3 replies to this topic

#1 Nurko65

Nurko65

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:47 PM

I have been successful a couple of times making my own Liquid Cultures. I use one (1) teaspoon of light malt extract per 100 mLs of (tap) water and PC for 15 minutes at 15 psi. The last time I wanted to be extra safe and PC'd for 25 - 30 minutes. The solution came out light brown and was obviously carmalized. I went ahead and inoculated 4 jars of the solution with purchased LC and a spore syringe. I definitely grew something in all the jars and thought I was home free until I tested the solution on some sterilized BS. None of the substrate jars grew any nice white mycelium! (If anything, I am growing some grey looking material.) The guide I was using said "abnormal growth of the culture" results if the solution was carmalized. Can anyone explain this to me? I am redoing this exercise but I thought others might be interested in what "abnormal growth" is. 

#2 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:54 AM

Stamets says in 'The Mushroom Cultivator'

Do not let the temperature of the cooker exceed 250 °F. or else the sugar in the media will caramelize. Media with caramelized sugar inhibits mycelial growth and promotes genetic mutations.

page 21.

The more you caramelize the malt, the less carbohydrates are available for the mushrooms nutrition. And it also seems some of the aromatic compounds formed are more beneficial for other molds ect, and inhibitory and even somewhat toxic to our selected fungus.

On another note, it is a LOT less toxic than some of the compounds used to purposefully induce genetic mutations in the lab.

Edited by PistolPete13, 29 December 2018 - 01:55 AM.

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:06 PM

Are you going from LC straight to a bulk substrate? I'm not sure what you mean by BS, Bulk Substrate or literally Bull Shit? Either way that is not an effective way to cultivate. I've seen it work a few times but more often than not it does not work. You will have much more success if you go from LC to Spawn then to BS. With the info provided that sounds to be the issue rather than some caramelization. I use carmelized LC all the time with great results. Non carmelized is obviously better. I live in high altitude so it is difficult for me to keep my PC right 250f so I often end up burning my LC's, but I just use them anyway.

#4 Nurko65

Nurko65

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

So sorry for the misunderstanding; by BS, I meant bird seed. I am somewhat of a newby and thought that was an acceptable acronym. As you suggest I was going to use the LC to inoculate the bird seed.
It is interesting that you have success with carmalized LC soiution. In my case with four of four failures, I've got to conclude the solution was the culprit and I raised mutants as stated above.
Thanks for the responses.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!