• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:24 AM

Yea I read about PC blowing up on people because the propane stove had too my of a BTU output. So the cookers would either blow there emergency seals or blow up.

The propane stoves you might be thinking of are the ones that require the propane that looks like it's I'm a spray paint can. Those ones are high pressure and they accept butane and propane cans. You put this propane spray can looking thing in the until and basically it blows up like 10% of the time... They are made in Asia and you litterally would play lottery with your life. The can is litterally 1 inch from the flame.

I use the low pressure camp stoves. I wasn't seriously thinking about buying that autoclave lol. I ment to show the sketchiness of it. When I buy something as an upgrade I try to buy the best product I can afford or every once in awhile I'll by a great brand that is lightly used.

#62 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:01 AM

I mean the the ones for Turkey fryers, etc. The spray paint can thing is butane. Really pretty safe, but inappropriate for pc use.

#63 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:40 PM

This is one of the stoves I was talking about. Here is a link to the video. They were the types of stoves that allowed butane or propane, either or. In Asian countries you can buy propane in spray paint looking cans just like the butane.

This video is nuts. These are the types of stoves that that spray paint looking can go right inside the stove. They were making them without certain fail safes.

[Direct Link]

Certain models ended up getting banned in certain countries.

I know people were blowing shit up with the turkey friers too. I seen those videos too there pretty wild.
  • Billcoz likes this

#64 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:42 PM

Around 2:38 in the video is the good stuff (explosions)

#65 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:26 AM

Yeah. You're aware that video is sensationalized advertising produced by a company selling the gas canisters?

Sure they can explode. Especially when you combine user error and cheap Asian junk.

#66 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:44 AM

That's alot of energy from such a tiny can.

#67 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:45 AM

I had one of those exact type of butane stoves and ran a 23qt presto on it many times. They Pc did sit slightly close to the can area but it didn't seem to get too warm. 

I didn't read the entirety of this multipage thread but on the subject of nosoak wheat, I have a lot of experience and a pretty simple method.

• Rinse wheat in a strainer then put in a large pot with cold water and cover with lid.
  • Bring to 180 degrees on high heat, stirring every 5 minutes. 
  • Start 35 minute timer and reduce heat to low, cover. 
  • Dump in strainer after timer is up, strain for 30 minutes. 

that's it works good. 

#68 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

I had one of those exact type of butane stoves and ran a 23qt presto on it many times. They Pc did sit slightly close to the can area but it didn't seem to get too warm.

I didn't read the entirety of this multipage thread but on the subject of nosoak wheat, I have a lot of experience and a pretty simple method.

• Rinse wheat in a strainer then put in a large pot with cold water and cover with lid.
  • Bring to 180 degrees on high heat, stirring every 5 minutes.
  • Start 35 minute timer and reduce heat to low, cover.
  • Dump in strainer after timer is up, strain for 30 minutes.

that's it works good.

I'm totally gonna try this...

Now all I need is an excuse to buy more grain when I a 20lb bag of rye berries, a 20lb bag of WBS, and several small bags of various grains like barley and buckwheat...

I knew I should a ordered Wheat instead of rye berries...

#69 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:09 PM

You can get wheat (and milo and many other grains depending on your locale and season)  dirt ass cheap at the farm feed store. 50lb sack is around $9-$12. I like to add milo to my wheat with the same tek, Any mixture is good but I like around 75% wheat to 25% milo the best, it's my favorite "grain" 

#70 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,449 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

You can get wheat (and milo and many other grains depending on your locale and season)  dirt ass cheap at the farm feed store. 50lb sack is around $9-$12. I like to add milo to my wheat with the same tek, Any mixture is good but I like around 75% wheat to 25% milo the best, it's my favorite "grain" 

What is the benefit of a 30 min strain? Are we strain/rinsing for 30 min to wash off starches or are we saying that after 30 min of sitting in the strainer, we are ready to load jars?

#71 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

The 30 minute strain is after the "simmer" its the last step. It's just to let the excess water strain away before loading your bags up. You don't wan't too wet grains, now. Just in case terminology is different regionally, by "strain for 30 minutes" I mean pour into a strainer in the sink and let sit for 30 minutes so the water drains off into the sink. 

The first step is just a general rinse in the strainer to remove dust and chaff and possibly pesticides as much as possible. Just a good old rinsing and tossing around for the first step before the low temp "simmer" 

Edited by sandman, 16 January 2019 - 03:00 PM.

#72 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,449 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

That's what I thought... The reason I asked you to clarify is because when I do a largish amount of grain at a time, especially with popcorn, I find that the grains on the bottom tend to get a little starchy... I will often drain the pot while still warm and rinse before allowing them to dry for an hour or so on the dining room table.

#73 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

You want to avoid rinsing after the simmer bc the heat of the grain itself helps it dry.

If you rinse, the temp drops quickly, and then they take much longer to dry.

Instead of rinsing just make sure you toss/mix well in the strainer to distribute the extra starch. It won't hurt the mycelium.

With popcorn I do an overnight soak. I put it in my PC so it has a tight lid, add water that's about 200 degrees, and let it sit at least overnight. Most of the starch can be rinsed off right after this point. Then I do a 10 to 15 min simmer to finish the hydration and get them real hot so they dry nicely. Popcorn never did well for me without a soak and and simmer, because it ends up too starchy, but once you get it right it's great for cubes.

Edited by Deleena24, 16 January 2019 - 03:23 PM.

• sandman and raymycoto like this

#74 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,449 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:25 PM

You want to avoid rinsing after the simmer bc the heat of the grain itself helps it dry.

Instead of rinsing just make sure you toss/mix well in the strainer to distribute the extra starch. It won't hurt the mycelium.

With popcorn I do an overnight soak. I put it in my PC so it has a tight lid, add water that's about 200 degrees, and let it sit at least overnight. Most of the starch can be rinsed off right after this point. Then I do a 10 to 15 min simmer to finish the hydration and get them real hot so they dry nicely. Popcorn never did well for me without a soak and and simmer, because it ends up too starchy, but once you get it right it's great for cubes.

When I'm doing grain on a large scale for my edibles, ie. enough for dozens or jars at a time, the amount of starch at the bottom of the pot is increased. The starches solidify when cooled. Once cooled, rinsing them does nothing to get rid of starches. If you rinse them while still warm, much of it is washed away.

Not rinsing them leads to slow colonization and stalled jars.

Have you ever PC'd a load of popcorn and let it cool in the PC? What you find at the bottom of the PC is what the starches do when they cool... That isn't washing away once cool...

• coorsmikey likes this

#75 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

That's because popcorn is a starchy-ass grain. I don't rinse my grain (wheat and/or milo) at all after the simmer and no problems with starch. Popcorn is it's own ball of wax and requires special handling. It is an inferior grain in my experience. 

Edited by sandman, 16 January 2019 - 04:38 PM.

• onediadem likes this

#76 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,449 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

Most of the other grains I have been using, I have been doing in the jars without simmering prior. I really haven't hydrated many grains in advance (other than popcorn) since my first round with rye a decade or so ago. Taking a step back and looking at the picture, those grains work in a 1-step method partially because of their lack of starch.

I haven't used milo, I know it's your favorite, I keep meaning to go to the feed store to give it a try. 

Thanks for the clarification!

• sandman and coorsmikey like this

#77 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

When I'm doing grain on a large scale for my edibles, ie. enough for dozens or jars at a time, the amount of starch at the bottom of the pot is increased. The starches solidify when cooled. Once cooled, rinsing them does nothing to get rid of starches. If you rinse them while still warm, much of it is washed away.

Not rinsing them leads to slow colonization and stalled jars.

Have you ever PC'd a load of popcorn and let it cool in the PC? What you find at the bottom of the PC is what the starches do when they cool... That isn't washing away once cool...
I'm agreeing with you, like I said I rinse my popcorn after the soak, the water is usually still warm after the soak, and I rinse with extremely hot water for about 15 minutes.

I also forgot to mention I rinse with extremely hot water for 15 minutes before I ever soak them.

You're right though I only have an 8qt PC, so I make small batches. It is probably a different ballgame starch wise when making that much.

Popcorn is harder to get right than most popular grains for exactly this reason.

I'm gonna stick to what I said though when it comes to grain drying much faster when it's hot. That's really all I meant.

I bet if you rinsed with boiling water after the simmer the temp wouldn't drop, so you'd get the extra rinse plus have them dry quickly.

Edit- I use gypsum in my soak water, I think that does something with the stickiness of the starches, maybe? I dunno just though I shouldn't leave that out.

Edited by Deleena24, 16 January 2019 - 06:31 PM.

• sandman likes this

#78 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:52 AM

So I just hit full colonization on my B+ jars the A+ albino mycellium is a day or so behind in the 7lb bag.

Both are growing way faster for me using
the no-soak Tek listed above. Zero contam issues on 7 of 7 quart jars and the bag looks great too. I couldn't be happier up till this point in the grow.

The transfer to pasturized substrate went flawless. I've been keeping 1x jar fully colonized for grain to grain transfers. And using the other 6. I ended up putting 5.5 jars in my XL mono tub. I didn't want to go over the 3.5 inch mark since that's all the higher I out my liner so I eneded up using the last bit of substrate and the remaining 1 1/2 quarts into a Myco bag for a bag grow. LoL

This is my first time lining my tubs. I'm not so much worries about side pins. I cleaned out the tubs from my last successful grow & was more worried about cross contaminations from the previous grow's mycellium, so I went the liner route this grow. I didn't want to chance growing 2x variants of mycellium in my tub.

Everything looks and smells great again. No more warm nattie light yeastie smell with this no soak route.
  • raymycoto likes this

#79 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

Nice, what is your sub and what do you figure is your spawn to sub ratio?

And want to follow your invitro bag grow as it compares with the tub.

#80 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:15 PM

Which tek are you referring to? The simple one Sandman suggested?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!