13 replies to this topic

#1 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:44 AM

Noob question time.

I have quite a bit of experience cultivating "inedible" mushrooms :wink: but have never grown anything that would taste nice in an omelette. Recently, I bought some petri dishes from a Canadian supplier, and impulsively added a couple of their grow kits to my order: Lion's Mane, and Yellow Oyster.

According to the instructions, I'm now supposed to cut a couple of x-shaped slits in the bag, then keep them nice and humid until mushrooms pop out. However, while I see lots of mycelium, there are also big areas of uncolonized sawdust on the surface.

Should I wait until the mycelium has completely covered the sawdust block?  I mean, I wouldn't open a jar of grain spawn, or birth a BRF cake, until every bit of the grain was nice and white.  But maybe the procedure is different, here? Are these really good to go, already?

The Oysters:

oysters.jpg

The Lion's Mane:

Lion's mane.jpg

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,388 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

i would wait till full to almost full colonization.  it may just be recovering from the shipment 

#3 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:22 AM

Thanks! They had a long journey, then sat on my deck in -5 C for an unknown period of time (they didn't freeze, as far as I could tell).

I'll wait a while before cutting open the bag, then.

#4 HooKworm

HooKworm

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:31 PM

Mmmmm. Yellow oyster.

#5 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

So, I waited a while, then made the cuts. A couple of weeks on, it looks like a bunch of expanding foam insulation is bulging out the sides of the bag. So, this glop will differentiate into mushrooms at some point? I guess I'll find out. :biggrin:

Oysters2.jpg

• JACKOLANTERN likes this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,640 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

Did you perhaps get the blocks mixed up? That looks more like Lion's mane than Oysters. If so the blobs will most likely just get bigger.

#7 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

Seems to be OK.  Since late morning, when I posted, the blobs have separated into miniscule oysters! :biggrin:

Oysters3 - Copy.jpg

I'm really enjoying the show.  I guess I should remember to take some spore prints, when they grow out.

#8 JACKOLANTERN

JACKOLANTERN

puking unicorn

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Nope those are definitely oysters. They love lots of oxygen or they sometimes can look weird. I has some that the caps all of the sudden started growing other mushrooms from them and looking like sea anemones. Still tasted good, just odd.

#9 JACKOLANTERN

JACKOLANTERN

puking unicorn

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

Did it say to make a cut that big? I would have made smaller X's so they would cluster smaller and more evenly. About an inch across in multiple even spots over the bag. They look good btw.

#10 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

Yup, the supplier was really specific: a 4" long X, on each side of the bag. The instructions for the Lion's Mane specified smaller slits.

24 hours later, they've grown a bit more:

Attached Thumbnails

• Oysters4 .jpg

#11 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

Jackolantern, looking again at the instruction sheet I downloaded, the specifications given are actually for regular oysters, Pleurotus ostreatus. The company didn't provide specific information for their Yellow Oysters. Maybe a smaller X would have been better.

The mushrooms themselves are shapely, but quite small. I wonder if they'll expand? Interesting to watch these things.

#12 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

A day later, they're a bit bigger and prettier. And extremely fragrant!

Oysters 5.jpg

• coorsmikey likes this

#13 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:15 PM

We had the yellow oysters for supper, last night. Wow, what a tasty mushroom! Better than the chanterelles & Craterellus I pick wild. 

Makes me want to grow my own on a larger scale, one of these days. 

• Sikfreud likes this

#14 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

The Lion's Mane was doing poorly in the plastic tent the kit-makers provided, so I moved them to a tub. They responded enthusiastically to the improved humidity, and are starting to look distinctly leonine.

lion's mane 2.jpg

So much fun!

Edited by WalkingCatfish, 15 January 2019 - 03:33 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!