mellow:  I have a water heater going and an aquarium air pump bubbling; the cakes are suspended on cookie cooling racks. Will I run into any sort of problems in the future with this setup? Is there a reason why it has to be perlite and not water?  :ohmy: [First time grower here - if that wasn't clear  :biggrin: ]

Thank you in advance!!  :wub:

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,477 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:45 AM

Huh.  Are you getting good humidity?  Is condensation dripping down the walls of the tub?

I don't know that I've ever heard of this method before.  The convenience of perlite is that you don't need the air pump, but I could see the constant trickle of air going in to the tub being a good thing, too.

I would probably add some salt to the water to try to stop things from growing in it.

• PJammer24 likes this

#3 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 470 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:18 PM

I've fruited in a cooler with a setup like this. Only difference was I had hydroton rocks at the bottom. You will need some method of keeping your cakes/trays out of the water. I would also suggest periodically changing the water. Otherwise you should be good to go. Let us know how it works out for you.
  • kirazmin likes this

#4 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:32 PM

I've actually wondered about this myself. I cannot see standing water supporting the growth of microbes or competitor fungi any more or less than wet perlite. All I can see the perlite doing is increasing the wet surface area and therefore the evaporation rate but in a contained smaller space this shouldn't make that much difference.

Personally I hate perlite though so I may be engaging in confirmation bias. Don't like how it feels or how it scratches up containers.

Do be cautious of keeping the water level higher than the heater. They're very prone to overheating, cracking, and or melting if exposed to air while running.

Edited by 425nm, 23 December 2018 - 05:33 PM.

#5 kirazmin

kirazmin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:41 AM

I've actually wondered about this myself. I cannot see standing water supporting the growth of microbes or competitor fungi any more or less than wet perlite. All I can see the perlite doing is increasing the wet surface area and therefore the evaporation rate but in a contained smaller space this shouldn't make that much difference.

Personally I hate perlite though so I may be engaging in confirmation bias. Don't like how it feels or how it scratches up containers.

Do be cautious of keeping the water level higher than the heater. They're very prone to overheating, cracking, and or melting if exposed to air while running.

Thank you, I DO do that - keep the water level higher than the heater - and am very careful about keeping an eye on that. Thanks :)

#6 kirazmin

kirazmin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:43 AM

Huh.  Are you getting good humidity?  Is condensation dripping down the walls of the tub?

I don't know that I've ever heard of this method before.  The convenience of perlite is that you don't need the air pump, but I could see the constant trickle of air going in to the tub being a good thing, too.

I would probably add some salt to the water to try to stop things from growing in it.

Is it a big problem that the condensation drips down? Shroomery said I should also install a drip shield but I felt that it may inhibit the height of the mushrooms in some way. I may reanalyze the setup once I'm done growing this batch though.

#7 kirazmin

kirazmin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:48 AM

I've fruited in a cooler with a setup like this. Only difference was I had hydroton rocks at the bottom. You will need some method of keeping your cakes/trays out of the water. I would also suggest periodically changing the water. Otherwise you should be good to go. Let us know how it works out for you.

I've drilled holes in the container and ziptied stainless steel baking racks so the cakes are literally sitting suspended above the water. A friend also recommended putting some hydrogen peroxide into the water to keep it a little more sterile.

The first batch of fruits came in and they are smaller than I expected. Yes, granted it's my first batch ever but I still thought they'd be taller. Could the lack of gas exchange be the culprit? I feel like I have enough O2 coming into the container but I only drilled 3 small holes into the container for CO2 to escape. It's a huge container though, 50 gallon sized Sterilite. Thoughts?

#8 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 470 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:20 PM

Lack of O2 would result in stretched stems, are you sure they are done growing?

#9 kirazmin

kirazmin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 04:16 AM

Lack of O2 would result in stretched stems, are you sure they are done growing?

They have opened their caps? I thought you were supposed to pick them before the veil breaks, but even after it breaks and the cap fully opens, they are still quite short. Is there such a thing as too much CO2 though? Or could the condensation on the lid be the culprit here?

#10 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 470 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:00 AM

Do you have any pictures?

#11 mad420pumpkinz

mad420pumpkinz

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:39 PM

Been using Lysol? I had very short fruits on my first grow. I recall someone telling me it was from the Lysol i had sprayed

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!