• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 AbnormalMortaL

AbnormalMortaL

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

Yea those are good. 2 mil works fine too. I like 24x10x36 gusseted 2 mil bags the best.

What do think the max weight limit of the 2 mil 10×36 would hold?

#42 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

about 20 lbs. Im using 7-8lbs spawn and 8-10 lbs of substrate in those size bags and it's pretty maxed out. (24x10x36 gusseted bags)

Edited by sandman, 11 January 2019 - 10:40 AM.

• AbnormalMortaL likes this

#43 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 464 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:55 AM

about 20 lbs. Im using 7-8lbs spawn and 8-10 lbs of substrate in those size bags.

That's a big bag! When I've gone big on bins they have failed. Are there any special considerations with that much sub re GE or anything else? I think I was low on GE with my big bins. And they might have gotten too warm. Had them in a warm area and with the large volume of sub, I believe they might actually heat up. At least that's my thought. I have one rather large and deep bin I'm colonizing now and the bottom always feels too warm and it's not colonizing in the middle of the bottom.

And is this with the big Walmart bags or actual myco bags with vents?

D24, have you found a sweet spot for bag size for your invitro grows?

Edited by raymycoto, 11 January 2019 - 10:55 AM.

#44 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:03 AM

It's roughly the same size as a standard large 60qt monotub. You just have to have good pasteurizing and clean spawn thats it. They arent walmart bags lol walmart is like the new wannabe amazon they just happened to have those on their site you can't buy them in the store or anything. They are just gusseted poly bags, available from any number of plastic bag manufacturers and suppliers like uline in various quantities. 

d24 is using large size spawn bags, Unicorn type 14A.

• raymycoto likes this

#45 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 464 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

Thanks, Sandman. How do you manage GE on that size?

#46 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

I stab them with a broadhead crossbow bolt. Once on each short size at spawning, then 5 or 6 more times on one long side after pin formation. The trick is supporting the top of the bag so that it can sit on a shelf and maintain an air volume inside. I have thin strips of wood I custom made that I roll the tops of the bags up with and those "hang" loosely in little wire loops attached to the shelf. 

• PJammer24 and Sikfreud like this

#47 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:36 AM

I stab them with a broadhead crossbow bolt. Once on each short size at spawning, then 5 or 6 more times on one long side after pin formation. The trick is supporting the top of the bag so that it can sit on a shelf and maintain an air volume inside. I have thin strips of wood I custom made that I roll the tops of the bags up with and those "hang" loosely in little wire loops attached to the shelf. 

Aka.... "The trade secret..."

• sandman and Sikfreud like this

#48 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:54 AM

Aka.... "The trade secret..."

Lol the Stabbing or the Hanging? :P

#49 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

i've said too much

• PJammer24 and Sikfreud like this

#50 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 464 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:57 AM

Nice, is there a write up on this somewhere?

And you stab them in the empty area above the sub? Or do they fruit from the stab wounds below like oysters?

I presume your tech has proven itself and although it would seem to me to open up unfiltered GE that must not have been a problem (contams)?  Or you got the proprietary 5 micron broadheads!

This work for cubensis?

Edited by raymycoto, 11 January 2019 - 11:58 AM.

#51 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:59 AM

Theres no write up for this method yet, it's an evolved method of my old sandbag tek. I do need to make an updated version.

Yea stab a few inches above substrate level. If your spawn is clean and your pasteurization is on point it won't contam from open air. 

Edited by sandman, 11 January 2019 - 11:59 AM.

• Sikfreud likes this

#52 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:03 PM

Makes sense. How to you go about harvesting and "resetting" for following flushes?

#53 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:21 PM

It's roughly the same size as a standard large 60qt monotub. You just have to have good pasteurizing and clean spawn thats it. They arent walmart bags lol walmart is like the new wannabe amazon they just happened to have those on their site you can't buy them in the store or anything. They are just gusseted poly bags, available from any number of plastic bag manufacturers and suppliers like uline in various quantities.

d24 is using large size spawn bags, Unicorn type 14A.

When it comes to bags I knew you were knowledgable, but knowing that offhand is ridiculously specific. I am impressed to say the least.
  • sandman likes this

#54 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:06 PM

I use the same ones too Deleena, just for my grain spawn though. I am blushing though!

Sikfreud harvesting couldn't be easier. You just take the bag to a table and open it up and go to town. I use a knife to cut harvest. Then I do absolutely nothing but put it back up on the shelf. You can get 2 good flushes without doing anything. Then I throw them out, contams start showing up after that.

• Deleena24, Sikfreud and DanceOfBliss like this

#55 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 812 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:48 PM

Theres no write up for this method yet, it's an evolved method of my old sandbag tek. I do need to make an updated version.

Yea stab a few inches above substrate level. If your spawn is clean and your pasteurization is on point it won't contam from open air.

I would LOVE it if you wrote a new tek, your old one definitely inspired me. I offer my servives for proof reading, editing, or doing a trial runs of it and coming back with questions. Pretty much anything that would help.
  • sandman likes this

#56 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

You've indicated that the growing temperatures you use are within 68-71f, is that for the whole process or after the bags have colonized fully?

Also I'm concern about high humidity. What's the best say to inspect for this before is too late...condensation inside the bag?

#57 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

Yeah my room temps where the bags are are exactly that...I let them colonize and fruit on the same shelves, no changes from incubating to fruiting. They get the same 12 hrs of light as everything else. I never bother to put things in the dark...I'm weird though.

Now that I know the method I just spawn and check in about 10 days, I have never had a problem with too much condensation...if there is pooling water on the bottom, which only happens right after a dunk, just pour it out. Your hydration should be good before you ever PC the substrate or after pastuerizing. Other than that, the less I mess with em the better.
  • TheArchangel and DanceOfBliss like this

#58 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:50 AM

Cool.

I just did two 1-pound bags from a 1-quart jar. Let's see how they do.

• Deleena24 likes this

#59 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 464 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:20 AM

Deleena, are you starting with 0.5 micron patches or other? And how do you resolve the issue in the same bag that 5 micron might be too big for spawn (contaminant issue, I guess) while 0.5 might be too small for fruiting stage (inadequate GE).

I think my bags are 0.5 micron (darn, I should have labelled them or made a note of what I got. No way to tell, I guess. Maybe I can find my online order somewhere.)

#60 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:34 AM

I can tell very easily what filter you have if you show a picture of the bag they all look totally different. And the filter has nothing to do with the size you can get about 4 different size bags with 3 different type filters each. 

• raymycoto likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!