61 replies to this topic

#1 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

Hi,

Will a .5 micron filter give enough air exchange for a good initial invitro flush?

Thanks

#2 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:23 PM

Yes, absolutely! Look at any of my bag/invitro grows, that's what I use. I don't fan or mist after I spawn, just seal and wait for fruits.

I HIGHLY recommend using them in general, and especially for people looking to try bulk but dont want to dive fully in. Great next step for people after they master PF Tek. You can fit a dozens of these on shelves instead of using big tubs and drilling holes and all that.

I average about an oz cracker dry per flush from about 1lb of substrate, and get 4 flushes easy. And that's from Multispore. If I'd clone for a subspecies specifically for bags, it would be better obviously.

Just dunk for a minimum of 12 hrs between flushes. I do 24.

This is for cubensis, by the way. Other species will need additional holes and/or fanning and misting for good invitro flushes. At that point they wouldn't technically be invitro, then.

The .2 micron bags will not give good flushes, but are good for spawn.

https://mycotopia.ne...g/#entry1391112

Look at the first entry for the 1st flush...again, that's MS

Edited by Deleena24, 08 January 2019 - 06:26 PM.

• Sikfreud likes this

#3 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:27 PM

Sweet!! Very excited.

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

As Delena said, those bags will work fine. You may find that your fruits stretch a little and have smaller caps than if fruited in growing conditions with more FAE.

I like using bags because, if one goes bad, I can easily remove it from the shelf without impacting much... When larger tubs go bad, it’s just bad... Now that I think about it, I haven’t removed a bag prior to flush 3 in a while, my pasteurization game must be on point...

If you won’t be doing spawn in the bags, you may consider getting 5 micron bags rather than .5 micron... I dropped the call with my last order and Unicorn ended up sending 5 micron bags... I was disappointed that I wouldn’t be able to do spawn in them but they are probably a little better for fruiting where FAE is concerned...

Sandy uses large myco bags and stabs them a few times with a broad head prior to fruiting to provide additional fresh air... I know right? A broad head!! Don’t [email protected]#k wit that dude... I’m pretty sure he is Jason Lee (the crow) and he hangs with Korean dictators!! Not to be truffles with!! Sandman isn’t even his real name!! I know, it blew my mind too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • sandman and Sikfreud like this

#5 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,416 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:38 PM

I don't stab the mycobags, I spawn those to big "sandbags" and stab those. Someones getting stabbed somewhere. 

If I fruited out of mycobags/spawnbags I would stab em though after they are colonized and ready to fruit. And cut the top and use a paperclip to hold it closed loosely. That's just me though.

• PJammer24 and Sikfreud like this

#6 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

If you checked my post I honestly dont see how I could make the flushes better. Full canopy no fuzzy feet, no extra holes or fanning.

I know sandman has awesome bag grows, so he knows his shit, but I've tried putting more holes, polyfil and such...it made no noticable difference...I can post 4 or 5 more threads of the same bag grows never opened for fanning or misting...canopies every time even with MS.

Then again, I may just be one lucky dude.
  • sandman likes this

#7 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

Just some examples...no skinny stems here. Hehe.

All grown the same way.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181230_175543.jpg
  • 20181213_201419.jpg
  • 20181213_201506.jpg
  • 20181209_202859.jpg
  • 20181129_131432.jpg
  • 20181129_191121.jpg

• sandman and WalkingCatfish like this

#8 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:14 PM

Well experimenting only costs a little time and maybe 2 bucks on material I love this hobby. I just spawned wheat into coir coffee bags we'll see if I did it right in about 10 days:p

#9 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:30 PM

Dang, had no idea an invitro bag could perform like that.

I'm trying to find ways to get people into this hobby and to make it as simple and successful for them as possible. Seems possibly simpler than PF tech. At first I was thinking these were just grain bags that you let go to fruiting. But looking at your thread referenced above, you did a colonized rye PESA spawn to hpoo in the bag, sealed the bag (with filter in place) then just left it to colonize. So tell me if these are the steps:

• Fully colonize your grain jar
  • Add substrate and spawn to 5 micron filter myco bag with (maybe 1:1 ratio? And looks like you keep it half full or less?)
  • Allow to colonize in incubation setting (dark)
  • Wait for primordia or pins?
  • Place in fruiting mode with bags still closed - would this just be to begin photo therapy?
  • Keep sealed until time to harvest
  • Harvest
  • Dunk 24 hr
  • Reseal? Fold the top with some polyfill?
  • Repeat

I know there is also a tech around here for a single bag tech where you have spawn on the top and sub down below. Let spawn colonize then mix, colonize then fruit. I think popcorn was used on the top.

#10 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,416 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:40 AM

looks pretty decent deleena. Lotsa ways to go about it.

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

If you checked my post I honestly dont see how I could make the flushes better. Full canopy no fuzzy feet, no extra holes or fanning.

I know sandman has awesome bag grows, so he knows his shit, but I've tried putting more holes, polyfil and such...it made no noticable difference...I can post 4 or 5 more threads of the same bag grows never opened for fanning or misting...canopies every time even with MS.

Then again, I may just be one lucky dude.

I can only comment on my own experience and what I have gathered from others... I fruit almost exclusively in bags and I have found that they stretch looking for O2. Long fruits with smaller caps have been common without some type of active FAE in my experience . The bags sit on my shelves in rows with fans going down each row, and even then i have found them to stretch a bit. I haven't provided additional FAE holes to the bags but found that keeping the air moving provides a marked benefit... I have been toying with the idea of adding additional FAE to the bags, when I have time I burp them currently, but I am concerned with maintaining RH since I do not have the time or patience to mist all the bags.

I have found that a strong clone eliminates some of this but there is still a noticeable difference in how the fruits grow compared to the tubs, of which I do far fewer.

I am not trying to undermine you, I am only telling OP what he might want to expect from my own experience and from what I have gathered from the experiences of others... Having been fruiting primarily from bags for the last 7-8 years, I am drawing from a sizable data set...

Your bags look great, I am not denying that. I would hate for OP to get frustrated if they don't get your results...

Edited by PJammer24, 09 January 2019 - 11:59 AM.

• AbnormalMortaL and Sikfreud like this

#12 AbnormalMortaL

AbnormalMortaL

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

All your guy's bags blew mine out of the water, but with minor frustration comes great inspiration to do better!

#13 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:42 AM

Here is an example of another result of not having enough FAE in bags... It is far from being the end of the world but is an indication that FAE may not be ideal...

fuzzy.jpg

#14 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

I'm just having fun trying to figure out what's going to work for me :p. I'm in no rush. BRF cakes produce more than I'll need. But hey it's fun to see what works and what doesn't. Im excited to see what happens. I do think that bags are going to be the way to go it's just finding what works best for my environment. I'm just glad I found this community; you guys are awesome. I hope that I'll be confident enough in my knowledge to help others.

#15 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

Well I have a few bags colonizing I may try a few things in fruiting. I'll just be happy if they fully colonize. I can always get them more air:p

#16 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 852 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

I'm trying to find ways to get people into this hobby and to make it as simple and successful for them as possible. Seems possibly simpler than PF tech. At first I was thinking these were just grain bags that you let go to fruiting. But looking at your thread referenced above, you did a colonized rye PESA spawn to hpoo in the bag, sealed the bag (with filter in place) then just left it to colonize. So tell me if these are the steps:

• Add substrate and spawn to 5 micron filter myco bag with (maybe 1:1 ratio? And looks like you keep it half full or less?)
  • Place in fruiting mode with bags still closed - would this just be to begin photo therapy?
  • Harvest
  • Dunk 24 hr
  • Repeat
I know there is also a tech around here for a single bag tech where you have spawn on the top and sub down below. Let spawn colonize then mix, colonize then fruit. I think popcorn was used on the top.

Pretty much, but I leave them to colonize and fruit in the same place. They also get light about 12hrs a day.

For the tops once in a while I use an actual sealer, but usually I just roll the top down to right above the filter and use 2 clothespins or paperclips to keep them shut.

I am always recommending this method to people looking to go bulk, but not totally jump in and have to worry about FCs and all that.

Jammer, having moving air is always a good idea with the bags, but pointing a fan directly at them causes me problems with drying out the sub a bit too early, leading me to have to mist, then it's not true invitro anymore.

I seriously dont know why I get such amazing results with my bags, while some people get skinny mushrooms and weakish results. IME the more I mess with them the worse they do...are you sure you were using .5 micron? Were you using a clone that maybe is accustomed to a different environment? Just trying to figure it out...

Maybe different manufacturers use different filters allowing for better FAE, even though they have the same specs?

Give me a few weeks I am going to experiment with different bulk subs in the bags, and use different bags also. I'm going to try the ones that have the 2 rows of filters instead of the single patch.

If the Organic MG works with these bags, that would be amazing for newbs. We can just tell them " buy this, mix your colonized substrate with it in a filterbag, and wait" basically.
  • raymycoto and Sikfreud like this

#17 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

• Harvest
  • Dunk 24 hr
  • Repeat

Pretty much, but I leave them to colonize and fruit in the same place. They also get light about 12hrs a day.

For the tops once in a while I use an actual sealer, but usually I just roll the top down to right above the filter and use 2 clothespins or paperclips to keep them shut.

I am always recommending this method to people looking to go bulk, but not totally jump in and have to worry about FCs and all that.

Jammer, having moving air is always a good idea with the bags, but pointing a fan directly at them causes me problems with drying out the sub a bit too early, leading me to have to mist, then it's not true invitro anymore.

I seriously dont know why I get such amazing results with my bags, while some people get skinny mushrooms and weakish results. IME the more I mess with them the worse they do...are you sure you were using .5 micron? Were you using a clone that maybe is accustomed to a different environment? Just trying to figure it out...

Maybe different manufacturers use different filters allowing for better FAE, even though they have the same specs?

Give me a few weeks I am going to experiment with different bulk subs in the bags, and use different bags also. I'm going to try the ones that have the 2 rows of filters instead of the single patch.

If the Organic MG works with these bags, that would be amazing for newbs. We can just tell them " buy this, mix your colonized substrate with it in a filterbag, and wait" basically.

If anything, the issues I have had over time have been high RH not enough FAE... The small clip fans that blow down the rows on my shelves don't dry them out but do provide some FAE. They also aren't blowing directly on the filters but, rather, provide a flow of air going down the rows. I have the filters facing the interior so the air flow goes passed the filter of each bag in the row but not directly at the filter.

I think that a .5 micron filter should be comparable to another company's .5 micron filter, providing the surface area of the filters are identical... Plus I think that a very high percentage of the bags being used are produced by Unicorn. Unicorn does have a couple different filter styles but I am not sure what benefits one may provide over another. Perhaps someone can enlighten me...?

I am not going for pure invitro so much as a practical way to accomplish my goals with a busy schedule.

• Deleena24 and Sikfreud like this

#18 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 852 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

I feel ya, I just wish I could pinpoint why my bags always do so well while others get results they aren't exactly happy with...

I get such great results I want others to be able to get fruits so damn easily.

BTW my temps are relatively low where I keep my bags. It fluctuates between 68-72 degrees, they're on the opposite side of the room where my heated Martha is. Maybe that's a factor?
  • sandman likes this

#19 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

I feel ya, I just wish I could pinpoint why my bags always do so well while others get results they aren't exactly happy with...

BTW my temps are relatively low where I keep my bags. It fluctuates between 68-72 degrees, they're on the opposite side of the room where my heated Martha is. Maybe that's a factor?

I am happy with my results but it took me a while to get there. There was some trial and error involved... I am always trying to perfect my craft which is why I am considering experimentation with additional FAE holes.

The temps in my fruiting area are currently ranging from 68-71 degrees. I do think that heat plays a role. A lot of the effect I was describing with the stretching fruit bodies occurred when the grow room was an upstairs bedroom that was not kept at ideal temperatures, especially during the summer months... The current space keeps much more constant temperatures within a more ideal range.

I have only been back at this space for a short time and due to a natural disaster, within my small sphere of influence, and my refusal to be assertive with a friend, I have had to start over, basically, from scratch... I have a super handy ex-girlfriend coming into town in a couple weekends to help me do some framing... I had to gut the entire area when I moved back in. I have a wide open, raw, 1,200 square foot space to do with as I please...  :cool:  It is time to roll up the sleeves and get to work...  :bat:

Edited by PJammer24, 09 January 2019 - 12:49 PM.

• sandman, Deleena24 and WalkingCatfish like this

#20 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

OK, I have a bunch of mycobags, with just the right kind of filter, so maybe I can learn to do it, too.  Do you happen to remember how this knowledge got into your head?  :biggrin:

Edited by WalkingCatfish, 09 January 2019 - 03:58 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!