• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

Lmao let me know how that works out lol. Better get her something she really wants as well :p.

That's the beauty of it, she has really wanted an Excalibur for quite some time :)

Sweet

#42 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

There airflow system is sweet. Parralax is what they call it lol.

Did you get the 10 year warranty or buy it from a 3rd party. Excalibur trays are huge. My model gives me 8sq ft of drying space so yours must be like 13-14sq ft with the 9 tray system.

I love the retro look and simple design of them.

Congrats

Edited by MysticalMyco, 09 January 2019 - 04:27 PM.

#43 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

Its a new unit purchased through Amazon, so the manufacturers warranties should all be good.  My understanding is that this model is being sold at a reduced price due to it being replaced by a newer version.

#44 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

I recently got this 10 tray unit... We will see how long it lasts before it breaks down on me...

10-tray-dehydrator-lem-popup_1.gif

#45 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:52 PM

Gotcha because Excalibur is super strict on retailers minimum prices. The retailer who sell it then sign a contract. In the contract each model listed has a corresponding minimum price.

You actually got a really good deal on yours. Mine will be here soon. Just in time for a test run mini harvest.

I was going to get the 9 self but I still have 1x working Ivation 6x shelf so I figured 11x shelves total would be fine. I'm not like a international dark web shroom dealer and have no intention on being one. I just like sharing shroomies with friends.
  • Juthro likes this

#46 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

LEM makes good products too. That one should last you awhile.

#47 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:06 PM

I went back and looked, and from what I am understanding this model has a 5 year limited warranty. 

It is there 'economy' model and has a smaller heating element then the 'deluxe' model (440watt vs. 600watt), it also doesn't have a timer or a power switch.  But it does have 15 sq ft of drying rack space.   I also really like that all the trays are square (14" x 14") so that you can rotate them 90 deg in the unit to help promote even drying.  Instead of the rectangular style trays that can only be rotated 180 deg.  

It's a heavy bastard as well, coming in at 22lbs empty.  But I wasn't looking for it to be portable, so that's not a problem for me.

#48 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

Yea the one I got is like 15lbs I think. I'm so stoked to use it. All it takes to fill up my working Ivation 6x shelves is one XL tub. The Excalibur will dry faster, more efficient, and have more area.

We need to start a thread sometime soon and call it something like "What is everyone's Mycology Gear?" w/ Pics and stuff.

I like seeing what other people are working with. You can get an idea what the community is using and get an idea for upgrades what people are using

#49 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

YaY, I finally got my new Dehydrator. I see why people swear by the brand. You can fit all sorts of goodies in there. The temp and air flow is consistent. My thermometer reads +/- 3°F from what the dial actually reads.

It made my partially dried mushrooms nice and crispy cracker dry in 3 hours. They were already mostly dried just bendable and gummy.

You'll be happy with your 9 shelf Juthro, I guarantee it.

Now shroomies = crispy as fuck lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190111_153559.jpg
  • IMG_20190111_153744.jpg

• Juthro likes this

#50 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

Very cool :)  I hope it lasts you a lifetime my friend, and that it treats you well the whole time. 

Mine is scheduled to be here in another week or two,  but free shipping is worth the wait in my book (I'm a tightwad).  Not to mention that is closer to my wifes B-day,  lol. 

I'll make sure I check back once mine gets here.

#51 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

It got here a little early :)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0232.jpg

• MysticalMyco likes this

#52 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

Very cool. I have a couple caps in mine. It amazes me how much faster it dries vs. the fan method.

I want to get into drying fruits like apples, strawberries and bananas as well. That's how I sold the idea to my fiance for getting such an expensive unit. Dried fruit and beef jerky lol.

#53 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

My wife is really looking forward to drying homemade pasta, making fruit leather, proofing bread, ect.....  lol

I'll have to schedule an appointment to use it next time I grow some boomers, so that I can get worked into the que :)

#54 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:13 PM

Yea she wants to do the fruit leathers too.

I got a couple chunkers drying out. Just a few stragglers from on of my "end of life" grows. It gifted me with a final 80g (wet). Now I'm going to bury my mycellium patties and have a funeral for them.

I can't wait for summer I'm going to really get Into outdoor patches.19b21a8fd1f959cca2e1290a77893333.jpg
  • Juthro likes this

#55 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:51 PM

DAMN IT!!! The fan burned up on it first run ..... 

The fan started to surge, and then just stopped.  Its not the thermal fuse, cuz the elements still heat up.  Nor is it physically binding on anything, it freewheels easily.  

I'm very disappointed, but I know these things happen sometimes.   I've got my return authorization, and already printed up the label.  I'll take it to the UPS store sometime today to send it back.  Once Amazon receives it, they will refund my credit card, and then I'll decide if I want to get another one through them, or possibly a local provider. 

My wife was too excited about it to not end up with one now, so I will give Excalibur another shot, but I might pay a little extra to purchase it locally, in case I have more trouble. It's much easier to return a product when it doesn't involve shipping it halfway around the world.

#56 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

Holy shit ?!? Yours burnt up. You need to buy from them direct.

Drying123.com

Get the 10 year warranty. Dehydrators will either break right away or within the first year. If you make it past the first year your usually good to go.

That's like really bad luck. Your the first person I've heard/read about who has had a negative experience with them. That really sucks because they are really good units.

Not to rub it in but I am really loving mine. It has cut my drying down by 30-40% in terms of time and holds way more then my 6 shelf Ivation. It gets those shroomies crunchy cracker dry.

I actually pasturized a mini tub of substrate in mine. They get to about 158-160°F on the dial but thet really go +10 degrees hotter (170°F) when the element is on, according to the manual. I put my substrate in a thick aluminum roaster pan & covered it with foil then left it in there over night and BAM the next morning I had my mini tub ready to go again. Perfectly pasturized substrate. It acts as a really efficient low temp convection oven that need no watching. The most important thing is covering up substrate with foil, if you go that route, so it doesn't dry up.

Hopefully the new unit works out. They are really basic units. Most have no digital parts on them unless you pay extra. That's by design for durability. & makes it easy to diagnose if issues arise.

Good luck

Edited by MysticalMyco, 18 January 2019 - 05:58 PM.

• Juthro and PinkMenace like this

#57 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

All right damn it, I've got another one on its way.   

I went with a 3900 model this time, it's basically the same unit as the 2900 I tried.  A nine tray base model (no timer), but with better internal components (thermostat, and fan mostly).  Amazon had a couple of white ones for $30 dollars cheaper than the black models, and that is $100 dollars cheaper than Excalibur sells the same model (white or black, same price) on their site, and it still has the 10 year factory warranty.  So a white 3900 it is.

Wish me luck, its scheduled to be here around the 28th.  I'll check back when I get it.

#58 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:04 AM

I thought it was only right to give an update.   The second unit we got has performed flawlessly, we couldn't be happier.  The amount of material that you can fit in this thing is amazing compared to the old round jerky maker that we used before.

I also really like that the unit is very easily serviceable, once it passes beyond its warintey that is.  With a little TLC, and possibly a part or two, this thing will be a work horse for as long as I want to dehydrate anything.  Reality is that it will outlive me.

I do not hold the fact that my first unit was a dud against Excalibur, no one bats 1000, and they didn't give me any trouble about the refund.  But I do think they are letting their name be used to sell some cheap made replicas.  They sell the cheap stuff online, but wont sell it from their own web store.   Its a corporate tactic that is not new, and I understand why they do it, but I don't like it.

In the end, I'm  thrilled with the unit that we ended up with, and I would recommend it to anyone who wanted to get serious about dehydrating.   

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!