• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:22 AM

Brand new newbie (both to site and growing) checking in. Now that I've had a couple days to clean up the brain splatter from all the info overload on here, figured I'd make a post.

Been interesting and fun so far! Here's what I'm working with:

- Midwest Grow Kit
- 18 half pints
- B+ and Z strains from Mushrooms

Injected half the jars with B+, half with Z, over the open oven. The B+ colonized quite well, taking about 6 weeks. Z was a little sluggish, didn't fully colonize most of the jars, but not disappointing either. They took a few extra days. Haven't lost any cakes yet (although one got too dry and cracked in half upon birth).

Soaked for roughly 20 hours, coated with a layer of verm, and started the B+ one day, Z the next. Having a little bit of trouble keeping consistent temps, my mild OCD doesn't help either but humidity is holding quite well, lots of condensation. Have a new bluetooth therm/hydrometer coming in today, actually!

Several of the B+ have a really white (almost foam looking) layer going over the past couple days and first couple sprouts showed up yesterday. Will keep a close eye on them, as it seems a bit early, but fingers crossed! I'll post a couple more pics tonight.

415a23f9dcc13286c9062cfc7f884808.jpg3fb9ecdcafd76f5a2c6a895034459b82.jpg346c2d78c082e633bba1bd50339897ea.jpg
  • coorsmikey likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,629 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:02 PM

Welcome!

Hey, I'm curious and have a question for a newbie. I remember when the tek for inoculating in front of the oven was mainstream, I also remember when it was debunked. I know that the old information is still in the vaults too. My question is. How's does a newbie stumble across that info and decide to do it? Maybe I'm way off, but it would seem that the more updated information would be easier to find while researching. I am mostly curious if Mycotopia is still the source for encouraging new folks to things so outdated and what I can do to change it? Perhaps it is an option that a newbie chooses because of that what's available and on hand while one is still accumulating supplies?

• Mushinist likes this

#3 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:25 PM

Welcome!
Hey, I'm curious and have a question for a newbie. I remember when the tek for inoculating in front of the oven was mainstream, I also remember when it was debunked. I know that the old information is still in the vaults too. My question is. How's does a newbie stumble across that info and decide to do it? Maybe I'm way off, but it would seem that the more updated information would be easier to find while researching. I am mostly curious if Mycotopia is still the source for encouraging new folks to things so outdated and what I can do to change it? Perhaps it is an option that a newbie chooses because of that what's available and on hand while one is still accumulating supplies?

Hey man, thanks for the greetings! I understand what you're getting at. The easy answer is the timing and sequence of events that led to my grow. I decided to take a swing at it before I found the forums. I saw an article or two when doing some of the research for kits and spores, but wasn't sure how serious I would pursue this... "hobby" hahaha. The the guide with the kit includes one specific for their kit, and one for mushroom growing. The guide and their instructional videos both suggest the oven method as an option to inoculate the jars. It seemed the easiest method.

Basically, it was an option given to me, and the one I picked. I haven't done any research into inoculation since joining. To a newbie, it seems to have worked well, but that also could be sheer luck. Have had zero contamination issues thus far, although I'll look into some different tek this evening.

Initial feedback for the website, from a brand new guy, is learning the lingo. There's a lot of shorthand and abbreviations that I'm still a bit stumped on. I've looked at a few of the beginners info and still am at a bit of a loss, but I am continuing to read.

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,629 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Here is a shortcut to help ya along your way through all this. https://mycotopia.ne...s-and-acronyms/

#5 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Here is a shortcut to help ya along your way through all this. https://mycotopia.ne...s-and-acronyms/

Thanks, Mikey! I hadn't found that one yet, very good.

#6 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:02 AM

This is officially day 6, into day 7 tonight. Here are the early birds B+ strain seems a bit eager to get going...52838f19af0ad19a9dec71bdbe3a0a09.jpg8496db9f0def2cbadc9015efe01c222b.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!