• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:57 PM

So I want to start dabbling into more Hpoo grows with my upcoming grows. Has anyone ever used Dehydrated Horse Manure? It kind of looks like pellets. It's not what most of you would probably think it is when someone says dehydrated horse manure.

I think my Coir/verm/gypsum recipe could benefit from something like this and I'm always down to try something once. The vendor recommends it at 10% of the substrate mixture. I don't think it would hurt.

Has anyone used this product or something similar? Thoughts, concerns, comments? It is certainly cheap enough.

https://mycosupply.c...d-horse-manure/

Attached Thumbnails

• dehydrated_manure_RS.jpg

Edited by MysticalMyco, 02 January 2019 - 06:00 PM.

#2 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

I think it would prob work well.

Have you tried adding a small amount of worm castings in your mix?

Its widely available and very cheap, which is nice if you don't want to order online.

#3 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

Yea, so far with various grows I've used Hpoo/Verm/coir/gypsum - Coir/Verm/Castings/Gypsum - Coir/Verm/Gypsum. I like the results of Hpoo and I like the ease of manure-free. If I can find a happy medium with something like dehydrated horse poo pellets in my mix that would be a godsend. I'll probably pull the trigger and play around with it.
  • Deleena24 likes this

#4 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 577 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Don't forget deleena's miracle grow soil substrate. Great discovery.
I was at wally world and got a whole bag for a few bucks.
I opened it and pc'd a sample, threw in some grain. Hope to have at results as you did.
Interesting, it was at perfect, dryish field capacity right out of the bag.
Wasn't so daring as you to use it right out of the bag sans PC. Maybe next time.
Calling it wallysub.

Edited by raymycoto, 03 January 2019 - 03:18 PM.

#5 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

Don't forget deleena's miracle grow soil substrate. Great discovery.
I was at wally world and got a whole bag for a few bucks.
I opened it and pc'd a sample, threw in some grain. Hope to have at results as you did.
Interesting, it was at perfect, dryish field capacity right out of the bag.
Wasn't so daring as you to use it right out of the bag sans PC. Maybe next time.
Calling it wallysub.

That tray/tub started to knot like crazy today. Tomorrow I expect dozens if not hundred of pins, and they look evenly distributed.

It looks beautiful, and is honestly on of the best looking and most aggressively colonized sub I have ever used...

Now all I have to do is see how well it fruits. I know it will bc of the tiny PEU invitro grow, but we shall soon see how well and if it is worth recommending for grows.

Edit: Only the small PEU invitro grow was straight from the bag, no steririlization or pastuerization, just hydration lol.

The small 6qt dubtub grow I have going was microwaved, after being hydrated, for 9 minutes and allowed to cool overnight.

Edited by Deleena24, 03 January 2019 - 03:40 PM.

• raymycoto likes this

#6 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

I pulled the trigger on these dehydrated horse poo pellets. I'll have a 20lb box of shit in route to my lovely abode. I want the nutrients from it as an additive to my substrate as a minority ingredient.

I figure my recipe will go something like this.

50% Coco Coir
30% Vermiculite

Bring to just under field capacity set aside

Rehydrate the horse manure to a type of shit paste. Which will most likely be a tad bit over field capacity.

Mix my
50% Coco Coir
30% Vermiculite
20% Hydrated Horse Poo Pellet
Dash of trusty gypsum

Put it all in an oven bag with some micro pore tape at the top. Tie it off and dunk into boiling water on my pressure cooker. Then regulate temperature with my thermometer to pasturize.

I might tinker with the recipe a little and drop the Hpoo pellets to 10-15%

I'm excited I'll let you folks know how it goes.

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,118 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

Dehydrated horse manure works just fine... I would increase the percentage of hpoo in your mix... 

If they don't crumble well as-is (my hpoo when dehydrated crumbles very easily) I would hydrate them so I can spread it evenly through the substrate... My hpoo substrates are closer to 1-1-1 Coir-hpoo-verm... Add gypsum if wanted...

#8 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:46 PM

This is a little different then typical dehydrated Hpoo. It's suppose to be pelletized like rabbit food. And turns real pasty when moist. Mycosupply is claiming 1lbs is equivalent to 8-10lbs worth of Hpoo nuitrients.

It could just me a marketing crock of shit (litterally). But I've never been more excited to get a box of shit in the mail. My fiance thinks I'm nuts but she loved my creations come music festival season.

#9 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 577 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:21 PM

It will make for less mess and hassle if you could pulverize or blenderize your hpoo before hydration and mixing it with your other ingredients. Make hydration to field capacity of your final mix the last step.

You might try using a food processor (don't tell your fiance). Works great for homogenizing dry poo to a fluffy powder. While you are at it, homogenize the whole bag and you won't have to violate the food processor again. BTW, at this stage, the poo is just nutrient laden compost and has no pathogens and does not smell. A good rinse or trip through the washer will restore your kitchen hardware to food quality once again.

Edited by raymycoto, 04 January 2019 - 07:23 PM.

#10 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:15 PM

Got my care package from Myco Supply today. Never been so happy to receive a box of shit and plastic bags in the mail lol. Time to make some proper Hpoo substrate to do some non-scientific comparissions for my Orissa - Hpoo vs Manure Free. =)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190107_130829.jpg

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,118 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:26 PM

Got my care package from Myco Supply today. Never been so happy to receive a box of shit and plastic bags in the mail lol. Time to make some proper Hpoo substrate to do some non-scientific comparissions for my Orissa - Hpoo vs Manure Free. =)

It looks from comparison with the photos on their site and what you got in the box that what you have there is the cow manure... It will work well for you also...

The reason it has more nutrients per lb is because it is void of any moisture where as freshly collected manure is not... Other than that, I don't see why it would be any different...

Edited by PJammer24, 07 January 2019 - 01:29 PM.

#12 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:26 PM

Looks like that's not pre pastuerized or sterilized. You can make that crap last a long time by using a coir and verm with it.

I love getting shit in the mail, too.

#13 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

I'll message them and ask. I ordered Dehydrated Horse Manure. It's triple bagged so it looks darker then it does when opened. They are considered super reputable so I'm assuming it's right. The way it's prepped it litterally looks and feels like brown coffee. It's not smelly at all which is nice. No amonia odor or barn odors.

It's not pre pasturized. It's pressed / Dehydrated manure. I was reading some of the owners posts on another forum and she was like "According to our commercial Mushroom farmers in Pennsylvania they tested it to be used in a substrate at 10% and the way they pressed and dehydrated it 1lb equals 10lbs in nutrients."

So we'll see what happens. It's not suppose to be a primary ingredient rather a minority ingredient. I got a good gauge on what my Coir/Verm/Gypsum yield so it surely shouldn't hurt anything.

I'm kind of getting addicted to this hobby.

Edited by MysticalMyco, 07 January 2019 - 03:56 PM.

#14 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

I'm getting addicted too, hahaha.

Yeah you dont need very much pop for it to be beneficial

#15 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

I'm like a vampire I do my best work at night. On tonights schedule I have to create my poo substrate. I have a fully cononized Myco bag on my Orissa wanting to meet the poop gods tonight. I also need innoculate my 7lb bag with either A+Albino or Creepers.

#16 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:51 AM

So I am just finishing up my substrate. I got the whole pot on the stove now maintaining pasturization temps.

So far it's been a pretty painless process adding this pressed dehydrated horse manaure. I thought I was going to pre moisturize to a paste and add it after the moisturization to the substrate but instead I put it in the pot of boiling water seconds before I put the rest of my substrate ingredients in the pot

Basically what it looked like was brown shit water then once I put the Coco Coir, Vermiculite, and gypsum in it turned into fluffy field capacity substrate. The way I did it basically fortified all the moisture content in the substrate with nutrient rich horse shit water.

Im surprised how smooth it went and can definitely recommend this (so far) as a viable option for people that don't want to mess with leeching / composting fresh hpoo. At .99 cents per pound the price is right in my opinion. I definitely would not use this as a primary ingredient, I don't think it would work out that good.

We will see if my Orissa mycellium enjoy it as much as I have lol.

I followed Damons5050 Tek slightly modified to account for the Hpoo.

It looked something like this:

-Boiled 6 quarts Distilled Water
-Add 1.5lbs of pressed Dehydrated Hpoo
-Add desired amount of gyspum (optional)
-Immediately after add the the rest of the ingredients
-Add standard block of Coco Coir
-Add 2 quarts Vermiculite
-Mix thoroughly
-If too wet add a dash more Hpoo and Verm
-If to dry boil another quart or two of water
-Pasturize

I'm actually testing a method of pasturization that doesn't require any bags, cookers ovens, etc. I litterally have all the ingredients above in my pressure cooker with the lid loosely on. The PC is directly on an electric coil stove. I have a digital thermometer and keep mixing it up never letting the bottom layer get higher then 185F and never lower then 150°F . It's actually working really good and takes a step out of the whole process. Mixing every 5-7 minutes seems to work out great. The most important thing is honing in on the temp controls & not letting the bottom get too hot and making sure you thoroughly mix the the hotter bottom layers to the top. Since you just added moisture content there is a steam element to the substrate that percolates it's way to the top, keeping a easy to manage temp range.

Soo far so good. I hope the myc likes it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190108_024444.jpg
  • IMG_20190108_035533.jpg

Edited by MysticalMyco, 08 January 2019 - 03:57 AM.

• Deleena24 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!