• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pschippie

Pschippie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:45 PM

So I inoculated 12 jars 6gt 6B+ 30days ago they are all at 100% but I’m going to wait another week before I birth so question is 2 of the jars have pinning ever we’re should I birth those2 now? Or wait to birth all at same time?

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,640 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

Still the wrong place :tongue:

#3 Pschippie

Pschippie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

Damn really lol
  • Alder Logs likes this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,765 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

Here We Grow -- Fungi: Magic Mushrooms

Looks all right to me.  :dry:

Edited by Alder Logs, 04 January 2019 - 08:34 PM.

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,640 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

Yes birth the two jar that are pinning. The other can wait or I bet they are close enough to birth together. I suspect that they will benefit from being together in the FC. Having more cakes in the FC actually provide a better climate for each other.

#6 Pschippie

Pschippie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

Ok I birth all of them since I have you guys here one more question my shotgun fc has holes drilled everywhere except the bottom should I drill holes in bottom? And I also bought a 3in desk fan I wanted to mount it on the side with a 3 inch hole threw both ends to get airflow do you think that is good idea? Or will the 3in holes let bacteria in?

#7 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:34 AM

The standard shotgun FC has holes in the bottom as well. They can be a bit smaller, to prevent the perlite from falling through. The ostensible reason for the holes is to allow air to come up from below, passing through the perlite and keeping the air in your chamber moist. I can't say whether that's what happens, but I do know the SGFC works remarkably well.

Once your fully colonized jars have been birthed, they are pretty resistant to bacteria, so there is no point in using filters of any kind on your fruiting chamber. I wouldn't bother with fans, either. There's lots of fresh air in this chamber, and if you feel it needs more, a few seconds of hand-fanning will do the trick.

#8 Pschippie

Pschippie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

Thank yo so much will do one more question I keep getting so many conflicting stuff online about rolling in vermiculite after the soak do u think it’s worth it? And also I saw something about putting hydrogen peroxide in layer of verm under the cake?

#9 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

Different people follow different protocols, and there's more than one way to fruit your mushrooms. I've been doing the "dunk and roll", with good results. Birth the jars, remove the dry verm layer from the cakes, soak the cakes overnight in a pot of clean water, roll them in dry verm, and put them in the FC.  Wait half an hour or so, then start misting. Some people have a horror of misting the cakes directly, but I have no problem with it. I pretend I'm a light early morning rain in a central American cow field, lol.

I don't see any need for hydrogen peroxide in the FC, but it probably does no harm.

#10 Xnerd

Xnerd

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:55 PM

I too have been for some reason having pinning start just as the jars (B+) are reaching complete colonization. I usually like to let them consolidate or whatever you want to call it for three or four days before putting them to substrate . Doing this seems to get a much heavier Health in your layer of mycelium going. I'm sure it'll all be fine either way.

The funny thing about rolling in vermiculite I'm not convinced even a very good idea unless your environment tries out door blocks or in this case cakes easily. I'm always experimenting and when I was doing cakes I would roll half of the cake so it was half covered in fresh vermiculite and the funny thing is is that get new growth out of the other half much sooner! So I say why bother. I'm the kind of person that doesn't worry too much about how many damn mushrooms grow or how many flushes I get. There's always going to be another run to do another substrate to inoculate another batch more fun LOL I don't sweat the small stuff when it comes to this
If you do you'll go crazy is there are so much small stuff

#11 Pschippie

Pschippie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

Ok one more question I promise lol so my fc chamber says it’s 99% humidity but the walls of the fc are not dripping water down them as I see in all pics online they only look like that wen I spray should I be consernd that my gauge is broken?

#12 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

Can your hygrometer be calibrated? The useful ones can be adjusted...some can't. The latter are "broken" by definition. :wink:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!