10 replies to this topic

#1 zoneeee

zoneeee

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:01 AM

Hi all, 

I've began my first grow, well, not my first. I've tried incubating a few times with jars that have contaminated.

I have a few questions that I'm going to list below that I would like to have cleared up, if anyone could answer.

1. Can too low of temperature cause incubating jars to contaminate?

2. During the inoculation process, if I didn't flame sterilize between every jar, but wiped with a soaked alcohol towel, am I prone to contamination? 

3. At 76.6 temperature in incubating chamber, when can I expect mycelial growth?

4. Is it possible to inject too much spore solution into a jar?

5. If I didn't wear a medical mask while inoculating, can I expect contamination?

6. I bought presterilized jars, and when I removed the foil there was vermiculite on top of the jar, is this bad?

7. I Inoculated jars through the oven method at a different house than where I reside, I was careful as possible with the jars when putting them in my car and getting them out, how fragile is the vermiculite layer, and is it possible that I might have screwed it up? 

I know these are all very noob questions, I'm just very insecure about this whole process, and really want things to work out. If anyone could answer any of these for me, it would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time. 

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:54 AM

I'm going to suspect the "oven tek" for inoculation as being a very likely culprit. This form of inoculation (unfortunately) is just an urban myth which gets a lot of mileage. 

You'll want a Still Air Glovebox for future aseptic work. They're very inexpensive to build and far more effective than the oven idea - and surprisingly, not so different in concept. 

In all, it looks like you have a good overall grasp on the technique. 

Give it another shot and see what happens. 

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:01 AM

Hi all, 

I've began my first grow, well, not my first. I've tried incubating a few times with jars that have contaminated.

I have a few questions that I'm going to list below that I would like to have cleared up, if anyone could answer.

1. Can too low of temperature cause incubating jars to contaminate? Not directly, lower temperatures inhibit contaminates to some extent, but slower mycelium growth as a result of lower temperatures can sometimes give contaminates a chance to colonize.

2. During the inoculation process, if I didn't flame sterilize between every jar, but wiped with a soaked alcohol towel, am I prone to contamination? Flaming between every jar will give you a better chance of avoiding contamination. Personally, I almost never flame between every jar and I have pretty good success with avoiding contams.

3. At 76.6 temperature in incubating chamber, when can I expect mycelial growth? It varies. There are a lot of factors that play a role in when spores will germinate and mycelium will grow. 76.6 degrees is a good temperature for mycelium growth.

4. Is it possible to inject too much spore solution into a jar? Not really, unless you are going to pump multiple syringes worth in there... The general rule of thumb is about 2 ccs... You can use more or less...

5. If I didn't wear a medical mask while inoculating, can I expect contamination? Your contamination risk is certainly increased to some degree but I never really use a mask.

6. I bought presterilized jars, and when I removed the foil there was vermiculite on top of the jar, is this bad? I don't see why it would be.

7. I Inoculated jars through the oven method at a different house than where I reside, I was careful as possible with the jars when putting them in my car and getting them out, how fragile is the vermiculite layer, and is it possible that I might have screwed it up? You don't want to do a lot of banging them around and shaking... Taking them to your car should have been fine... If you ordered these things and had them sent to you, they were banged around a lot more by the mail service than by you...

I know these are all very noob questions, I'm just very insecure about this whole process, and really want things to work out. If anyone could answer any of these for me, it would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time. 

I hope some of those answers help!! Good luck!!

• Myc and Baphom3t like this

#4 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

I'm going to suspect the "oven tek" for inoculation as being a very likely culprit. This form of inoculation (unfortunately) is just an urban myth which gets a lot of mileage.

You'll want a Still Air Glovebox for future aseptic work. They're very inexpensive to build and far more effective than the oven idea - and surprisingly, not so different in concept.

In all, it looks like you have a good overall grasp on the technique.
Give it another shot and see what happens.

I too, am a noob that used the oven tek, but I've seen zero contamination with my first grow. Could also be contaminated spores, yes? All 18 of my jars are doing phenomenal. I did flame and wipe with alcohol between each jar, but still, if all of the OPs jars are contaminated, I would think it would be contaminated spores or maybe need.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

Not turning this into a bashing of the oven tek but........

Just because you used that method and did not get contaminants is not proof of sound method. 

A member here tested the oven tek up against a Still Air Glovebox and plain open-air inoculation. The open-air inoculation experiments came out clean just as often as the oven tek experiments. In other words, the methods are equal in their efficacy. 

Out of the listed procedure - I saw the oven tek as the most obvious weak link. That is not necessarily a guarantee that I'm correct. Just a best guess based upon the evidence presented. 

• Juthro likes this

#6 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:01 PM

Howdy and welcome

not basing about on the oven either however

here is some additional information on the oven tek 

https://mycotopia.ne...html?1005871585

if you see post 1 by Nan and post 4 by Hippie3 it will show where it could go wrong when using that oven tek

Edited by PsyBearknot, 02 January 2019 - 02:03 PM.

• Myc likes this

#7 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

I'm definitely not trying to say oven tek is a good method lol. Could've been blind luck when I used it. Just seems strange that every jar is contaminated, yeah? Figure you would get lucky with a couple even using a faulty inoc tek.
  • Myc likes this

#8 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:52 PM

Howdy and welcome

if you see post 1 by Nan and post 4 by Hippie3 it will show where it could go wrong when using that oven tek

Also, the link isn't working for me. Is it a VIP link? Tried Tapatalk and a browser.

#9 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Howdy and welcome

Also, the link isn't working for me. Is it a VIP link? Tried Tapatalk and a browser.

I double-checked the link and it's valid. ;) 

Not sure why you are having trouble. 

#10 zoneeee

zoneeee

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

I'm definitely not trying to say oven tek is a good method lol. Could've been blind luck when I used it. Just seems strange that every jar is contaminated, yeah? Figure you would get lucky with a couple even using a faulty inoc tek.

when all my jars contaminated on a prior grow, I didn't use the oven method. I open air inoculated and moved the jars around a ton. Plus I had them in a room that was like 60 degree f. Now, on this next try for my first grow, I used the oven to inoculate, flamed sterilized needles and wiped with alcohol wipes. Just hoping this one goes right. 

#11 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:05 PM

Whether open air, SAB or cooking in front of an oven. If all your jars are contaminating. It's either improper sterilization of the contents or contaminated spores. This is, of course, assuming the OP is using a standard PF lid with 4 holes or a proper SHIP and filtered lid. Temperature doesn't introduce undesirable organisms. If the contamination is there, no matter the temp it can't grow there. High temps, however, can create a more hospitable environment for hidden contamination. Leave a control untouched or not inoculated next time. If that jar stay clean and the rest contaminate you will know where the problem is. If some of the jars contaminate and some are great then it's operator error.

Edited by coorsmikey, 02 January 2019 - 10:15 PM.

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!