• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zoneeee

zoneeee

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

Currently in incubation period, all of my mycelium seems to look healthy, and growing rapidly. If any were to contaminate, when do the first signs start to show up? Would it be after 100% colonization, or could I expect during mycelial growth?

Sorry for the nooby question, but... I am a noob

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,982 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:17 PM

It is more common for contamination to show itself early on before colonization. The uncolonized substrate is like a magnet for any competitors. Fully colonized colonies have an immune system of their own that will make them resistant to contamination. However, contamination can happen at any stage. Even when fully colonized, especially when the mycelium is weak or unhealthy.

• zoneeee likes this

#3 zoneeee

zoneeee

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

It is more common for contamination to show itself early on before colonization. The uncolonized substrate is like a magnet for any competitors. Fully colonized colonies have an immune system of their own that will make them resistant to contamination. However, contamination can happen at any stage. Even when fully colonized, especially when the mycelium is weak or unhealthy.

I just really want this to go well, is the whole "Solid" white thing ring true? If it doesn't look completely white, and say has a slightly, and I mean very slightly, yellowish tent. Could this be a contamination? My thoughts when I first saw it, was that it was mycelium with the substrate showing through in the background. I might actually take a picture of this and let you have a look for yourself if you were an experienced grower. 

I'm on day 5 or so, and just figured that it hadn't made a solid formation yet

Edited by zoneeee, 08 January 2019 - 12:35 PM.

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,982 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

Lol I've never grown anything in my life, I just have a lot of posts. Yeah, a pic could help, but 5 day is not very long. The mycelium is still young. Some folks don't even see spore germination in five days. Sounds like you're doing ok.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!