90 replies to this topic

#1 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:53 PM

Isnt it interesting what these things are doing to the market in general?  As it goes even more mainstream and expands, I expect these things to really be the next big thing.  These little disposable cartridges are complex with the heating element inside along with the liquid.  I really like Zen's thread on rosin/shatter, and I almost put my question there, but I figured we should discuss this change as it is massive and sweeping the nation, no shit.  When I think about it, it looks like something best done by a machine shop/factory/warehouse with scaleable equipment, but if someone were growing and refining it all himself, small setup, in a legal place, there's little downside and major upside.  I wonder how its made now.  Bubble hash sounds attractive as well.  Any thoughts?

Edited by riseabovethought, 26 December 2018 - 01:09 PM.

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,661 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2018 - 02:37 PM

Oil in cartridges is now more then half of all Cannabis sales across the board in many of the legal states...It's definitely super-popular. There are ways to use solventless extracts in these things which don't have to be mixed with PG or Glycerine. I'm not so down with the mixing ... Jury is still out on these heating coils and whether they are kosher for long-term health. Be interesting to see studies. Bubbleman is doing great works in all these departments...including Pens being filled with solventless extracts.

https://www.w9tech.c...an-trinity-kit/

• coorsmikey, riseabovethought and Dieseld like this

#3 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:24 PM

Thank you Hyph.  Im so happy we are witnessing this in our lifetimes.  Many generations before us would not have believed it would EVER happen, let alone right now before our very eyes.  So, aside from making the oil, who's making the cartridges?  I wonder if some company in China is making them in mass, and maybe even filling them too?  Its a small world and getting smaller.  When it comes to green business, I think this is the future.  Somebody could get the necessary equip to refine the oil from one's own grow, also obtain (or build out from scratch) then fill the cartridges, and stock whatever you dont need...Im talking about a legal place to grow of course, and soon you'll be sitting on your retirement.  I know Im not the only one having this vision for the future, and many companies are poised to monopolize the whole thing...some companies have already secured several pseudo- monopolies on different aspects of the supply chain, so you can tell already that the DIYer could catapult himself past all that non-sense by just doing all the work himself, all the way from seed to oil.  Sounds like the perfect retirement plan to me.

Edited by riseabovethought, 26 December 2018 - 03:27 PM.

• TheObserver likes this

#4 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:48 PM

I grow my own for my family and close friends. The vape cartridges are awesome and discreet. I was going to make some oil using ethanol then cut it with small amounts of PG. You can buy the empty cartridges .5 ml or 1 ml. I don't see that being any more harmful then smoking it. I'll let you all know how it works out. I'm curious to see if anyone else in here has been successful.
  • TheObserver and riseabovethought like this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:01 PM

I grow my own for my family and close friends.

Off Topic: But it's funny, the more you grow, the less you need.

As to the vape pen catridges: They are becoming known in colloquial as "toppers". And you bet, they're handy.  Low odor - can be hit (with discretion) in public spaces in open view. The "off-gassing" is pleasant and does not arouse suspicion beyond raised eyebrows and jealous recognizers of the scent - so long as one is not "obvious". 

Thanks Hypea - f-ing big time!!!  I have some "gel" (terps and other goodies) which I was wondering if I could load without further dissolution. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181226_164716 - Copy.jpg
  • 20181226_164841 - Copy.jpg

• TheObserver, riseabovethought and peacefrog like this

#6 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:42 PM

Load into a vape cartridge? Depends on consistency if it's real thick the wick won't absorb it and the coil will burn.
  • Myc likes this

#7 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:22 PM

... the more you grow, the less you need.

As to the vape pen catridges:

I have some "gel" (terps and other goodies) which I was wondering if I could load without further dissolution. 

Exactly!  I am wondering if you could school me on those toppers a bit.  Terpenes and distillates, right?  Can someone enlighten me on this?  It seems its a concentrate of distillates but how do they make it?  Bubble method?  Ive always associated it with hash, but its different; light and clean and supercharged...  The more crystals the better the oil or gel or toppers of course, but what about shwag- just for my own understanding- would it yield anything if pressed, and obviously the more you DIY, the better because you really know where it came from. 

Feels like a lot of room for malfuckery though; bad oil, setting up the opportunity for assholes to pass off other types of things we shouldnt be inhaling perhaps.  And what are some of those other goodies one might mix in (besides flavors) Any other interesting psychedelics worth being mixed in?

Edited by riseabovethought, 28 December 2018 - 02:16 PM.

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:37 PM

I'm still learning about it myself but here is the digested analysis so far:

Solvents like PPG (propylene glycol) and PEG (polyethylene glycol) are used to dissolve or reduce the viscosity of various extracts. Many "toppers" are made using these solvents. 

Lately, there has been a push to move away from the solvents and to produce what is called "pure cannabis distillate" - which can be loaded directly into a "topper" without further dissolution. When shopping for "toppers" I'll be looking for this type of product from now on. 

The extract featured in the photos included with my comment is the result of some days in a vacuum oven at specific temperature(s) and atmospheric pressure. I think it takes quite awhile to make. 

Sikfreud actually had one of the best comments regarding consistency. If the wick cannot become saturated with the product, the coil will just burn up. So just randomly loading stuff into toppers it not a good idea. 

Re: Schwag

Yes, you can press the goods out of schwag and trim but it won't be your best product. Using a heated press renders "rosin" hash. It's dab-able but it still has a lot of waxes and other contaminants which will leave residue on your rig. 

• riseabovethought likes this

#9 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:35 PM

There is a ton of info out there if you look around. But basically you are stripping the tricomes and or terpenes off the plant matter. I wouldn't really use PG to do this. It is usually done with butane, ethenol, or CO2. CO2 makes the purest but it is also the most expensive equipment. Some don't like CO2 because it strips the terpenes but I think they can be re introduced. I would use PG to change the viscosity because it will mix with it at low temps. I'm no expert I've made some oil out of ethenol and I have made a bunch of dry ice hash. I like to make Canna Butter well Canna coconut oil. Which you just convert the THC by heating it at low temps 250 for an hour. Then mix it with coconut oil in a crock pot on low for 3 hours strain then use it instead of butter or oil for baking

Edited by Sikfreud, 28 December 2018 - 02:39 PM.

#10 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:47 PM

Lol it wouldn't let me finish my long winded comment.

Anyway I love making capsules and salve out of the coconut oil.

groweedeasy.com has a lot of good dyi stuff on it.

Cannabis is such a wonderful plant it has so many wonderful uses.

Namaste'

Edited by Sikfreud, 28 December 2018 - 02:48 PM.

#11 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

I wonder if coconut oil would work just as well in the vape pen.

#12 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

Thats all it takes really, pressure and time

[Direct Link]

• Juthro likes this

#13 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

Please do not use coconut oil in a vape pen. Not good.

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,149 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:20 PM

I really like the convenience, and stealth of vape pens.  I got a set up this last summer so I could sneak some hits with straight laced house guests visiting.   I find the concentrates work very well for helping with my back pain, but for a recreational buzz I think I still prefer my pipe, and some flowers.  Though I really do enjoy all of the flavor you get from the pen.

• Myc, peacefrog and Sikfreud like this

#15 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,661 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:37 PM

Anyone have any links for PG/glycerine-free , just 100% Cannabis resin recipes/instructions for use in vape pens? I know some units work and many don't if you don't add that stuff. Bubbleman's trinity pens work with straight rosin and in this case Terp-Sauce

[Direct Link]

I have a pen-like vape that is a bit fatter then the ciggy-type that uses a coil and I can load it with anything from shatter to hash to oily resin. Works awesome....Justa tad big is all. Can't remember the brand name offhand on that unit.

Edited by hyphaenation, 28 December 2018 - 09:45 PM.

• peacefrog likes this

#16 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:09 AM

Holy Shit- i cant believe I even said that.  Breathing oil by definition is one of the worst things any living creature could do, in fact it kills in huge swaths of millions every year impoversihed who breath the cooking oil that they use for cooking, takes the lives of under 5 year olds in huge numbers worldwide.  It was then hypothesized that giving those people dried corncobs to burn for fuel instead of oil, which would spare those so many lives lost from beathing in cooking oil fumes.  Therefore, its fascinating that cannabis distillates are not really oil, referred to as liguid or toppers, it burns entirely differently than a seed oil burns.  I can go along with that. 

But again, it raises danger bells, because someones gonna do that shit.  Fuck.   

Edited by riseabovethought, 02 January 2019 - 11:55 AM.

#17 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:33 AM

I have recently started messing with this.  I make dry sift hash that's pretty high purity using a set of screens and a paint roller wrapped in parchment paper to separate the heads.  I got a  liquidizer starter kit from massterpenes.com.  Super impressed with the results. A gram of the sift and a few drops of the liquidizer (roughly .3ml), a little time in the oven and mixing and a pass through a .45 micron syringe filter gets a very smooth nicely clear-amber colored oil that tastes and works just as well as any that I've bought.

Definitely will use again.

eWQd9vh.png

#18 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:44 PM

Holy Shit- i cant believe I even said that.  Breathing oil by definition is one of the worst things any living creature could do, in fact it kills in huge swaths of millions every year impoversihed who breath the cooking oil that they use for cooking, takes the lives of under 5 year olds in huge numbers worldwide.  It was then hypothesized that giving those people dried corncobs to burn for fuel instead of oil, which would spare those so many lives lost from beathing in cooking oil fumes.  Therefore, its fascinating that cannabis distillates are not really oil, referred to as liguid or toppers, it burns entirely differently than a seed oil burns.  I can go along with that. 

But again, it raises danger bells, because someones gonna do that shit.  Fuck.   

And yet Medipen in the UK says:-

We use only the highest quality legal cannabinoid extracts (CBD, CBDV, CBG) combined with Pharmaceutical Grade Coconut Oil to produce our proprietary signature gold blend formula found in every MediPenĀ®

(from https://medipen.co/)

• riseabovethought likes this

#19 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

HOLY Shit!  They really are using Coconut oil?  Holy fucking shit.  Guinea pigs aint got shit on us!  If this is true, I can only safely assume that the people making this, arent real keen on human physiology and will learn soon enough once the lawsuits start.  Lets hope thats just one isolated case and most of the other liquids are not actual oil of any kind.  Humph! 

#20 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

HOLY Shit! They really are using Coconut oil? Holy fucking shit. Guinea pigs aint got shit on us! If this is true, I can only safely assume that the people making this, arent real keen on human physiology and will learn soon enough once the lawsuits start. Lets hope thats just one isolated case and most of the other liquids are not actual oil of any kind. Humph!

I've been vaping their product for 2 or 3 years ... What do you expect it to have done to me?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!