• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hollydee2003

Hollydee2003

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:56 AM

It’s been two and a half weeks almost and I’ve had an enormous pin set but no growth. Now a few are slowly but surely growing but they look kind of skinny and beat up around the stem. What could this be from? Maybe it could answer my question of why these are talking so damn long to grow. This is the first flush btw.
Tek- tray in a monotub. Rye berry & poo substrate. 4 polyfill holes around each side. Ceiling fan on in the room, humidity stays at 90 and temp is 75 inside.

Attached Thumbnails

• A81E0821-3D38-4F48-AC78-C4B6FD95A4A0.jpeg
  • 7256F7B5-D9A6-4C4D-AA37-E78253F85FF2.jpeg

Edited by Hollydee2003, 09 January 2019 - 11:59 AM.

• Rantrapr and ableskeever like this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,137 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

I think that most of those pins have aborted... That is a crazy good pinset, the problem is that when that many fruits are competing for the same resources, you will often have a pretty high abort rate... Based on how long you have been waiting and the look of your tub, it looks to me like nearly all the initial pins aborted and that the few that are growing came along later...

There are other reasons that can lead to aborts also... If there isn't enough moisture in the sub for one... There also could have been a change in the environment that caused some trauma and led to the aborts... 

Looking at the sub, it kinda looks dry in places... You may not have enough moisture in the substrate to support fruit growth...  

• Hollydee2003 and ableskeever like this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,137 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

Jesus.... Your pinset literally covers the entirety of the substrate surface... Pretty Rad even if they didn't mature as hoped!!

• ableskeever likes this

#4 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, wow! Amazing pinset!

That many pins probably sucked every drop of water out of the sub before they could mature.
  • ableskeever likes this

#5 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

Yes exactly what PJ is saying. How long has it been since the first pin till now? In your situation you may want to pick all that aborts off. Those would be the ones with the black/really dark tips. Even though they are aborts, the may still be taking some of the nutrients. Nutrients = energy = growth and you simply have too much competing for the first part of that equation

I have never seen such a thing you litterally have the reverse problem most people have. You have too many pins. LoL that's F'n crazy

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
  • ableskeever likes this

#6 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:46 PM

If you don't want to pick the aborts at a certain point the will pull less or close to none of the nutrients allowing the other pins to grow. If it we're me I would pull all the dark abort pins that aren't directly around an 'active pin'.

Someone else with more knowledge on the situation may tell you better advice. I pull my a aborts as soon as I see them if they don't look like they will disturbed the mycellium network around the pins I'm focused on.

If it appears crusty and dry I've had success using sterile water and a sterile syringe injecting water directly into the substrate.

Sent from my XXX using Tapatalk

Edited by MysticalMyco, 09 January 2019 - 12:50 PM.

• Hollydee2003 likes this

#7 Hollydee2003

Hollydee2003

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

Yeah I was shocked when I saw how many pins formed. It’s been almost 2 weeks since the first pins appeared. There were way too many to pick by hand so I ended up having to break the sub off in portions and take a knife and try my best to scrape as much off as possible. While doing that I did notice that the sub was dry in most parts. I mixed all the sub up after that, put it in a tray and sprayed a bunch of water to try and hydrate it a bit. Do you think I might have a shot with that method with a second flush?

#8 Hollydee2003

Hollydee2003

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

Here’s some photos from when the pins first appeared.

Attached Thumbnails

• 704408CF-6D83-4B09-A170-1420B5EC6707.jpeg
  • E5DF20AB-56CF-4AD4-8350-1217580DDB09.jpeg

Edited by Hollydee2003, 09 January 2019 - 01:15 PM.

• AbnormalMortaL likes this

#9 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,137 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

misting isn't going to cut it... You need to dunk that sucka... You want it to sit in water for 12-20ish hours. It's ok if it floats... over that period it will absorb more water and be ready to fruit again...

Sometimes I wonder if, in a situation like this, all the pinning mojo gets used up... Soak her and let her rip...

#10 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

I want your substrate recipe!!! LoL
  • AbnormalMortaL likes this

#11 Hollydee2003

Hollydee2003

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:10 PM

Someone said A heavy pinset can indicate bacterial infection.. it's called stress fruiting; the culture rushing to propagate...

Has anyone heard of that?

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,265 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

Yeah. Where did the substrate come from?It may be too rich or too fresh and its bacterial. That kind of pinset is never a good thing, it means somethings wrong.

#13 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:21 PM

Yeah. Where did the substrate come from?It may be too rich or too fresh and its bacterial. That kind of pinset is never a good thing, it means somethings wrong.

Seriously? NEVER a good thing? The type of pinsets have no chance of succeeding? Even just for a single flush?

#14 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:31 AM

Those pinsets are often observed in weird genetics. I see this often in failed Crossbreeding. I'm surprised that nobody has asked what strain it is. BTW what strain is it? 

#15 Hollydee2003

Hollydee2003

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:49 PM

It’s B+ strain. The substrate came from outgrow. But I bought it over a year ago. It’s been sitting in the fridge this whole time. I did do a test batch on a smaller tray before I used it and it did just fine. As a matter of fact it was on its way to a fourth flush the whole time this one was still pinning!

I just started making my own sub consisting of poo/verm/gypsum/coir and prints last week. I’ve got 3 trays colonizing right now. I’m so amped to see my final results.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!