#41 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

I like the idea of composted pond muck! The Oceans Forest has been good to me! I would much rather talk about composted fish emulsion than beating the dead horse with MG. Funny I just searched comments I've made about this in the past and you are the first reply after all the ones I looked at. We should get a thread going on this alone.

• PJammer24 likes this

#42 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:01 PM

Don't know much about potting soils. I realize that MG is the McDonalds in the world of potting soil. Read about FoxFarm and seems to be a quality / artisan product for horticulture. If I find a source that's close then I'll throw it into a comparison grow with all this experimentation.  Which Fox Farm product are we talking about that might make a good sub?

One of these?  https://www.foxfarmf...nditioners.html

#43 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:53 PM

Don't know much about potting soils. I realize that MG is the McDonalds in the world of potting soil. Read about FoxFarm and seems to be a quality / artisan product for horticulture. If I find a source that's close then I'll throw it into a comparison grow with all this experimentation.  Which Fox Farm product are we talking about that might make a good sub?

One of these?  https://www.foxfarmf...nditioners.html

Ocean Forest is foxfarm, that's a top quality soil that is a lil hot for plants and i like to cut it with some pro-mix or coir, but fore mushrooms, IDK, but it is one of the best soils though.

• raymycoto likes this

#44 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,062 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:16 AM

That kinda says it. The McDonald's comparison. I still might give an Olive Garden.( the McDonald's of Italian Restaurants) And I love McDonald's.

Random McDonald's observation, if you're in the North East, McDonald's coffee beats Starbucks hands down. If you're in the South, its often crap.

Concerning innoculating an entire bag of some product with LC, I wouldn't think it impossible. You're dealing with a live culture. I don't think there's going to be a perfect product though.

Maybe supplemented with hpoo.
  • Microbe likes this

#45 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:16 AM

Concerning innoculating an entire bag of some product with LC, I wouldn't think it impossible. You're dealing with a live culture. I don't think there's going to be a perfect product though.

Yeah, for sure. I tried that early on in my limited mycology experience of a whole year. No bueno. It's some combination of wrong hydration / substrate / sterility / GE. If it was that easy then hobbyists and industry would, uh, be doing that already.

Edited by raymycoto, 15 January 2019 - 09:16 AM.

#46 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,062 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:23 AM

I'm just thinking lots of folks get results from burying spent things outside. Maybe lay it flat outside, split it open and bury half a dozen fresh cakes in it. Then seed it down with basil to get a bit of shade.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#47 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

I was in Home Depot, and yes there are many quality potting soils. I read through the ingredients on about 8 brands, and they're all basically the same as the Organic MG, except they add extra organisms.

If I am going to experiment with MG, it's going to be with the organic stuff I used, not the regular MG. That stuff IS terrible. I mentioned using that LC on it bc I had a bag of it from the previous owners of my house and was using it as a garbage can for mushroom stuff LOL.

The reason I want to stick with the Organic MG, is that I want to stick to something that can be found at ANY store, and is super cheap. It also happens to work well so far.

Edited by Deleena24, 15 January 2019 - 01:25 PM.

• TheArchangel likes this

#48 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:31 PM

I like the idea of composted pond muck! The Oceans Forest has been good to me! I would much rather talk about composted fish emulsion than beating the dead horse with MG. Funny I just searched comments I've made about this in the past and you are the first reply after all the ones I looked at. We should get a thread going on this alone.

Beating a dead horse? I haven't found a single grow with the organic stuff. I understand you don't like it, but I am getting good results...

What's with the negativity? I thought I got a good flush from a widely available and cheap product.
  • OldBear, raymycoto, TheArchangel and 1 other like this

#49 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:57 PM

If you read up a lil further, I did say Nature's Care was a step up. I was not being negative at all but encouraging the possibility of using the same idea with better quality soils. Natures Care is a brand of MG but is of better quality for what we want it for. Like you said, It's coir based rather than composted bark and wood with chemicals added. MG garden soil, Potting Soil, Moisture Control, and Potting Mix is crap and I'm sorry if that is perceived as negative. Beating a dead horse relates back 15-20 years ago when there were a lot of us trying these same experiments. It's not a new discovery. That subject has literally brought up and debated upon so much that for years even saying MG or ferts was taboo. I have simply found that there are some potting soils that are excellent substrates and got beat up for even talking about in the past. I will continue to encourage people not to waste there time it like beating a dead horse.

• Deleena24 likes this

#50 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

If you read up a lil further, I did say Nature's Care was a step up. I was not being negative at all but encouraging the possibility of using the same idea with better quality soils. Natures Care is a brand of MG but is of better quality for what we want it for. Like you said, It's coir based rather than composted bark and wood with chemicals added. MG garden soil, Potting Soil, Moisture Control, and Potting Mix is crap and I'm sorry if that is perceived as negative. Beating a dead horse relates back 15-20 years ago when there were a lot of us trying these same experiments. It's not a new discovery. That subject has literally brought up and debated upon so much that for years even saying MG or ferts was taboo. I have simply found that there are some potting soils that are excellent substrates and got beat up for even talking about in the past. I will continue to encourage people not to waste there time it like beating a dead horse.

I had no idea original MG was so taboo LOL. When you said beating a dead horse thats what you meant...I thought you were talking about the whole thread, my bad.

I knew from my time here over 10 yrs ago that regular MG was crap for mushrooms, I remember people having very strong opinions about it. For anyone reading this thread...the regular MG is shit, and not in the good way. Stay away from it.

I have known about quality potting soils being good substrates. Buffaloam was used a lot back in the day, but most of the good ones aren't widely available. You gotta go to a nursery or order it online. I specifically am using Organic MG because is ISNT a fancy top grade soil, you can walk into pretty much any hardware store and get it. If they carry MG, they will usually have the Organic stuff, too. The lowest of low tek teks.

When I originally stated this thread, it was bc of an accident. Because of the reputation of MG, I never thought I'd get a single pin from that handful of unsterile sub. It surprised the hell out of me, which is why I am documenting everything.

Also, the consistency and hydration of it are just nice. Really fluffy.

I'm going to try other species on it, too. So everyone get out yer sticks, I'm bringing the horse! LOL.

#51 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

I just did my best to find a grow on any site that used this newer Organic MG...nobody even tried it. It seems a few years back it was like how you said it was...you got shamed for even bringing up new MG products, although some were using the fertilizer as additives with applause...

There was something called MG Expand and Gro, but it had like 10% nitrogen and used those pellet things. The stuff I am using is only soil, with a very small amount of perlite. There was actually one user, anne harmonium, who swore by it. She got good results, but the pictures are all gone fore me, but she still got so much shit for even trying it.

I totally understand what you meant earlier, mikey

Edit- just FYI the original tiny PEU experiment is on its 4th small flush.

And I wanted to add the total nitrogen in the OMG I am using is 0.15%

Edited by Deleena24, 15 January 2019 - 03:48 PM.

• raymycoto and Billcoz like this

#52 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

Remember the days that coir was to only be used as a casing? Coir alone could not support a grow? Gosh, it's nice to see that we have evolved so much. By all means, please post your results. I do think that era of shame we missed some good information due to the folks (including myself) avoiding the drama and flamming for posting. There is also tons of good stuff regarding store bought soil that was hidden/deleted because someone turned some drama. I promise you we have been using potting soil for years and there are several conversations of it even if the searchable word "Natures Care Organic Miracle Gro" is not discussed. It does appear that you have the opportunity to have a  tek with a corporate brand name. Maybe its just me, But the same Idea of something so simple to buy premixed from the local home improvement store instead of the cooking poo or ordering expensive pre-pasteurized stuff online, Is a gold mine even for advanced cultivators. I could totally see something such as "Easy Peazy Organic Potting Tek" being marked as archive material.

• Deleena24, Microbe, OldBear and 2 others like this

#53 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:40 AM

Remember the days that coir was to only be used as a casing? Coir alone could not support a grow? Gosh, it's nice to see that we have evolved so much. By all means, please post your results. I do think that era of shame we missed some good information due to the folks (including myself) avoiding the drama and flamming for posting. There is also tons of good stuff regarding store bought soil that was hidden/deleted because someone turned some drama. I promise you we have been using potting soil for years and there are several conversations of it even if the searchable word "Natures Care Organic Miracle Gro" is not discussed. It does appear that you have the opportunity to have a tek with a corporate brand name. Maybe its just me, But the same Idea of something so simple to buy premixed from the local home improvement store instead of the cooking poo or ordering expensive pre-pasteurized stuff online, Is a gold mine even for advanced cultivators. I could totally see something such as "Easy Peazy Organic Potting Tek" being marked as archive material.

I remember those days well, now coir is used for everything! Thank you for supporting the whole idea I was trying to get across. It makes me happy, to say the least.

My flowhood ordeal has been investigated by the mail system, and another one is being delivered. I was hoping to have it days ago so I can get these P. Semperviva, P. Zapotecorum, Pan Australia and some really cool cube tissue samples to agar.

#54 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:38 AM

I have used the organic MG for plants, it's pretty good, not quite as good as some stuff at the hydro shops like fox farm, but it's much better than regular MG soil(again, for plants). I think mush grows don't require as much in a substrate as plants, like drainage. Maybe that OMG will turn out to be a standard eventually lol. I need to start expanding to new subs/casins etc.

#55 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:15 AM

My experience with the Quality of Fox Farm products has been primarily in the horticulture realm... I threw "in general" into my previous post for that reason... With easy access to hpoo and straw, I have done little experimentation with alternative substrates. I have, however, substituted my straw for coir. The coir seems to limit the potential for contamination.

When the weather breaks, I will go harvest some "pond muck" and see how that goes!

• OldBear and Billcoz like this

#56 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:33 PM

Feel free to use the thread to discuss other quality soils and alternative subs, I don't mind.

They will serve to educate the newer grower reading this, that there are many substrates and soils that will work. Maybe it will save them some stressing out by letting them know just because you didnt use "brand x" doesnt mean you won't be succesful.

We can also flat out tell people which brands to stay away from, like the normal MG.

Jammer, that pond muck sounds like a good idea. I know Hippie3 used pond water in his supercakes. I'd bet the soil under one is full of nutrients. Definitely try it, brother.
  • Billcoz and DanceOfBliss like this

#57 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:07 AM

Stay the fuck away from the Scotts even cheaper potting soil(cheaper than mg). I used it for a plant and the ph gets really high, it gets white crusty residue on top(even after flushing with RO water), and KILLED my plant. It's mostly made of pine dust I think, and gets really clumpy, and heavy when wet. I has very little perlite added, and has plant food, but it just sucks. 

• Deleena24 and coorsmikey like this

#58 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

Things started popping off again about 2 or 3 days ago, I wanted to wait to update until they were noticable on camera.

Looks like I am in for another good flush...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190119_124829.jpg
  • 20190119_124823.jpg
  • 20190119_125620.jpg

• Microbe and Billcoz like this

#59 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

Probably going to harvest tonight...

Flush 2 deemed successful by the honorable Judge D24...lol

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190121_130558.jpg
  • 20190121_130605.jpg
  • 20190121_130629.jpg

• Microbe and raymycoto like this

#60 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

Oh yeah, here is the result of that garbage sub jar. I forgot to hydrate it, so it grew on the bottom, but I found a pic of the 1st time I tried this, too.

Notice how little sub there actually is. They flush a couple times, too.

Lmao. The stupid stuff I contribute.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190121_145515.jpg
  • 20190121_145519.jpg
  • 20190121_145625.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!