• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:59 AM

Very new here, and I very much like your site. I am on the 2nd flush of my first grow. Followed a WBS flour Tek I found on Shroomology, with the Costa Rica strain. I would say it was a moderate success, at least with everything but the fruiting chamber. I say that because there are so many different methods and opinions out there, and with my tendency to overdo and over think, I probably gave them too much TLC, or not enough.. I digress.. anyway my question is 2 part. Whats the consensus on how well you have to master PF Tek before it's a good idea to George Jefferson it on up. And secondly, which style is that next step in evolutionary chain?

#2 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 465 posts

Donator

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

If you can do PF successfully I see no reason not to attempt something bigger. 6qt dubtubs are about as easy as PF.

#3 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

The next step might depend on what your goals are. Do you just want to increase yields, or is this more about acquiring new skills? If the latter, maybe consider getting good at using agar. It opens some new doors..cloning, isolating cultures from spore prints, starting grain jars, etc.

• peacefrog likes this

#4 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:48 PM

You could always try Filtered Mycology Bags. It's a good way to increase yields, prevent contaminations, learn bulk substrate techniques, and to understand how mushrooms behave in optimum conditions.

You could do a single bag or a dual bag grow. The first time I grew was in a myco bag. My technique was dual bag. I had one smaller bag with sterilized grain, which got inoculated with spores. The other bag had pasturized substrate. I went with a 1lb spawn to 2.5 lbs of substrate. I had two bags going at once so it worked out to 2 pounds grain to 5 pounds substrate.

With the grow above and two bags running I yielded just over a quarter pound of dried mushrooms after 5 flushes. My first flush was smaller mushrooms. My 2nd and 3rd flush was monster mushrooms. Then the 4th and 5th we're just a few huge mushrooms. One weighed 85g +/- wet.

With bag growing you really learn a lot. What I did was research what the grow kits had in them and mimicked them myself. I pasturized and sterilized myself and tried to duplicate there recipes.

Here are the instructions I followed.

https://www.shroomsu...it-instructions

This site also sells all the stuff you could possibly need to start minus the spores. I would recommend checking out Mycotopia's spore auctions there have them once or twice a month and you can get a ton of strains and support the site or check out the spore thread at the top of this sub forum for non-sponsored but recommended vendors.

Good Vibes your way,
MM
  • 417outsiders likes this

#5 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

I agree. Look at some of my threads with invitro hpoo in the title. The results speak for themselves, and it is so damn easy I dont know why more people don't do bag grows...

No fanning no misting...just innoculate spawn, let it colonize, mix said spawn into a filter bag with some sterilized substrate, and wait.

Just make sure the bag you fruit with has a .05micron filter, not the .02. You won't get enough FAE to get nice, fully mature mushrooms or even pinsets unless you fan daily.

Edited by Deleena24, 05 January 2019 - 06:42 PM.

#6 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:18 PM

Thank u all very much, I do believe I will go with the dual bag method you are describing. I wasn't sure how to get back to my post or I would have thanked u sooner. Social media is still a mystery to me, I don't even use fb much. The agar really interests me too, what little I've read about it, but for right now, yes, more yield is my goal. I have 4 different strains coming in a couple days and wanna be ready.

#7 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

I agree. Look at some of my threads with invitro hpoo in the title. The results speak for themselves, and it is so damn easy I dont know why more people don't do bag grows...

No fanning no misting...just innoculate spawn, let it colonize, mix said spawn into a filter bag with some sterilized substrate, and wait.

Just make sure the bag you fruit with has a .05micron filter, not the .02. You won't get enough FAE to get nice, fully mature mushrooms or even pinsets unless you fan daily.

Lol you just answered a question I just posted :p. Thanks
  • Deleena24 likes this

#8 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:56 AM

I think the bigger bags always have the .5 micron and the smaller ones usually have the .2 either way I haven't had a problem yet with FAE or gas exchange. I know the .2 ones get fragile after PC'ing I tore a filter one time because the sterilization process made it fragile.

I've always cut the bag off when they start to pin and put the in a sterilite container. I always get alot of side pins with those bags and by cutting the bag off you get 50% more surface area to grow on. (Top,4x sides).

#9 JACKOLANTERN

JACKOLANTERN

puking unicorn

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

Experiment and expand your skills, we learn by trial and error.

• peacefrog likes this

#10 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 814 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:39 AM

Mycotopia predates Facebook :-D
  • peacefrog likes this

#11 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:46 AM

Mycotopia predates Facebook :-D

Why the F word? ;)
  • coorsmikey likes this

#12 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:18 PM

Great advice all around.

Monotubs are super easy if you're looking to cook your own grains or go bulk, and (personally) I like peeking and fanning a couple / three times a day.  That said, any invitro tek is inherently more contam resistant if you can get it to work - it's largely strain dependent from my experience.

I transitioned to bulk monotubs using PF cakes as innoculant - that way you can use the experience you have with PF jars, then grate the fully colonized cakes to use as innoculant ... works great.

I use Black Kow (WM for a few bucks for a huge sack) and coir from amazucks that I buy in bulk blocks at a 50/50 ratio . . .

:)

soliver

• 417outsiders likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!