• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kirazmin

kirazmin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:47 AM

I’m afraid that it’s the former but when I swipe across the cake with a q tip it comes off clean, so is it bruising?? Why are the mushrooms turning dark then? What can I do to fix it?? I need to leave town for a few days and I’ll have to leave these for my husband to tend to, so I really need to figure this out before leaving!! Thank you so much in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• A93D824C-A4CA-44A8-8856-484BD0E57358.jpeg
  • 01B294CD-4B3F-47AB-8F8A-E313CB44F6B5.jpeg
  • CF2CED9D-07FD-4FC9-8D8A-69047765B08E.jpeg

#2 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 635 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:01 AM

I don't wanna say for surebecause Iv'e never had anything but green mold, but that looks more like bruising to me(i'll feel stupid if the next guy's like "obvious mold"lol). Is the air really dry?

It looks like some pins are aborting too, are you fanning really hard, or directly on them using a stream of water, or a fine mist?

The one on the right in the pic on the right has a bit of yellow pissy metabolites going on, usually from stress from bacteria or something.

Please don't take that as statement of facts, wait till someone can say for sure.

#3 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:28 AM

Obviously mold.... LoL, just kidding. That looks like bruising to me as well. I got one shroom Patty that looks the exact same. Anything that is powdery like is usually some sort of mold.

Once I suspect a mold type contam the way I've been verifying is by using a dry Q-Tip and lightly dabing the area in question. If green, black, brown, grey or any other funky color transfers to the Q-Tip that's almost certainly mold or mold spores. The only exception to this is if your shoomies veils just opened. It that case you will have what ever color the spores are dumped all over your mycellium.
  • Sikfreud likes this

#4 Turdly81

Turdly81

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

This was mine a few weeks ago. It was agitated cause I was fanning and misting too much. I left the lid on it without opening for 2 days and it got better. 6c842e4de265b66c5e293a1e6dc0f3e7.jpg
  • Sikfreud likes this

#5 Turdly81

Turdly81

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:00 AM

Ive never had that yellow color before tho and I know nothing honestly.
  • Sikfreud likes this

#6 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 827 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

In the last pic, where the yellow is, was there standing water that dried up? That's the only suspect looking thing to me.

The rest is just really bad bruising IMO. Dunk those babies. Most of those pins are aborts now.

#7 kirazmin

kirazmin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:13 PM

That's really interesting because I've dunked every single one of them before placing them in there. :mellow: And there's a LOT of humidity in there. Could that be the issue?? Should I make a hasty new FC with perlite or vermiculite on the bottom to cut down on the humidity?  :tinfoil:  I'm so confused!

#8 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,627 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

Too much TLC! leave them be for a few days.

• Deleena24 and kirazmin like this

#9 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 635 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:27 AM

I shoulda asked before, but did you already harvest some from those? Because the spots where the stumps of picked fruits come off will bruise darker blue like that. Also spore messes look kinda like the pics. If not, then most likely your spraying or fanning too hard, or handling them too much.

Edited by Billcoz, 05 January 2019 - 04:28 AM.

#10 kirazmin

kirazmin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:32 PM

I shoulda asked before, but did you already harvest some from those? Because the spots where the stumps of picked fruits come off will bruise darker blue like that. Also spore messes look kinda like the pics. If not, then most likely your spraying or fanning too hard, or handling them too much.

Yes I already harvested from those a bit! I didn't need to spray at all since there's water underneath the cooling racks that the cakes are suspended on and no need to fan since I have the air pump going and the a bit of holes cut up on the sides. But I've moved the cakes to a less humid set up now and just let them be. We'll see how they do. Thank you everyone!!!

• Billcoz likes this

#11 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 827 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

How big is the air pump? A small one like 20 gallons only puts out 20 gallons of air per hour. That's maybe 1 exchange of fresh air for a tub that is probably around 20 gallons.

The recommended FAE rate for cubes during fruiting is at least 4x per hour. If you're not fanning at all that may be a factor in the stalled pins.

Since you're running a pump, there is positive pressure inside the tub, meaning the holes you cut aren't bringing fresh air in, they're only letting the air from the pump be pushed out, so they're not providing extra FAE.

Edited by Deleena24, 08 January 2019 - 12:42 PM.

#12 kirazmin

kirazmin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:53 AM

Ah wow, I had no idea! I screwed up this whole batch so I'll work through whatever I've collected and once I'm out of my current stock, I'll try again and take this advice into consideration. Thank you so much!

How big is the air pump? A small one like 20 gallons only puts out 20 gallons of air per hour. That's maybe 1 exchange of fresh air for a tub that is probably around 20 gallons.

The recommended FAE rate for cubes during fruiting is at least 4x per hour. If you're not fanning at all that may be a factor in the stalled pins.

Since you're running a pump, there is positive pressure inside the tub, meaning the holes you cut aren't bringing fresh air in, they're only letting the air from the pump be pushed out, so they're not providing extra FAE.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!