3 replies to this topic

#1 moshimoshi

moshimoshi

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

Hi guys,

Newbie here, I wish my first post weren't about me freaking out but I started growing Golden Teacher and everything seemed to be all right but I woke up this morning to one of my bags completely covered in this thin layer of dark stuff (see 1st two pics). So I get a cotton swab and gently braze it across one of the caps and come to find out it's a dark brownish powder. Is it contam? Or just spores? Are they still ok? From what I gather they matured for too long bc the caps unveiled themselves from the stems and look flat now. But the second bag looks about rdy to harvest and dry....(see 3rd and 4th pic)

Attached Thumbnails

• image1-2.jpeg
  • image2.jpeg
  • image3-2.jpeg
  • image4-2.jpeg

#2 moshimoshi

moshimoshi

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:44 PM

So after looking through the forums I'm pretty sure they're spores that have been released, and more of a dark violet color, not brown. I picked all the fruit bodies now. My follow-up question is can I leave the spores in the bag for the second flush? Some of it also got in my greenhouse (since I keep the bags open inside), so is it necessary to clean that up as well?

TIA

• Myc likes this

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

You're correct about the "powder" being spores. 

If they're in your greenhouse, you'll want to give it a wipe-down. 

There's not a bunch you can do about the spores in the bag. Some of them will wash away with a good dunking. 

• PJammer24 and moshimoshi like this

#4 Phish

Phish

PhishPhan

• Gold VIP
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:11 PM

Yup, sporulation has occurred . I try to harvest my fruits as the veil begins to break. Once they splooge like that it can wreak havoc with my next flush if I don’t rinse it off in the post-flush soak.
  • Mushinist likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!