229 replies to this topic

#1 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:08 PM

I had a bag of this stuff laying around, unopened, and I looked at the ingredients. Other than the perlite, which there isn't alot of, the ingredients sound nice. Castings, coir, alfalfa, etc.

So I had literally like 2 tablespoons of RGS stuck to the bottom of a quart of PEU. I didnt sterilize, microwave or pastuerize it, but I put about 1/2 pint of this Miracle Gro in there mix everything up nice, and spray it until it was moist.

Next thing ya know I had a nice little flush of PEU, here's a shot of it on its 2nd flush, pinning again. So since that crazy unsterile experiment worked, and it pinned so nicely, I wanted to go bigger, to see how well it would work. This stuff was crazy cheap in Walmart. Less than 3$ at the time.

I hydrated about 3lbs of the stuff, put it in a ziplock, and microwaved it for 9 minutes. When it was cool, I mixed it with 1.5lbs of extra PESA rye spawn I had around that I could play with. That's was on the 20th, and these pics are from today. I'm going for a dubtub setup, and I will keep you all updated.

It would be cool if this produces well. That means I found a premixed bulk sub that only needs to be pastuerized or PCed. No having to guess on what to put in the sub. Perfect for a beginner looking to get into bulk. That's if its reliable of course.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181228_125051.jpg
  • 20181228_125035.jpg
  • 20181228_125029.jpg
  • 20181228_125209.jpg
  • 20181228_124927.jpg
  • 20181228_124946.jpg

Edited by Deleena24, 28 December 2018 - 02:10 PM.

• raymycoto and DanceOfBliss like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:38 PM

I've been using Oceans Forest soil from Fox Farms as a universal sub for many species for years. I do mix some coir in with it though. I think quality potting soils that don't contain a shit ton of wood products like the cheap ones, make excellent subs that put out more flushes than traditional subs. That Nature's Care soil, I see it at home depot all the time on clearance. Usually hidden and forgotten under the house plant section.  

• Sidestreet, Microbe and Bobotrank like this

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,981 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:11 PM

Miracle Grow Moisture Control was widely used 10 or 15 years ago. I had access to hpoo at the time, used it 50/50.

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:48 PM

I have used the M.G. perlite for my SG, but changed it out after I got verticillium on a cake, it was prolly from me working in my garden and coming in the room dirty, but there was a lot of root debris and dirt in the M.G. perlite, so I tossed it in case.

I got a huge bag of "Vigoro" perlite, which was good. Those cheap, pine saw dust based potting soils really suck for plants, but it's cool you found a use & it makes sense that the wood in it would be beneficial to mushies.

The cheap-ass "Burpee natural" brand vermiculite from wal-mart($1.68) seemed WAY better(almost no dust) to me than the "espoma organic" brand, which is $6.99 at the hydro shopnear me(was very fine with a lot of dust), or the "NK lawn & garden"that I bought today for $6.39 at Ace Hardware, which is worse than the others, it's extremely dusty. They are all "fine" grade, but the Wal-mart brand was the coarsest of the three.

Edited by Billcoz, 28 December 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#5 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:51 PM

Yes, it's always on clearance wherever I see it.

Here is a pic of it dry, straight from the bag. It is really fluffy and not powdery at al. It it really mostly coir, 65% i think and a decent amount of castings, plus nitrogen and nutrients, all while apparently adjusted to a neutral PH already. Its apparantly pretty clean, too bc of the little quarts invitro pic you see. Obviously I could've gotten very lucky, but it shows no trich is added.

Any wood in it is finely ground, when you pick up a handful the only obvious pieces in it is the perlite, which I suppose acts somewhat like verm. It colonized VERY fast. Just as fast as my hpoo bags.

As for the perlite containing miracle gro, make sure you rinse it very well with hot water several times, even add some bleach while cleaning. The vert shouldn't come.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181228_174228.jpg

#6 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:37 PM

I rinsed/soaked the MG perlite with peroxide/water, then rinsed well with salt water when I fruited my first batch. I think the vert wa from later on when I was working in my garden outside, and came in and misted/fanned, and I even thought about it, but it was a while after that I had vert

The perlite really just bothered me because it had so much root debris, peat, and black crap, plus it has MG plant food added to it, though it gets rinsed.

I just had a thought, I was reading the other day on some online forum, & they were telling some new grower, who asked a question about cakes in a monotub, and someone replied telling them to use a SGFC + perlite, but then said that misting/fanning is NOT necessary with sgfc(!), and like five people replied in agreement. I just thought that was fucked up, has that EVER been a thing?

Edited by Billcoz, 28 December 2018 - 11:51 PM.

#7 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:19 AM

I mean, a single filterpatch on a bag gives me beautiful flushes.. a big mono with nice filtered holes all over and perlite...why not? With cubes anyway.
  • Billcoz and DanceOfBliss like this

#8 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,981 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:22 AM

Truth be told, all that fanning and misting just keeps new growers busy till they learn the life cycle, and gets some first hand experience with good and bad growth conditions. SGFC properly set up, and with a decent load of cakes.( a bunch of cakes, full SGFC is easier to maintain than one or two cakes) Shouldn't need much fanning or misting. Maybe a mist a day. I've fruited a lot of cakes in tubs with no holes, a large one with perlite, smaller ones with wet paper towels. They get one or two air exchanges a day.
  • coorsmikey, WalkingCatfish and DanceOfBliss like this

#9 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:03 PM

^^^ What he said ^^^

I open every single tub 2-4 times a day depending on where they are at during life cycle. My first tub ever, out of 12-13 tubs that are currently running, is the only one that had any sort of filter patch. I can't get to the tubs that day I just crack the lid to leave it open, maybe an inch or two, for the length of time im gone. I do use filters on myco bags but that's just because my friends over at shroomsupply have them on there. I've been using those for grains though.

My smallest tubs usually pull 7-10oz (2 flush) dry and I'm in the process of upgrading to these huge ones so the jury is still out on yields with them. There is over double the surface space from my smallest to largest. So hopefully I can get over a pound dried with the big boys. Thats the goal at least anything more is a bonus. I also use to let it go to the 4th,5th,6th flush now I usually end it after the second flush maybe if I'm lazy a 3rd flush. Total weight and being efficient, with fast turnovers, has been the name of the game recently for my situation.

Just to be clear there is absolutely nothing wrong with filters, most people use them. I haven't had any complications either way. The most certainly can't hurt anything.

Edited by MysticalMyco, 29 December 2018 - 12:05 PM.

• DanceOfBliss likes this

#10 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:12 PM

Truth be told, all that fanning and misting just keeps new growers busy till they learn the life cycle, and gets some first hand experience with good and bad growth conditions. SGFC properly set up, and with a decent load of cakes.

LOL, that's funny as hell JK! The guys in the post I was reading were actually saying that "that was the great thing about SGs, you they are automated, you don't fann SGs.", or that's roughly what I remember.

It's just that they made it seem like SGFCs were more hands-off than MONOs in particular, because that was what the guy was asking about.

I am not sure if cakes would do as well in a mono as in a SG, but I think their repliesw were not the best way to explain the concept of the SG being b3etter for someone learning, as you pointed out, JK

Mystical M, before the furnace started running all the time, up until DEC, I  had the 6 qt dubtubs set so that all I did was open it for a  minute everyday, with paint-suit tyvec patches over six 1.25" FAE holes, dialed with strips of micropore, and single layer micropore over a row of 0.25", & six 1.25" GE holes.

I had a tiny fan facing away from the tubs at the opposite wall, about eight feet away, that would run a few hours a day, and that kept condensation in the tub(walls) except around the holes, and they were producing fatter(but short), wide capped, less hollow-stemmed fruits, that looked really nice compared to a lot of the cake-grown ones.\

I never liked polyfil after trying and seeing stray, floaty  poly fibers landing on the sub, and dingle berries on it after accidentally bumping the sub, so I tried micropore, and had to layer it, that is expensive, so I tried different tyvecs, and the paint-suit seems to breath better than envelopes, but not as much as micropore, and seems alright.

I am gonna use un-modded tubs(no holes) for the winter from now on, to keep RH up.

Edited by Billcoz, 29 December 2018 - 12:30 PM.

#11 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:03 PM

We have pins! They're hard to see, but they're there. Also a tiny amount of side pins, but the top had hundreds of primidora knotting. I am very confident I will get a solid flush from this.

The mycelium is strong and is colonizing up the plastic like an agar dish.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190105_142836.jpg
  • 20190105_142856.jpg
  • 20190105_142920.jpg
  • 20190105_143029.jpg

• Bobotrank and DanceOfBliss like this

#12 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

Pins popping up everywhere from where those knots were. More pins are popping up by the hr. I am impressed with how evenly distributed the pins are so far.

I have a feeling this is going to be a huge flush.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190106_174714.jpg

• Billcoz likes this

#13 AbnormalMortaL

AbnormalMortaL

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:16 PM

And you just microwaved the MG for 9 minutes??

#14 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:10 PM

And you just microwaved the MG for 9 minutes??

Yeah, I filled a gallon ziplock about 3/4 full of the MG, hydrated it a bit past where you want it to be, since I knew some would steam off, left the corner unzipped about an inch, and nuked for 9 minutes.

It looked like a balloon about to pop after 5 or 6 minutes from all the steam LOL.

I made sure to close the corner as soon as it was done, and allowed the bag to cool overnight.

BTW, there was an explosion of pins today. They are evenly distributed across the top, and I am expecting something resembling a canopy, but there are also side and bottom pins everywhere.

I probably should've blacked out the sides and bottom. Oh well, I don't mind squashed mushrooms. I just wanted proof of concept. I'll post pics later, give the pins another few hrs to develop before I take more.
  • AbnormalMortaL likes this

#15 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:38 PM

Hey Deleena, I asked this in another thread, but I want a lot of opinions, so I'll ask you yhere. Is 8 days into colonizing the sub too late to add a casing? 

Edited by Billcoz, 07 January 2019 - 04:38 PM.

#16 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

IMO, not at all. When I do case my cubes I wait until the sub is 100% colonized, and even wait to see the start of knotting. Then I case thinly.

It's called Late Casing and works great. You dont have to wait for knots, though, just case after the tray or tub or whatever is colonized, go thin.

#17 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

As I suspected, the tub exploded with pins, everywhere, but mostly on top where I want them.

After this tub, I will continue the thread to see how well it works for multiple flushes, with different strains, species, and so on.

I am so happy with these results, so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190108_115335.jpg
  • 20190108_115345.jpg
  • 20190108_115443.jpg

• Billcoz likes this

#18 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:59 AM

Yo Deleena, how long have you been vip? I am a broke bitch and keep putting it off, but I gotta get on that soon.

Tubs look great, I am hving some success with mine too. It amazes me how much I have had to mist since winter started to get good flushes. I imagine it's maade worse because when I spawned these two tubs, I was running out of verm, so it's like 80/20 c/v or worse. Coir dries much quicker.

Edited by Billcoz, 09 January 2019 - 12:59 AM.

#19 AbnormalMortaL

AbnormalMortaL

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:12 AM

Another question i had was i see the dome looks like a standard size tote, but what size is the bottom one that has the sub in it? I want to get the same ones if possible so they have the same top measurements.

I just noticed it was the photo angle and they are the same size..my bad

Edited by AbnormalMortaL, 09 January 2019 - 11:14 AM.

#20 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

Bill, I went VIP like 3 days ago LOL. I wanted to be able to trade spores and help out the community more.

Yeah, since winter started the humidity has dropped like nobody's business. I had to make adjustments to my Martha. Having to mist more is totally normal.

Mortal, yeah dude it's a dubtub! LoL They're 2 identical tubs, but you figured that out LMAO

They're standard 6qt shoebox totes BTW. I like to keep my projects small so they can be easily isolated.

Edited by Deleena24, 09 January 2019 - 12:50 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!