• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:12 AM

When doing bags, fold the bag so the filter is on the inside of the fold if you dont plan on using them for awhile. The bags will seal on themselves and there should not be an evaporation problem. I have some I did up a few months ago and they are still fine. 

Hey, this is the type of info in a post that I have to copy and paste into my notebook folder for future reference when I inevitably do wheat in bags, I'l probably try most of the methods I read on here oat some point.

Edited by Billcoz, 11 January 2019 - 12:13 AM.

• onediadem likes this

#42 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

I do not seal my bags. I load them, let them sit open overnight so the grains absorb most of the water, roll them up around themselves, load them with the filter side up and pc. The pc forms a vacuum and seals the bags until you are ready to use them. If you follow the folds in the bag nice and neat that is. Roll them all hodge podgey and no telling what you'll end up with lol. Never had a bag explode. I quit sealing my bags altogether. I use office clips to close them once they are inoculated. But hey, to each their own. I just quit making this out to be rocket science many moons ago.

Okay that makes alot more sense. They're not sealed...I forget where I read or watched that advice, but it made sense to me so I always made sure the filter wasnt obstructed, but you definitely have way more experience making your own bags, so I trust ya.

I'm still learning something new everyday.
  • PJammer24 likes this

#43 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:24 PM

So far so good. I'm happy with the method I used from the original post. It was soo easy to get the moisture content 100% correct on my Wheat Berries. I basically boiled until some of the exteriors started cracking & the interior of the grain started to get clear, almost like a very thick clear gel.

My recent post that starts "Woot Woot" has pics of the mycellium that has germinated attached itself to my berries with the no pre-soak Tek. The mycellium really seems to be enjoying it.

As long as little or no contams pop up down the line or I'll continue to go the no pre-soak route. They definitely smell better. No more yeasty warm nattie light smell.

Good Vibes to the Homies
  • Deleena24 likes this

#44 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:15 AM

I just quit making this out to be rocket science many moons ago.

Don't you mean "rocket surgery"?

• onediadem likes this

#45 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:38 AM

Rocket surgery lol... I'm starting to get that way. Even in situations where I'm like damn that mycellium looks like ass surely nothing will grow from that PoS. Those are usually the mycellium cakes that gift me with the most shroomies.

I see all these crazy substrate recipes with some sort of pseudo-science explaination behind them. Since I honed in on moisture content my simple /Verm has rocked. These next grows will contain pressed Dehydrated Hpoo because it was soo cheap to add and people swear by it.

This summer when I was growing I would take my tubs and bags and put them out on my deck for a mid-summer to flood them out just because I figured the mycellium would like some natural rainwater. No issues no contams. Sometimes I just get these gut feelings like I bet this would work or I bet the mushrooms/myc would really like this. Any more often then not they do.

You should have seen me my first few grows, during innoculation, I would look like a black market kidney harvester. Face mask, sterile gowns, mid arm gloves, hair nets, lol. I litterally would look like I was about to steal your kidneys.

Now my method consists of a Bic lol lighter and some alcohol. I'm also realizing that mycellium can take lots of abuse later in life if cared for well in the first few stages of life.

I keep telling myself I'm going to get into cloning, tissue samples, isolations but I've been more then satisfied with my yields off of clean MS syringes and they are so damn simple. I just ordered the Petri dishes and medium off of my vendor so I'm over due to learn it with these new cycle of grows.

Anyway just my experiences and two cents

#46 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

I keep telling myself I'm going to get into cloning, tissue samples, isolations but I've been more then satisfied with my yields off of clean MS syringes and they are so damn simple. I just ordered the Petri dishes and medium off of my vendor so I'm over due to learn it with these new cycle of grows.

Anyway just my experiences and two cents

Agar work is simple, but you would need a sab(or something similar, a bag), and prolly gloves/iso, spray the air, all that shit.

I am not about to buy the disposable petri dishes and toss each one after use, that's gay, and the glass ones are expensive for how many you use, so I use 1/2 pint wides. I "no pour", & sterilize em with the lid on(w/filter), but when I innoculate, instead of putting the lid, that you can't see through, back on and(in the sab) slide the just-nocced up jar into a fresh, sterile ziplock baggie, then seal it with a little bit of air trapped inside, & tighten the lid ring over the bag. This makes it so much easier to see the sectors straight on, rather than tipping, holding up to a light , i still could not see sectors very well.

(On Shroomery I read something like this)-People sometimes think they are seeing all the sectors, and they'll show a pic of what they call a monoculture, or single sector, and someone experienced will mark the pic to show the sectors they missed. They can be hard to spot, even straight on, in a petri dish, unless your experienced and know what to look fer.

Edited by Billcoz, 12 January 2019 - 10:33 AM.

#47 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 464 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

The sterile (just a new one) zip lock is an excellent idea for the mason jar agar pour. There is a very short, wide mouth that, I think is a 1/4 or 1/8 quart. I think folks here call it a squatty. That short jar will give you a better access to the agar. And another option is Saran wrap over the top. But the saran is more fiddly than the zip.  A bit more clear. Don't screw the lid on the saran. It will tear and isn't needed. Personally I would not screw the lid over the zip lock as well but perhaps it limits exposure to more air in the bag that should be sterile.

• Billcoz likes this

#48 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

I not the kind of person who will blow a wad of cash, buy a bunch of shit for a hobby, then figure out later what it's all for.

When I pick up a hobby I buy the bare minimum to get by. I'll see if I like the hobby then I will buy upgrade things things I need from that point.

I just got a really nice Excalibur Dehydrator and most of the items needed to work with agar. So my next round of purchases include a decent microscope that can post pictures to a computer or the web. I use to love looking through a microscope when I was in college. There is litterally another world invisible to our naked eye.

I also want to get a proper steam autoclave that plugs directly into the wall. If I stay with this hobby long enough the autoclave will pay for itself because my current heating source are those green coleman 1lb propane l. I use a portable propane stove the building I choose to grow in. I usually use 2lbs of propane to go through a single grain run. The PC I'm using now is a 1968 Sears Robuck 21qt. I paid 15$ for it at Goodwill and it works like a dream.

If I really like the microscopic side of things, after the scope. I might get much smaller drawer style utensil autoclave. You can get them on eBay used for a pretty reasonable price.

It's like anything else you can do this hobby very cheaply with great success or spend thousands. The sky is the limit and the cost of entry to this hobby is relatively low. Learn as I go and purchase little by little is my method of attack.

Edited by MysticalMyco, 12 January 2019 - 11:36 AM.

#49 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,685 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

20 years ago I used ziplocks for petri's. How is that for ghetto.. It worked too. Of course, now I rock fabulous petri's lol.

• coorsmikey, PinkMenace and Billcoz like this

#50 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 464 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:04 PM

OMG, don't throw away your small propanes. Either get a big tank and adapter hose to your small stove or refill them. Works like a charm. Gets your propane cost per cyl to something like 15 or 20 cents or less.

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00VVNGW5C

I deal in medical equip. Don't get a 'drawer' autoclave. Worthless (almost) for mycology. That's a toaster oven for tattoo shops. Wait for a steam one. Pelton Crane. Built like tanks and gaskets and such are common and cheap on Amazon and ebay. A really old American company that sadly recently closed its doors. We don't make any decent $hit anymore over here.

Craigslist or ebay. More on that later or PM me for info if you find one.

Edited by raymycoto, 12 January 2019 - 01:10 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#51 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,942 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:08 PM

OMG, don't throw away your small propanes. Either get a big tank and adapter hose to your small stove or refill them. Works like a charm. Gets your propane cost per cyl to something like 15 or 20 cents or less.

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00VVNGW5C

Totally what he said ^^!  Or once you get your hands on a 20lb tank (standard BBQ size), just use an adapter hose to run your stove directly off of the tank.

https://www.amazon.c...KJ8MNNT65E6T6K8

It is also cheaper to buy your own tank at the hardware store and have it filled, then using one of the exchange stations (Blue Rhino) where you trade in your old tank for the deposit and get a pre-refilled one to take with you.

#52 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:16 AM

The sterile (just a new one) zip lock is an excellent idea for the mason jar agar pour. There is a very short, wide mouth that, I think is a 1/4 or 1/8 quart. I think folks here call it a squatty. That short jar will give you a better access to the agar. And another option is Saran wrap over the top. But the saran is more fiddly than the zip.  A bit more clear. Don't screw the lid on the saran. It will tear and isn't needed. Personally I would not screw the lid over the zip lock as well but perhaps it limits exposure to more air in the bag that should be sterile.

You mean these?-IMG_20190103_023155.jpg IMG_20190103_024123.jpg

#53 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

20 years ago I used ziplocks for petri's. How is that for ghetto.. It worked too. Of course, now I rock fabulous petri's lol.

You mean you just put the agar directly into the bag? That is ghetto! Long as it worked.

#54 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

I found and interesting use for those short jars. I don't like them for agar, just too weird for me, but I put three of them in the bottom of my pc, put the trivet on top and its perfect for raising the height. I can do a double stack of half pints or a single of pints. Keeps everything well above the water when running agar in regular half pint wide mouths.
  • raymycoto likes this

#55 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 812 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

I found and interesting use for those short jars. I don't like them for agar, just too weird for me, but I put three of them in the bottom of my pc, put the trivet on top and its perfect for raising the height. I can do a double stack of half pints or a single of pints. Keeps everything well above the water when running agar in regular half pint wide mouths.

I love this idea. I have some real small jars I got for growing mycelium for milking thst would be great for this. I guess I am worried about glass being exposed directly to the bottom. Does it matter even if it cools naturally?

Edited by PinkMenace, 13 January 2019 - 12:48 PM.

#56 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:55 PM

I love this idea. I have some real small jars I got for growing mycelium for milking thst would be great for this. I guess I am worried about glass being exposed directly to the bottom. Does it matter even if it cools naturally?

Put them in upside down so the lid, not the glass is against the bottom?

#57 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

Generally its advised against glass being in contact with the pot. I have had a crack appear in one. I don't use lids, just rings and they stay submerged. The crack appeared after doing a grain in pints. Normally I would only use that for short runs, agar or LC. I do always let sit till well cooled.

#58 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

Yea, I really need to do the adapter hose. I thought about it before but I'm so close to purchasing something more suitable for my hobby. I really need to get a proper outdoor propane stove. Like the kind they do for outdoor seafood boils / fish fries.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.c...r propane stove

Even if I get a proper autoclave plug in I could still use something like that above for grains or as a secondary heat source for for a second sterilizer. Plus I can use it for steaming crabs / seafood (which I love).

Check out this auto-clave... Not sure if I would trust this under pressure. I wonder if it meets UL standards lol.

https://www.ebay.com...54AAOSwVnlakuZ4

Hello 3rd degree burns.

In regards to the last post I know a lot of people use the metal rings from extra jars to raise the jars off the extremely hot bottom. My 1968 Sears PC comes with a cage like structure that goes inside the PC that you put all your jars in. It sits too low so I'm always worried about exploding jars or overcooked grain. If I can raise the cage essentially I can raise all the jars at once. I live on the coast so what I do is grab either huge clam shells or conch shells and put them at the base of the pot in order to raise this cage-like structure. It actually works really good. I know some people also use blocks of wood, crushed cans, or a bunch of balled up foil. The actual jar idea is good too.

Anyway all good advice.

#59 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

Be careful if you buy a high output propane burner. Look it to it first, I recall some warning about using a pressure cooker on them.
  • Juthro likes this

#60 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 464 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:44 PM

Check out this auto-clave... Not sure if I would trust this under pressure. I wonder if it meets UL standards lol.

https://www.ebay.com...54AAOSwVnlakuZ4

I would trust it, I think. But, I would call that a pressure cooker for instruments and not an autoclave. It is, however, electric and this might be easier for you rather than propane. I doubt that that it is pressure or temp regulated like an autoclave. It looks like it just has a pressure pop off like a PC. A proper autoclave senses either temp or both temp and pressure and has a thermostat. I suspect that the heating element is constantly on and depends on the top off to limit the temp and it may have an over temp cutoff in the base to shut down in the event of running dry, in which case it may burn your stuff.

Edited by raymycoto, 13 January 2019 - 03:45 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!