• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zoneeee

zoneeee

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:54 AM

Day 6 of incubation, are these contaminated? The picture is slightly off in color, there is no green. It looks to me slightly yellow on the mycelium. I don't know if its just the substrate or what, are these going to be okay? 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6483.PNG

Edited by zoneeee, 09 January 2019 - 05:58 AM.

#2 HooKworm

HooKworm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:42 AM

Does it look wet between the mycelium and glass?

#3 zoneeee

zoneeee

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:48 AM

No I wouldn't say so

#4 zoneeee

zoneeee

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:21 AM

Is it possible its metabolites? all of my jars look it, and I did have the heat a little too high.

#5 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

It looks like vermiculite between the mycellium and the glass. In my opinion as long as you don't see any Slime, powders, or colors other then white (majority) / yellow (minority) then you should be good to go.

I think it's more the lighting in your pictures if anything. If your notice that your darker white mycellium takes a turn to green & powdery or black/brown & powdery then you'll want to toss it.

If you are unsure wait till full colonization (if that happens) try to birth it in one piece. With a q-tip dab the piece in question and see if there is any transfer of spore/slime. That's always my go to test.

I can't tell if your doing grain spawn with vermiculite on the bottom or some version of PF Tek. Either way the method above should work since you are using hat's without a taper.

When moist Vermiculite has a tendency to stick to the outer edge. I would let it keep growing, but that's just me.
  • Deleena24 likes this

#6 zoneeee

zoneeee

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

It looks like vermiculite between the mycellium and the glass. In my opinion as long as you don't see any Slime, powders, or colors other then white (majority) / yellow (minority) then you should be good to go.

I think it's more the lighting in your pictures if anything. If your notice that your darker white mycellium takes a turn to green & powdery or black/brown & powdery then you'll want to toss it.

If you are unsure wait till full colonization (if that happens) try to birth it in one piece. With a q-tip dab the piece in question and see if there is any transfer of spore/slime. That's always my go to test.

I can't tell if your doing grain spawn with vermiculite on the bottom or some version of PF Tek. Either way the method above should work since you are using hat's without a taper.

When moist Vermiculite has a tendency to stick to the outer edge. I would let it keep growing, but that's just me.

Thank you for this response/advice. This gives me some hope. Mycelium is continuing to grow and expand, and it looks like the yellowish tent is actually even getting lighter. I think it is just the vermiculite. Thanks again! 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!