• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Fare8

Fare8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

Conserving the substrate in PF tek by putting a barrier in the middle. The mycelium does not colonize the inside of the jar, right? Or am I wrong. Do the mushrooms need that

much of real estate?

2rpsolg.jpg

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

The mycelium should colonise right through the whole substrate. If it doesn't something else unwanted probably will.

Whilst your idea could work, assuming that bit in the middle was sterile, you'd reduce your yield as there is less food for making shrooms.

Kind regards,
Cuboids.

#3 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

Google "drinking straw tek", or "rez effect", here's one that I found, https://mycotopia.ne...tek-by-starter/there's a lot of different teks with a reservoir, some for cakes using a drinking straw, put in before pcing.

Edited by Billcoz, 07 January 2019 - 04:27 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#4 Fare8

Fare8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

The mycelium should colonise right through the whole substrate. If it doesn't something else unwanted probably will.

Whilst your idea could work, assuming that bit in the middle was sterile, you'd reduce your yield as there is less food for making shrooms.

Kind regards,
Cuboids.

Ah, didn't know that. I guess i'll just use the PF tek then.

#5 Fare8

Fare8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

Google "drinking straw tek", or "rez effect", here's one that I found, https://mycotopia.ne...tek-by-starter/there's a lot of different teks with a reservoir, some for cakes using a drinking straw, put in before pcing.

Interesting, I like it. Might try that next time.

#6 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

Oh, the link I posted was something different, but google :"drinking straw cake tek", or "rez effect cakes", it will work for pf cakes.

You put a piece of drinking straw in the center of each jar, just long enough to come up to  the top of the verm layer, but still able to tighten the lid. After PCing(sterilizing), you can pull it out, leaving a reservoir in which you can drip water into, to re-hydrate. Apparently it can make bigger shrooms. Google it, try it, and post you results here, that would be good info.

Edited by Billcoz, 07 January 2019 - 05:08 PM.

#7 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

Oh, and the straw should only be down to the center of the cake, straight up and down, not quite to the bottom.

#8 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

So you just want to save on the brf? Sorry I thought you were asking about the tek that explains what the pic shows.

#9 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

Yeah I was going to link the same things. People have tried that except with dry verm instead of empty space. That way you could add water to the middle and the verm would act as a reservoir.

Just stick to the tek. Use 1/4 pint jars if size is an issue.
  • Billcoz likes this

#10 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:58 PM

One time I did a grow with bags. When the bags started to fruit I cut the bags off and put the colonies in a sterilite tub with a 3 inch layer vermiculite on the bottom of the tubs. The colonies sat on top of the wet vermiculite. They were some of the largest mushrooms I've grown thusfar.

The colonies of mycellium started growing these root like structures into the Vermiculite. It was pretty wild.
  • coorsmikey and Billcoz like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!