• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:38 PM

didnt see that.. refurbished one 50 bucks https://www.amazon.c..._cr_wdg_tit_rfb

#22 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:27 PM

Either way you'll be happy with it. They dry so much faster than a fan, and you don't have to use desiccant afterwards. 90 or even 160 degrees (I use 90, 110 if they are super fat) will NOT destroy any magic. They don't degrade until about 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

I confirmed this with my Tampanensis tea that I simmered/boiled for almost 2 hrs. I had to keep adding water, and the final product was dark brown after filtering. I used .9g dried fruits and 3g dried stones. It rocked my friggin world. Like eating 3.5g of good cubes. 3g of dried stones is supposed to be equal to about 1g cubes.
  • Sikfreud likes this

#23 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:19 PM

On a related subject, how do you store your shrooms? I cracker dry and vacuum pack them ASAP, then store in the back of a kitchen cupboard until needed. If they are special (stones, cyanescens, etc) I put them in the freezer instead... but they tend not to last very long around me anyway lol...

#24 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:09 PM

I dont have a vacuum sealer so I dehydrate until they're cracker dry, and into a drawer in a plastic bag.

The key for me is placing a small desiccant pack in each large bag, just in case the humidity from the air decided to do funny things.

I don't harvest my stones until I am ready to eat them, so I haven't done long term storage yet. I only once dried out what was left of a jar. They will keep in the fridge in paper bags for weeks, but weigh them beforehand bc they will lose weight, and you want to be able to dose accurately.

If you vacuum pack stones fresh they'll stay good in the fridge for 6 months easy, dont get scared when you open them, they oxidize and turn black. Just rinse and rub the surface it will come off, and it's safe anyway.

If you dry stones they stay good for years, but they're literally like rocks. You wont be able to dose unless you powder them, or make tea as I described.

Edited by Deleena24, 27 December 2018 - 12:11 PM.

#25 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:35 PM

I have 2x Ivation Dehumidifiers with 6x removable shelves & cleanable drip tray. With these if the veil is unbroken I can use all 6 shelves if the cap is open I remove 3x shelves and pack the mushrooms on top. Temperature ranges from 90°F- 158°F.

It has powerful rear and top mounted fans and can handle pounds of mushrooms.

Here is some pictures. They run $100-125 new or as low at $65 refurbished.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181228_162328.jpg
  • IMG_20181228_162345.jpg
  • IMG_20181228_163317.jpg

• coorsmikey likes this

#26 Nyla

Nyla

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:03 PM

I bought a Nesco dehydrator on Amazon, and it was only a little over fifty bucks. I have only tried it out with some apple rings so far, but it seems to work great.

#27 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

I have 2x Ivation Dehumidifiers with 6x removable shelves & cleanable drip tray. With these if the veil is unbroken I can use all 6 shelves if the cap is open I remove 3x shelves and pack the mushrooms on top. Temperature ranges from 90°F- 158°F.

It has powerful rear and top mounted fans and can handle pounds of mushrooms.

Here is some pictures. They run $100-125 new or as low at $65 refurbished.

How long does this unit take to get them cracker dry...??  It takes longer when there are more mushrooms I am guessing?

#28 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

I bought a dehydrator but I am drying my small harvest under a fan because I had some ripe pineapples :). Loving it

#29 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:05 PM

I was reading a thread on Shroomery where someone was asking a string of beginner questions, each being answered patiently. Finally, someone who'd had enough said, "Why don't you educate yourself first by reading 'The Mushroom Cultivator,' or 'Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms'?"

Considering those books were written or co-written by Paul Stamets, I figured that was pretty sound advice. This part about dehydrators was particularly interesting:

"Commercially available food dehydrators are well suited for drying mushrooms. Their only disadvantage is that the trays are often too close together, necessitating the cutting of large mushrooms into thin slices. Or, one can build a dehydrator solely designed for this function and customized to an individual's particular needs. A good dryer should be able to dry the mushrooms in 24-48 hours by passing warm air no hotter than 110°F. Open air drying at room temperature is also feasible using dehumidifiers in combination with air circulation fans. "Flash" drying at high temperatures should be avoided since the mushrooms lose much of their nutritive value and, as the case may be, much of their psilocybin content."

So unless P.S. has recanted or modified that position since 1986, looks like I'll be putting a temperature probe in my dehydrator to see if it exceeds 110°F.

Edited by spakk, 07 January 2019 - 10:09 PM.

#30 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:27 AM

With all due respect for Paul Stamets, god knows he deserves it for every thing he has done, it is pretty commonly believed in the community these days that it is oxygen, not heat that degrades the goodies.  It is a mostly debunked fact from the old days that heat equals the destruction of actives.

I know from my experience that boiling water for 6 to 10 minutes to drive as much dissolved oxygen from it as I can, and then simmering (I assume from my knowledge of basic chemistry, just under 212*F)  my mushrooms in it for more than an hour delivers a dose of tea that won't lead you to believe that it has had a major part of its goodies deactivated.

And the dehydrator I use to dry fruits is a jerky maker, and is designed to bring temps to around 145*ish (IIRC).  If it is seriously degrading my shrooms, then either they were either a strain of super cube's before I dried them, or (the much more likely option) they lose very little of their active properties during the drying process.

Believe what you want, it doesn't really affect me one way or the other, but remember the book your quoting from was written some 35 years ago, and more knowledge has been learned since those days. 

• sandman and spakk like this

#31 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:32 AM

That's the thing about mushroom books, great info, but there really isn't one that is 100 percent updated and accurate. Psilocybin doesn't begin to melt until somewhere around 195 C. Psilocin is around 150 or 175 C don't remember offhand. But both well above boiling. Not even sure melting necessarily means degradation either. Oxidation is the only, in conjunction with moisture content. Higher the moisture content, faster oxidation occurs. Faster you can get rid of moisture, the more oxidation you prevent.

#32 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:21 PM

Well said Juthro and JKD

I was one of those people who believed the hype about no heat and how it degrades the actives.

It's BS.

I've drank tea that was simmered and boiled for hours, and it was the best tea I've ever had. If 212 degrees for several hours wont kill the actives, 95-160 certainly wont.

That segment about having to cut the mushrooms into slices for most dehydrators is so true. I had to modify trays to use as spacers so my bigger mushrooms can fit without being cut up and exposing the insides to oxygen and light.
  • Juthro likes this

#33 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:04 AM

I just purchased an Excalibur Dehydrator for around $200. Its made it America and comes with a full 10 year warranty. These bad boys are considered by most as the "Cadillac of Food Dehydrators".

My Ivation worked so great until the element went out on it. The return process for the Ivation 6x shelf Dehydrator was a bitch since I bought it back in November. It was past the 30 day return window. So I was like screw I'm done with this Chinese shit.

I ended up quadrupling my budget to get the Excalibur and am currently waiting for it in the mail

I went with the Excalibur 2500 w/ horizontal air flow & 5x XL shelves. I'm excited to get it. It should be here in a few days.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
  • Juthro likes this

#34 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:01 PM

Congrats on the Excalibur purchase, I'm jealous :)  It hope it lasts you a long, long time my friend.

I keep telling myself that I will get an Excalibur as soon as my cheep yard sale unit blows up (I've been using it for well over 10 years), but the damn thing just refuses to die....

• MysticalMyco likes this

#35 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

Check eBay used OR go to Excalibur's website and look at refurbished 4 shelf ones for $89.99 they are super limited and will run out. I ordered my 5x shelf Excalibur direct and asked about it the 4 shelf ones they said that offer would be gone in days.
  • Juthro likes this

#36 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:09 PM

You've made so so jealous MysticalMyco that I just pulled the trigger on a 9 tray 2900 economy model for $180, lol.

I'll justify it by giving it to my wife for her B-day :)

• coorsmikey likes this

#37 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Lmao let me know how that works out lol. Better get her something she really wants as well :p.

Edited by Sikfreud, 09 January 2019 - 03:16 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#38 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

I use this one and have added 10 trays to it.

https://www.amazon.com/NESCO-FD-60-Snackmaster-Express-Dehydrator/dp/B000LNVUJQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1547064953&sr=1-10&keywords=nesco+dehydrator

• Juthro likes this

#39 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:28 PM

Lmao let me know how that works out lol. Better get her something she really wants as well :p.

That's the beauty of it, she has really wanted an Excalibur for quite some time :)  

• Sikfreud likes this

#40 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

I hear those are pretty nice units, One.  IIRC, Cue used one like as well, and he had nothing but good things to say about it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!