So I am just finishing up my substrate. I got the whole pot on the stove now maintaining pasturization temps.
So far it's been a pretty painless process adding this pressed dehydrated horse manaure. I thought I was going to pre moisturize to a paste and add it after the moisturization to the substrate but instead I put it in the pot of boiling water seconds before I put the rest of my substrate ingredients in the pot
Basically what it looked like was brown shit water then once I put the Coco Coir, Vermiculite, and gypsum in it turned into fluffy field capacity substrate. The way I did it basically fortified all the moisture content in the substrate with nutrient rich horse shit water.
Im surprised how smooth it went and can definitely recommend this (so far) as a viable option for people that don't want to mess with leeching / composting fresh hpoo. At .99 cents per pound the price is right in my opinion. I definitely would not use this as a primary ingredient, I don't think it would work out that good.
We will see if my Orissa mycellium enjoy it as much as I have lol.
I followed Damons5050 Tek slightly modified to account for the Hpoo.
It looked something like this:
-Boiled 6 quarts Distilled Water
-Add 1.5lbs of pressed Dehydrated Hpoo
-Add desired amount of gyspum (optional)
-Immediately after add the the rest of the ingredients
-Add standard block of Coco Coir
-Add 2 quarts Vermiculite
-If too wet add a dash more Hpoo and Verm
-If to dry boil another quart or two of water
I'm actually testing a method of pasturization that doesn't require any bags, cookers ovens, etc. I litterally have all the ingredients above in my pressure cooker with the lid loosely on. The PC is directly on an electric coil stove. I have a digital thermometer and keep mixing it up never letting the bottom layer get higher then 185F and never lower then 150°F . It's actually working really good and takes a step out of the whole process. Mixing every 5-7 minutes seems to work out great. The most important thing is honing in on the temp controls & not letting the bottom get too hot and making sure you thoroughly mix the the hotter bottom layers to the top. Since you just added moisture content there is a steam element to the substrate that percolates it's way to the top, keeping a easy to manage temp range.
Soo far so good. I hope the myc likes it.
Edited by MysticalMyco, 08 January 2019 - 03:57 AM.