• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

Deleena, are you starting with 0.5 micron patches or other? And how do you resolve the issue in the same bag that 5 micron might be too big for spawn (contaminant issue, I guess) while 0.5 might be too small for fruiting stage (inadequate GE).

I think my bags are 0.5 micron (darn, I should have labelled them or made a note of what I got. No way to tell, I guess. Maybe I can find my online order somewhere.)

My bags are the .5, same as yours.

I have successfully used them for spawn, too.

Edit- if I wasnt clear, I use the exact same bags for fruiting as I do for spawn when I make my own. If you have LC instead of spores use it. It colonized faster, giving contaminants less time to get a hold.

Edited by Deleena24, 14 January 2019 - 02:53 PM.

#62 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:59 PM

For anyone who does accidently get the full 5.0 micron bags, I see no reason why you couldn't use them for spawn if you covered the filter with a layer of micropore tape after the PC. Or even a layer of that polyfil that comes in rolls. It will act as a prefilter IMO, keeping the small microbes out, while still getting the benefits of a bit more air exchange.
  • raymycoto and DanceOfBliss like this

#63 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

My bags are looking very moist all around, including the substrate, judging from outside....any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4747.JPG
  • IMG_4748.JPG
  • IMG_4749.JPG

#64 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:35 PM

thats normal, just condensation inside.

• Deleena24 likes this

#65 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:47 PM

Cool, thx

#66 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 421 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:36 AM

I can tell very easily what filter you have if you show a picture of the bag they all look totally different. And the filter has nothing to do with the size you can get about 4 different size bags with 3 different type filters each.

Took me a while to find the bags. Here you go @sandman. What size filters do you think we have here. Two different bags. One small and a larger one but the filters look the same.

20190201_050227.jpg

20190201_050251.jpg

20190201_050256.jpg

20190201_050301.jpg

#67 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:06 PM

LOL you just had to send a picture of the new Chinese bags that I am not familiar with yet...But the filter material looks to be similar/the same to the 0.5 micron patches that unicorn uses. The 5 micron patches are pretty thin and the 0.2 micron patches are really thick and shiny and quite firm.

• coorsmikey and raymycoto like this

#68 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:21 PM

Well actually not really the same, they don't use the same filter materials that unicorn uses so I really would just be talking out my ass which is not like me at ALL! But it looks closest to unicorns 0.5 micron.

20190201_2116571.jpg

20190201_2116411.jpg

#69 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 421 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:04 AM

Ah... thanks, sandman. I do believe you are right. I had a feeling I had ordered the 0.5 micron!

So I might ask . . . I've heard such about great invitro results from you and D24. I'll plan on using those bags to mix grain and sub. After colonizing, I figure I'd unroll the top and insert some filter cloth in the opening then roll back up for the added FAE of fruiting since the 0.5 may not be enough. Although D24 said he just leaves his alone. If that works, I prob shouldn't modify it.

BTW, @Archangel, how are your myc bags looking? You planning on invitro or what?

Edited by raymycoto, 02 February 2019 - 12:38 AM.

#70 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2019 - 08:09 AM

Hey you klnow my preference for invitro bags https://mycotopia.ne...fficial-thread/ although I wouldnt really call them invitro bags since its a big spawned bag...Anyway..

Edited by sandman, 02 February 2019 - 08:10 AM.

#71 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

Ah... thanks, sandman. I do believe you are right. I had a feeling I had ordered the 0.5 micron!

So I might ask . . . I've heard such about great invitro results from you and D24. I'll plan on using those bags to mix grain and sub. After colonizing, I figure I'd unroll the top and insert some filter cloth in the opening then roll back up for the added FAE of fruiting since the 0.5 may not be enough. Although D24 said he just leaves his alone. If that works, I prob shouldn't modify it.

BTW, @Archangel, how are your myc bags looking? You planning on invitro or what?

Since you have a couple bags, try 1 with no holes, and 1 with. That way you'll see what works best for you.
  • raymycoto likes this

#72 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:44 AM

Not good results for me but it has to do with some getting used to this tek and also I've been working with some suspect spawns. These spawns were from wbs I bought pre-made from a company....will never do that again. They took forever to colonize etc. I don't trust this company cause they seem to have sent me lots of really old stuff that's just not working right. Well, back to the bags, one day I notice some spaghetti like thingies on my substrate.....I opened the bags and realized they were mushrooms about 1cm long.....I then proceeded to make some holes and fill with polyfill....just as sandman has on his bag growing tek. It helped a little but not much. Next I decided to open the bags a couple of times a day and fan them a little and things got better. The other bag did better cause I never got the really thin mushies. Over all the fruits have been very minimal and awfully small. I mean like 0.5 - 1.5 inch for B+, which is supposed to be large fruits. However I've been having this same results with the wbs I fruited as cake on the martha. I should be able to have a better idea later as per why this is happening.

I did two more bags on Jan 29th and of Feb 7 I found mushrooms about 3mm size, this is a GT bag, the other is brazilian, that has not pinned yet. These two bags were from brf cakes I did myself. I have to say that the GT is a crazy fast pinner cause I've been seeing it in different mediums where it just pins even before is finishes colonizing or is even ready to fruit. On these two bags I did some modifications starting two days ago, I made some large holes with polyfill and placed some wet paper towels that hang in the air, they are being supported by the paper clips that keep the bags closed. I'm just experimenting things to see what shows me important data then I'll have an idea on how to fine tune things. I have other projects that if they work I'll just stick to that method cause is easier, inexpensive and more manageable, I'll even undo the martha too and use this other method.

• raymycoto likes this

#73 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

probably making substrate too wet archy

#74 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

I didn't do anything to the bags as they came already pasteurized. A couple of days into it I did remember slightly misting them and there was never pooling water just some minor condensation inside. I forgot to say that after a week of pinning I decided to move the substrate from the bags to the martha inside some trays. There they have produced some few small fruits. The cakes never looked too well colonized and compacted like some pictures I've seen. So I'm thinking that it's the nature of these jars that are kind of old and don't colonize too well? I know it's not contamination cause nothing points to that and they smell nice but the cakes are a little fluffy. I had a hard time deciding how to hydrate the one cake yesterday thinking it'd dissolve in the water :) If substrate being below field capacity could be a possibility I woulnd't have any problems agreeing with that.

Edited by TheArchangel, 08 February 2019 - 03:27 PM.

#75 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

If it's the company I'm thinking that really may have something to do with it. Sorry you had a bad experience but it shows you what to avoid in the future.

Everyone has a different opinion on what they consider perfect hydration, and it takes some tweaking to find your preference.

#76 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:56 PM

If it's the company I'm thinking that really may have something to do with it. Sorry you had a bad experience but it shows you what to avoid in the future.

Everyone has a different opinion on what they consider perfect hydration, and it takes some tweaking to find your preference.

No worries :) When I saw the way it was going with them I attacked this hobby full time and I'm getting some good results now from my own stuff. Thanks to your advises that is.

Here are some pictures of the GT bag I did on Jan 29th. The earlier pictures (1, 2, 3, 4) are from sat 9th, and Picture # 5 is from today...amazing. You can see a small cake there too, I wanted to show you the fat one on it, whereas we do have some skinny ones on the large cake. I'm assuming this is cause those were started in the not too ventilated bag?

It took the same time to be able to harvest fruits over all. I mean the single cake and the big cake from the mycobag were all from projects started on Jan12 from multispore syringe on brf 1/2 pint jars. These golden teacher are crazy fast.

Picture #6 is a brazilian strain started also on Jan12 and as you can see it's not doing too well.

I moved both from the mycobags cause for some reason they kept pinning on the lower sides of the bags and some almost underneath. Luckily I did cause there were some that I was only able to notice once I removed the cake from the bag and they were the largest at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 3.JPG
  • 4.JPG
  • 5.JPG
  • 6.JPG

Edited by TheArchangel, 11 February 2019 - 06:58 PM.

• Deleena24 likes this

#77 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:08 PM

I'm just glad you're getting some magic for all your hard work.

Bags may not be everyone's bag, ya dig? Sometimes people get better results with different methods. That's where experience comes in. Just getting enough grows under your belt to see what works for you, what doesnt, and what you prefer overall based on work vs. desired outcome.

I may have only posted a small amount of grows, but I've got dozens upon dozens more that I didnt show. A nice chunk of those were failures or below expectations (Ill admit I've only gotten a couple bag grows that I wasnt happy with though) Live and learn. That's all we can do.
  • sandman, coorsmikey and TheArchangel like this

#78 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:18 AM

Some PESA from a bag, 3rd flush. This strain gets huge in the later flushes.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190212_155157.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!