• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:02 AM

Wheat Berries Anyone? LoL time to let the steam cool. It passed the tissue test with no sticky starchiness. Nice creamy clearish inside soft shell.... Soo far Soo good.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190107_000004.jpg

Edited by MysticalMyco, 07 January 2019 - 12:15 AM.

• raymycoto likes this

#22 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,487 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:50 AM

The only grain I pre soak is popcorn. Its the only one I've seen a benefit with.

Other grains I rinse for initial cleaning of dirt, etc. Then add to boiling water and stir a few times till its cool enough to handle and pour off. That's to help remove external starches.

Then back to boiling water for 10 minutes, reduce and simmer just till I can cut a grain in half with a fingernail. Dry well, pack and pc. I always do 2 hours.

When I'm feeling lazy with oats, I simmer 30 minutes or so, then let drain and dry for another 30 minutes or so, pack and pc. This will be a little wet when packed, but its also a little underhydrated, the pc time and shake afterwards will balance it.

Straight no prep can work, I just don't care for it. Maybe I just need my little prep ritual to feel good about it.

Just another note, the goal is to end up with clean grain properly hydrated. Doesn't particularly matter how you get there. If you've heard or read that a soak does anything else, well those are just random wrong things you hear on the internet.
  • raymycoto likes this

#23 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:51 AM

What I mentioned above worked fine. I feel confident that there shouldn't be any issues.

I just finished PC'ing all that grain. Took forever to get my PC to temp because I over loaded it & my propane stove is outdoors and it's like 29°F and windy.

But other then that I'm extremely happy with the outcome. I'll be doing 7 quart jars and a 6.5 pound myco bag so I'll be able to get a good feel if there will be any contam issues on anything down the line but I feel like it will be fine.

Also there is no more nasty warm yeasty nattie light beer smell on the grain with this prep so I solved the main reason I wanted to change me Tek.

Later today these babies are getting innoculated w/ A+ Albino (Bag) & B+ (Jars). I also have to work on some substrate with my Dehydrated manure pellets so today will be Myco Mania Monday. LoL

#24 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:40 AM

I used to grow with the old Oss & Oeric method. They recommend mixing 160 ml of rye and 130 ml of water in each jar, with an optional dash of calcium carbonate. The jars are put straight in the pressure cooker for one hour, and that's it.

It's been a while since I did it this way, but as I recall contamination rates were not very high. However, the spawn was more difficult to shake than the jars I now prepare with a 24 hr presoak, ten minute boil & 90 minutes in the PC. 

I know it has nothing to do with the thread, but since you mentioned the book "magic Mushroom Grower's Guide"  I'll ask, did you know that Oss & Oeric are Terrence and Dennis McKenna? Check it out-

The Magic Mushroom Grower’s Guide

Both Terence and Dennis took an early interest in psychedelic plants, heading out on adventures around the world in the 1970s to seek out the entheogenic rituals of indigenous cultures. On a trip to La Chorrera, Colombia, and other parts of South America, they were some of the earliest westerners to encounter and publicly share their experiences with DMT-containing plants like ayahuasca.

They were also fascinated and deeply moved by the effects of psilocybin mushrooms (which were available in abundance in the cow fields of Colombia), and in 1976 they published Psilocybin: The Magic Mushroom Grower’s Guide under the pseudonyms OT Oss and ON Oeric. This book was significant to the dissemination of psychedelic information and experimentation, as together they had refined a method for reliably growing psychedelic mushrooms at home with commonly available supplies. For the first time, people who were interested in a psychedelic experience could now produce their own psychedelic substances without needing to be an expert or chemist with laboratory equipment. After this important book, Terence and Dennis embarked on divergent – but still closely intertwined – paths into public speaking, writing, and science.

Edited by Billcoz, 08 January 2019 - 02:42 AM.

#25 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:12 AM

You ever go on YouTube and listen to some of McKenna's stuff it is Soo interesting. That man had a wild mind.

#26 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:17 AM

You ever go on YouTube and listen to some of McKenna's stuff it is Soo interesting. That man had a wild mind.

Lol, yes, my sig quote is McKenna. It does not make a good quote, but when I heard him say it, I laughed for10 min. It is the way he says "shit- brained", with the inflection on "brained" lol, but it don't really land in text form. It is also not really his subject, but I thought it was funny.

McKenna was really ahead of his time, and I kind of don't like how nowadays people say he was such a woo peddler. I totally disagree.

Mckenna was very smart, and he was always saying that he tried to be rational, and though Iv'e heard him say some crazy things, he would also raise concern about the overly spiritual, magical thinking that can go along with psychedelics, like crystals and all that.

He claimed(as does Dennis) to be atheist, even though he talked about the mushroom as "talking in english" to him, he said once that he believed it was his conscience, all in the mind, but he entertains the idea that the mushroom came from some other planet or something lol!.

He understood that the "voice" of the shrooms is just your "inner voice" unfiltered by the "default mode network" in the brain, which filters out most of the stimuli input from our senses, which psychedelics are known to dim down, so that we consciously sense more of the stimuli that the "DMN" normally dims out so as to not overwhelm us with info and emotions while were trying to survive. 

Mckenna called this "the logos", from hermeticism, or gnosticism, or one of those pre-catholic christian cults(I think). I have the same thing happen on high doses, if I ask myself questions, my sub-conscious seems to answer, from a point of view that seems alien for some reason, fuck it's crazy.

And the weirdest part is that it makes me deal with and think through all the things I am feeling even the slightest bit guilty about or putting off because it's uncomfortable, and I can't put it to the back of my mind. I have to think it through until I am comfortable with the thought enough to move onto the next thought. Like it's scanning my brain, de-bugging all the crap I normally procrastinate in my mind. That's the magic of mushrooms!

#27 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:43 AM

I used to grow with the old Oss & Oeric method. They recommend mixing 160 ml of rye and 130 ml of water in each jar, with an optional dash of calcium carbonate. The jars are put straight in the pressure cooker for one hour, and that's it.

It's been a while since I did it this way, but as I recall contamination rates were not very high. However, the spawn was more difficult to shake than the jars I now prepare with a 24 hr presoak, ten minute boil & 90 minutes in the PC. 

I know it has nothing to do with the thread, but since you mentioned the book "magic Mushroom Grower's Guide"  I'll ask, did you know that Oss & Oeric are Terrence and Dennis McKenna? Check it out-

Yup. As a kind of mycology Rip Van Winkle (I quit growing in the mid-80s and came back to it a few months ago), I was fascinated to learn who my old mushroom mentors really were. It turns out it was Dennis who figured out how to fruit the spores they brought back from La Chorrera (in collaboration with a guy he calls "Mark"), and he wrote the "technical" parts of the book. Terence contributed the crazy prologue, which he says was dictated by the mushroom and transcribed verbatim, and his girlfriend Ev made the charming illustrations. Dennis gives a marvellous account of their expedition to the Amazon, in The Brotherhood of the Screaming Abyss.

The spores I grew back then were sold by their company Lux Natura as an "Amazon" strain, and were presumably directly descended from the prints they took in Columbia during their ill-fated attempt to create "a solid-state hyperdimensional circuit that is quadripartite in structure" (which they tried to do by screaming in the jungle at just the right pitch!). I imagine they sold a lot of those little glass coverslips, at fifteen dollars a pop, and the strain is probably still in cultivation.

Edited by WalkingCatfish, 08 January 2019 - 06:54 AM.

• jkdeth and Billcoz like this

#28 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,305 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

For shits and giggles, try this. I dont care what size jar you use either. Load your dry grain 1/3-1/2 full in the jar. Add water to just cover the grain. Seal and pc for 3 hours. After the pressure bleeds off and it cools down some, use potholders and shake your grain. 

It really is just that simple.

• coorsmikey, raymycoto and Billcoz like this

#29 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:41 PM

Seal and pc for 3 hours. After the pressure bleeds off and it cools down some, use potholders and shake your grain.

Have you tried this tech with spawn bags?

If there is a vent in the bag then I suspect one would have to either use it soon or store in some sort of gas impermeable bag to prevent water loss. I've made grain jars and sealed with gas exchange lids (PTFE patch) and forgot about them for a while. In a couple of months they get crusty on the top layer and I suspect they are a bit low in water content.  Now my grain jars are sealed until I need noc 'em and seal with the GE lid.

• Billcoz likes this

#30 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,305 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

When doing bags, fold the bag so the filter is on the inside of the fold if you dont plan on using them for awhile. The bags will seal on themselves and there should not be an evaporation problem. I have some I did up a few months ago and they are still fine. 

• raymycoto, Billcoz and PapMyc like this

#31 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:50 AM

When doing bags, fold the bag so the filter is on the inside of the fold if you dont plan on using them for awhile. The bags will seal on themselves and there should not be an evaporation problem. I have some I did up a few months ago and they are still fine. 

I have some sterilized popcorn, how long would that be good? It has a folded paper towel under tin foil that is sealed tight around the jars and rubber-banded. After they cooled in the pc I sprayed lysol around before opening the pc and put the jars straight into freezer bags. They are in my room(room temp). The lids are tight, with a 1/4 hole covered with 3 layers of micropore. EDIT- I did shake them well.

Edited by Billcoz, 09 January 2019 - 12:51 AM.

• onediadem likes this

#32 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:52 AM

As long as I don't run into any contamination issues. I'm pretty happy with the method I did listed above I might try the all in the jar Tek on one of my smaller tubs I would have to mess it up with 10lb Myco bags because of my mistakes lol.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

#33 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:19 AM

I'll assume that the "like" meant that the'll be good, just like the wheat berries. Thanks girl!

• onediadem likes this

#34 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,305 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:20 AM

If I am understanding correctly, you never want to spawn to bigger g2g or subs without making sure your spawn is pristine. Once inoculated and you have 25% growth, a shake is in order to expose hidden contams. I always do my spawn in jars first, and then g2g into larger bags. I think part of the issues people are having is not pc'n long enough to ensure that it is killing off contams. I always run 3 hours in the pc, let the pc cool some before even considering opening it for jars. I let bags cool overnight since you can manipulate and break up the grain through the bags. Jars need to be shaken while the grain is still warm since you are relying on shaking to break up the grains.

• coorsmikey and Billcoz like this

#35 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,305 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:23 AM

If you can find my tricks up my sleeve thread there is plenty of info in it on this subject.

• Billcoz likes this

#36 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:41 PM

When doing bags, fold the bag so the filter is on the inside of the fold if you dont plan on using them for awhile. The bags will seal on themselves and there should not be an evaporation problem. I have some I did up a few months ago and they are still fine.

If the bag is sealed and you cover the filter, they will pop in the PC when the water turns to steam in the bags.

#37 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:03 PM

When doing bags, fold the bag so the filter is on the inside of the fold if you dont plan on using them for awhile. The bags will seal on themselves and there should not be an evaporation problem. I have some I did up a few months ago and they are still fine.

If the bag is sealed and you cover the filter, they will pop in the PC when the water turns to steam in the bags.

Not if you get most the air out by wrapping it tightly. I've had one bag out of hundreds actual balloon up and crack my riser plate. Onediadem speaks from experience, a lot of it too! Plus you can also wrap them tight and not seal them. In the PC the will stick to themselves like cling wrap does. Then you can simply lift the end up and impulse seal. I seal mine before Ioading in the PC

Edited by coorsmikey, 11 January 2019 - 11:26 AM.

#38 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,305 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:44 PM

I do not seal my bags. I load them, let them sit open overnight so the grains absorb most of the water, roll them up around themselves, load them with the filter side up and pc. The pc forms a vacuum and seals the bags until you are ready to use them. If you follow the folds in the bag nice and neat that is. Roll them all hodge podgey and no telling what you'll end up with lol. Never had a bag explode. I quit sealing my bags altogether. I use office clips to close them once they are inoculated. But hey, to each their own. I just quit making this out to be rocket science many moons ago.

• coorsmikey likes this

#39 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,305 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:51 PM

I'll assume that the "like" meant that the'll be good, just like the wheat berries. Thanks girl!

Sorry hon, Yes, they should be fine.

#40 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,305 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:55 PM

Actually, let me rephrase. When I roll the bags, the filter is on the inside of the fold, and facing up when I load them in the pc.

• coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!