• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pschippie

Pschippie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

So I have a question I’m a newb and have 12 jars in fc for 2 days now I dunked for 14hrs they are the 1/4jars and idk y but the cakes look dry is it even possible if I just dunked them and humidity is always above 95% and temp is at 73to 75f am I just freaking out? Also I should add that one cake has few knots of little pins probably 1/8in

#2 Pschippie

Pschippie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:04 PM

I put a space heater in the room that my fc in could that be drying them out?

#3 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:45 PM

If the heater is pointed at the cakes, yes, possible. Dont have the dry heat pointing in the direction of the chamber and keep it at a decent distance.

#4 Pschippie

Pschippie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:42 AM

Even if the humidity is at 99%? they still could be dry?

#5 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

Do you have a humidity moniter? You might they're cheap enough, however if not don't assume misting/moisture on the side of the FC ='s 99% humidity.

The visible knots are what I always look for. You can always press the outter rim of the cake witglh your finger, if it appears crusty you may have issues. If it sinks in with no crust you are should be good to go. At the point of full colonization you don't have to worry as much about contams from touch.

I always use the touch test just make sure you wash your hands with antibacterial soap and/or light alcohol. You can always get a pH / Moisture moniter off Amazon. They have two little prods and an analog gauge. I got mine for $4 as an add-on to my order. I use it all the time.

Edited by MysticalMyco, 09 January 2019 - 10:47 AM.

#6 Pschippie

Pschippie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:45 AM

Yes I do hAve a monitor it says 95 to 99% humidity I’m saying can cakes be dry even tho there is high humidity

#7 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

Yes, they can. Don't know the exact mechanics of it, but I've had it happen when I was first starting quite a bit. Now I make sure to keep my humidity at at least 98% with cakes.

Plus your cakes are tiny, I am guessing they lose moisture quite easily. And the water is also used for basic life function and metabolic processes, it's hard for water to penetrate the rubbery outside of a cake. The cake also generates heat, which probably has some type of effect...

Again, I am guessing... hopefully someone has some science or more experience to answer with.

#8 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,854 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:36 PM

Most cheap "humidity monitors" are not accurate, especially at that high of a range.(science) Pick up the Cake/s and if they feel light like a dry sponge, then they are dry. If they feel heavy like a wet sponge then they are probably good. If the heater is of concern of drying your cakes, then ditch it. Your cakes may thank you! Plus dropping the temp while fruiting is just another trigger for pins.

#9 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:39 PM

Most cheap "humidity monitors" are not accurate, especially at that high of a range.(science) Pick up the Cake/s and if they feel light like a dry sponge, then they are dry. If they feel heavy like a wet sponge then they are probably good. If the heater is of concern of drying your cakes, then ditch it. Your cakes may thank you! Plus dropping the temp while fruiting is just another trigger for pins.

Well said. Unless your temps are below 65, they'll fruit just fine. No need for the heater. My cakes are fruited and colonized at 68 degrees, and without trying to brag, I get damn good results.

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,976 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:48 AM

I put cakes on a nice bed verm using plastic snack dishes. I keep the verm very wet and add water periodically. Probably would really benefit cakes that small

#11 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:25 AM

14 hours seems a bit short maybe? Most of the info I've read says 18-24.

Also, I'm a noob too, so don't listen to me

The heater can't dry out your FC if it's closed, but I wouldn't keep it took close either.

Just finishing up with my first flush ever, try to be patient with it. One strain pinned within a few days, the other didn't do anything for almost 10, and 8-10 is "normal" timeframe.

#12 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

14 hours seems a bit short maybe? Most of the info I've read says 18-24.

Also, I'm a noob too, so don't listen to me

The heater can't dry out your FC if it's closed, but I wouldn't keep it took close either.

Just finishing up with my first flush ever, try to be patient with it. One strain pinned within a few days, the other didn't do anything for almost 10, and 8-10 is "normal" timeframe.

When the air is warmer, its able to hold more humidity. Let's say he kept his humidity at 99% when its 68 degrees. Increase the temperature to 78, the air is able to hold more moisture, and the humidity will drop to 85%, meaning hed have to supply additional humidity to get back up to 99%...

Even though the FC is closed I'm almost positive he wont have it completely air tight, unless hes using weather stripping for some reason...and as we all know gas (steam/humidity) will move from high to low concentrations from diffusion alone.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!