132 replies to this topic

#121 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

Yes.

I've seen some pieces of wood, I throw them out some times. Didn't think much of it.

Alright!

• Deleena24 and Ferather like this

#122 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 413 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

So to confirm, you did grain jars to OMG sub? Any poo, gypsum, coir, etc? And what do you think was your grain to spawn volume ratio?

While we are talking OMG again, what was that really good organic soil mentioned a few weeks ago? Maybe was Mikey who mentioned? I looked and did not see it in my neighborhood but I'd like to find some.

Edited by raymycoto, 11 February 2019 - 08:03 PM.

#123 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:29 PM

Of the tree tubs started last week two were made out of two 1-quart WBS jars. The ratio was about 4-1. Those jars are bad news, I don't expect to see good results from those. I'm just test running my skills for bulking as first timer. The other one tub I used 3 1/2 pint brf jars....that's the one colonizing nicely after only a few days. Pure OMG...nothing else added.

I made two more tubs from brf jars over the weekend, same process. It's the OMG potting mix pictured on the first post from D24.

Edited by TheArchangel, 12 February 2019 - 12:39 AM.

• Ferather and Billcoz like this

#124 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:07 PM

I have also taken inspiration from D24 and others. Not super hopeful, as I took the 18 cakes that flushed 4 times, but we'll see!Trimmed off the outer layers of each (in hopes to reduce contams) and grated them up into in to a coir/organic potting soil/verm mixture. Used 3 trimmed cakes per shoebox, so roughly a 3:3:1:1 mix. 6 total tubs. First one I did on 2/9 is showing some signs of colonization, fingers crossed!

The store I went to didn't have OMG so I just went with the closest organic soil they had. More of an experiment than anything. I'll post some pics if I get some results!

Thanks for all the info, especially from D24.

#125 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:11 AM

What would be really efficient is an O2 concentrator that collected the removed nitrogen as a soluble form, so you can add it to medias, lol.

Anyhow I have no idea if over the standard atmospheric oxygen level will benefit mycelium, or cause mutation.

I also sounds like it might be expensive, I'm sure just exhaust's and fans will be sufficient.

#126 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:46 PM

I'm spawning trays PEU and APE to the OMG today, and each strain to a tray of hpoo mix.

I've got more spawn that will be ready in 2 days, I'll put some in the Martha, too.

Also, I'm going to spawn my 85g PFC clone to each substrate to see how clones will perform side by side. Wont be ready to post until tonight,though.
  • Ferather and Billcoz like this

#127 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:47 PM

Day 4 on organic soil/coir/verm mix. They seem to be moving along nicely! No signs of contams in any of the 6 tubs. I opened them and fanned just a smidge tonight. Keeping the room around a constant 75 degrees.

This is my first time doing tubs, should I go ahead and melt some holes and cover with micropore now for some gas exchange, or wait til they're about to pop, then do everything (add the top tub and do the holes)?

Very pleased with the progress so far! Cheers!5deeaf982f04e1cae64dfd146e6b1346.jpg3d31fbf6421479dccc42c099529baf8f.jpg

#128 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 764 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:38 PM

So to confirm, you did grain jars to OMG sub? Any poo, gypsum, coir, etc? And what do you think was your grain to spawn volume ratio?

While we are talking OMG again, what was that really good organic soil mentioned a few weeks ago? Maybe was Mikey who mentioned? I looked and did not see it in my neighborhood but I'd like to find some.

Ocean Forrest by Fox Farm is good organic soil, I remember it being mentioned in a thread, possibly this one, haven't checked, but for plants at least, it is one of the better soils at hydroponics shops.

• raymycoto likes this

#129 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 764 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:48 PM

This is my first time doing tubs, should I go ahead and melt some holes and cover with micropore now for some gas exchange, or wait til they're about to pop, then do everything (add the top tub and do the holes)?

I would let it set like it is for a few days until the surface is more white, unless you put a casing layer on, in which case it looks ready, otherwise I would leave it un-modded until  the surface is mostly white, and you could leave it hole-less, I do that with some because my house air is dry as hell. You could do like 1/4" holes every 2", or 6 1" holes, I would cover them with 2 layers of tape.

Good luck.

• SkeleDan likes this

#130 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:58 PM

[/quote]
I would let it set like it is for a few days until the surface is more white, unless you put a casing layer on, in which case it looks ready, otherwise I would leave it un-modded until the surface is mostly white, and you could leave it hole-less, I do that with some because my house air is dry as hell. You could do like 1/4" holes every 2", or 6 1" holes, I would cover them with 2 layers of tape.
Good luck.[/quote]

Yeah, it's no where near ready for fruiting. Most tubs I've seen keep it covered until it's ready to fruit, but some use the holes right off the go for some gas exchange. Since I failed to make the holes (except for one tub) prior to tubbing, I'll just wait until they're fully colonized, then do the holes and case.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by SkeleDan, 13 February 2019 - 11:59 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#131 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

Day 4 on organic soil/coir/verm mix. They seem to be moving along nicely! No signs of contams in any of the 6 tubs. I opened them and fanned just a smidge tonight. Keeping the room around a constant 75 degrees.

Very pleased with the progress so far! Cheers!5deeaf982f04e1cae64dfd146e6b1346.jpg3d31fbf6421479dccc42c099529baf8f.jpg

No, wait until you're fully colonized to put the holes. The less you mess with it while colonizing the better.

There should, however, be a couple small holes poked in that plastic to allow for a small amount of GE, IMO. I like using a toothpick when dealing with saran wrap and I just make like 4 to 6 holes. If you're super paranoid you can cover those with some micropore, but it shouldn't be necessary.

After I spawn I just put the lid that comes with the tote on. It's not airtight, so it gets plenty of GE that way.

Remember, and this goes to everyone, if you're using the microwave it's pretty much sterilization, so try not to keep opening the tubs and peeking or misting, because as you should know sterilizated subs catch the green ninja easier than pastuerized. This is just 1 of many reasons I prefer using a high spawn ratio. At least 1 to 2, closer to 1 to 1 spawn to bulk, especially with the bigger grains like corn ( Less innoculation points). This allows for rapid colonization, so the mycelium takes hold before anything else can.

They're colonizing, just leave them be as if it was anything else colonizing like grain or a cake. You wouldn't open those up and mist, right?
I just needed to put that out there.

Otherwise looking good. I'd let those consolidate at least 4 or 5 more days, maybe longer if it's not as colonized as I think.

Edited by Deleena24, 14 February 2019 - 01:49 PM.

• Billcoz and SkeleDan like this

#132 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:56 PM

No, wait until you're fully colonized to put the holes. The less you mess with it while colonizing the better.

There should, however, be a couple small holes poked in that plastic to allow for a small amount of GE, IMO. I like using a toothpick when dealing with saran wrap and I just make like 4 to 6 holes. If you're super paranoid you can cover those with some micropore, but it shouldn't be necessary.

After I spawn I just put the lid that comes with the tote on. It's not airtight, so it gets plenty of GE that way.

Remember, and this goes to everyone, if you're using the microwave it's pretty much sterilization, so try not to keep opening the tubs and peeking or misting, because as you should know sterilizated subs catch the green ninja easier than pastuerized. This is just 1 of many reasons I prefer using a high spawn ratio. At least 1 to 2, closer to 1 to 1 spawn to bulk, especially with the bigger grains like corn ( Less innoculation points). This allows for rapid colonization, so the mycelium takes hold before anything else can.

They're colonizing, just leave them be as if it was anything else colonizing like grain or a cake. You wouldn't open those up and mist, right?
I just needed to put that out there.

Otherwise looking good. I'd let those consolidate at least 4 or 5 more days, maybe longer if it's not as colonized as I think.

Copy all, thanks!

They may need a bit longer, as it's a pretty low spawn to bulk ratio. I did that for 2 reasons, first, I'm a noob Second, wanted to increase my chances of having some success, considering the cakes I used were flushed 4 times and the chance for contams is much higher. The trimming of the cakes seems to have worked well so far, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated D24! Cheers!
  • Deleena24 and Billcoz like this

#133 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:35 PM

I had to wait for the APE and the rest of the PEU, but I was able to spawn 1 dubtub of PEU to OMG and about a cup of vermiculite bc it was still a bit too wet. Looks good now.

I also spawned a tub of my PFClassic clone to a tub of OMG, and also a tub of the same clone to my hpoo mix. It was much dry than I wanted for the first flush, but I think it will be fine.

I'll post picture in a few days when there us visible and obvious growth showing through the sides of the bins...you should know by now I'm too lazy to tape the side or use lines. I figure side pins are just extra ugly ones perfect for tea LOL.
  • Billcoz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!