23 replies to this topic

#1 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:44 AM

Noob question time.

I have quite a bit of experience cultivating "inedible" mushrooms :wink: but have never grown anything that would taste nice in an omelette. Recently, I bought some petri dishes from a Canadian supplier, and impulsively added a couple of their grow kits to my order: Lion's Mane, and Yellow Oyster.

According to the instructions, I'm now supposed to cut a couple of x-shaped slits in the bag, then keep them nice and humid until mushrooms pop out. However, while I see lots of mycelium, there are also big areas of uncolonized sawdust on the surface.

Should I wait until the mycelium has completely covered the sawdust block?  I mean, I wouldn't open a jar of grain spawn, or birth a BRF cake, until every bit of the grain was nice and white.  But maybe the procedure is different, here? Are these really good to go, already?

The Oysters:

oysters.jpg

The Lion's Mane:

Lion's mane.jpg

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

i would wait till full to almost full colonization.  it may just be recovering from the shipment 

#3 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:22 AM

Thanks! They had a long journey, then sat on my deck in -5 C for an unknown period of time (they didn't freeze, as far as I could tell).

I'll wait a while before cutting open the bag, then.

#4 HooKworm

HooKworm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:31 PM

Mmmmm. Yellow oyster.

#5 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

So, I waited a while, then made the cuts. A couple of weeks on, it looks like a bunch of expanding foam insulation is bulging out the sides of the bag. So, this glop will differentiate into mushrooms at some point? I guess I'll find out. :biggrin:

Oysters2.jpg

• JACKOLANTERN likes this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,323 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

Did you perhaps get the blocks mixed up? That looks more like Lion's mane than Oysters. If so the blobs will most likely just get bigger.

#7 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

Seems to be OK.  Since late morning, when I posted, the blobs have separated into miniscule oysters! :biggrin:

Oysters3 - Copy.jpg

I'm really enjoying the show.  I guess I should remember to take some spore prints, when they grow out.

#8 JACKOLANTERN

JACKOLANTERN

puking unicorn

• Free Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Nope those are definitely oysters. They love lots of oxygen or they sometimes can look weird. I has some that the caps all of the sudden started growing other mushrooms from them and looking like sea anemones. Still tasted good, just odd.

#9 JACKOLANTERN

JACKOLANTERN

puking unicorn

• Free Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

Did it say to make a cut that big? I would have made smaller X's so they would cluster smaller and more evenly. About an inch across in multiple even spots over the bag. They look good btw.

#10 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

Yup, the supplier was really specific: a 4" long X, on each side of the bag. The instructions for the Lion's Mane specified smaller slits.

24 hours later, they've grown a bit more:

Attached Thumbnails

• Oysters4 .jpg

#11 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

Jackolantern, looking again at the instruction sheet I downloaded, the specifications given are actually for regular oysters, Pleurotus ostreatus. The company didn't provide specific information for their Yellow Oysters. Maybe a smaller X would have been better.

The mushrooms themselves are shapely, but quite small. I wonder if they'll expand? Interesting to watch these things.

#12 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

A day later, they're a bit bigger and prettier. And extremely fragrant!

Oysters 5.jpg

• coorsmikey, Mushinist and Nyla like this

#13 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:15 PM

We had the yellow oysters for supper, last night. Wow, what a tasty mushroom! Better than the chanterelles & Craterellus I pick wild. 

Makes me want to grow my own on a larger scale, one of these days. 

• Sikfreud likes this

#14 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

The Lion's Mane was doing poorly in the plastic tent the kit-makers provided, so I moved them to a tub. They responded enthusiastically to the improved humidity, and are starting to look distinctly leonine.

lion's mane 2.jpg

So much fun!

Edited by WalkingCatfish, 15 January 2019 - 03:33 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#15 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:12 PM

A week later, they're bigger and shaggier, and seem healthy. They still don't look droopy and saggy, like the ones in the pictures.

Lion's mane growing.jpg

• coorsmikey and Mushinist like this

#16 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:26 AM

So, the masses keep on growing, on both sides of the mycelium block, but show no sign of drooping downward, producing the pendulous lobes I've seen in pictures of Hericium erinaceus.  Instead, they're all branchy and lacy, like broccoli gone to seed. Or like coral, maybe.  Could the company have sent me H. coralloides, instead?  Or is this thing going to change its shape soon?

Lion's mane not droopy.jpg

The suspense is killing me. :biggrin:

#17 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,323 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:36 AM

I will get the same coral-like structures on my Lions Mane when in high humidity like in a FC. Outdoors or even indoors let's say on the kitchen counter, I always get the broccoli/cauliflower looking heads. I suspect it's environmental, but I have never gotten them to grow with that hairy droopy look as observed in nature.

• WalkingCatfish and Mushinist like this

#18 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:08 PM

Ah, interesting! Thanks, coorsmikey, that helps a lot.  I've been giving this thing tons of humidity, because it seemed so happy when I put it in the FC, but that must be why it's gone full-fractal. I guess it will still taste, OK...

On the second flush, I'll drop the humidity and give it more air, and see what that does.

#19 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 166 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

I will get the same coral-like structures on my Lions Mane when in high humidity like in a FC. Outdoors or even indoors let's say on the kitchen counter, I always get the broccoli/cauliflower looking heads. I suspect it's environmental, but I have never gotten them to grow with that hairy droopy look as observed in nature.

I had the same problem with my lion's looking more like cauliflower, the person who gifted the culture said to lower the temps, which worked and made them look more normal. It is very hard to get that toothy look like in nature. Taste is not affected regarding how they look though.
Good show WC!
  • coorsmikey and WalkingCatfish like this

#20 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

Your oysters need more humidity, and your lion need less. They look awesome tho.. Just a matter of dialing them in. If you don't have plans for selling them, it is not that important.

• WalkingCatfish likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!