• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 780 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:30 AM

I don't know if this is the right place to post about this, but I have been watching the show Kentucky Ayahuasca on Viceland and was wondering what the 'Topia crowd thinks of the show.

The show is(obviously) about the ayahuasca church in Kentucky, Aya Quest Native American Church, and they show sessions and interview the guests, who are anyone from people who want to "find" themselves, to depressed people to addicts.

The first three episodes weren't that great imo, but I just watched ep. 4 and it was more of what I was hoping the show would be like, they had some cocky ex-mormon kid, a heroin addict, and an alcy, they do describe the effects, and they add some psych-looking graphics, but of course they make it like a rehab or therapy-themed show by playing up drama, but I would like it to be more scientific, but there's "Hamilton's Phamacopeia", also on Viceland, for the sciency stuff.

The ex-mormon was NOT expecting what he got lol, he was saying how he left the mormonism, got drunk and smoked weed, he was laughing at the ceremony while the other people were taking it serious, because they have serious issues, so it was clear afterwards that he saw some shit he did not expect, or even believe was a thing.

That's what I wanted to see, people surprised by it, because any time I've ever tried to convince someone with no experience with psychedelics, who completely dismiss the ability of these things to change our perspective and surprise the shit out of us, then give em some dmt, they ALWAYS say they underestimated, or never even imagined these thing could happen in their mind.

Hell, I get pretty nervous before every mushroom trip, though for me, DMT and LSD do not give me come-up anxiety like shrooms, but they are my fav, cuz they never fail to remind me how nature is the boss, and we feel better when we are more connected to it, which is hard to do in modern society(though I have not tried aya).

Psychedelics don't let us lie to ourselves about unresolved issues we have, so if we have an issue, we have to resolve it before we can rest our mind, the drug wont let it rest, which is how they work for addictions(and smacking down an assholeish ego).

So I was wondering what you all think of this show, and maybe a discussion can start about the topics of ayahuasca, churches, or the show's episodes themselves, thanks guys!

Edited by Billcoz, 20 December 2018 - 05:33 AM.

• roc likes this

#2 HooKworm

HooKworm

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:11 PM

I thought it was an ok show. I’m good with anything that’s helping people deal with trauma , addiction , or just changing the way they see themselves and our world. This is what the things are here for. As long as they keep it real and simple I’ll keep watching.
  • Billcoz likes this

#3 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 780 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:36 PM

I think that it's great that they are actually not downplaying the positives about a hallucinogen, and I didn't really hear anything I expected to about the negatives, on Josh Gates' show, he did an aya ceremony, and they kept mentioning that you can die if they brew it wrong, and that they don't recommend anyone do drugs for any reason(paraphrased), and they really play up the purging aspect, making it sound like a 100% chance you WILL shit your pants(it can happen).

They actually sort of promote the therapy, I mean, you normally don't hear about recovering addicts being given another "illicit" substance as the therapy, unless it's like methadone maintenance, and Viceland is a basic cable station, so the message about psychedelics is reaching a lot of people who are not exposed to the idea of these drugs being a solution, rather than a problem.

• HooKworm likes this

#4 HooKworm

HooKworm

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:43 PM

I was shocked at that too. Usually when you see a show like that , they also talk to experts in psychology that are skeptics but this like a promotional video for it. And I love it.
  • Billcoz likes this

#5 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:51 AM

Ya know, I'm kinda respecting that "Steve" dude that runs the retreat in the show more and more. He emphasises that his ceremony & the ayahuasca he makes are "for Americans", because the over the top drms and rattles, and chanting in a different language and culture probably have little relevance to westerners.

Not to say that a traditional ceremony in S. America is not a transformative experience, but I think an updated, culturally appropriate ceremony is much better than getting shit-breathed tobbaco smoke blown on your face, and loud rattles and chanting would be disturbing and strange to someone from western culture who is in a psychedelic trance for their first time, more so than someone who understands the language of the chanting(that seems like it would matter) and the :"shamen", and tere are other concerns such as the cost, only people who can afford to go to another country for a week, have the ability to participate, I think Aya Quest)from the show) costs under $300, and is in Kentucky.

I have had people argue that non-traditional ceremonies, performed by westerners, are not a "real" ayahuasca ceremony, because those cultures have been doing these ceremonies for hundreds/thousands of years, and have perfected the method, but I say they perfected a method to help a culture of people that can understand the chanted words, or do not, for instance, have an obesity crisis, or other modern problems, but a ceremony that is relevant to the participants, and also is in a country that is familiar, and generally safer and closer to home is a better option for Americans.

There are other concerns, and I think a culturally relevant aya ceremony would help MANYY Americans, i sure know of a few assholes, who I would just love to slip an aya-mickey, our president is one lol.

Edited by Billcoz, 28 December 2018 - 04:55 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!