Help with Grow Set Up

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:52 PM

Hey everyone, recently my state has decriminalized MJ , so im trying to set myself up for the first time since the Rubbermaid grow from 14 years s ago, lol. So my space is about 10x10 but I'm only using about 6-7 feet of space by about 3ft. I'm worried about light loss also my light set up just seems not right. I'm running 3, thousand watt equivalent LED Grow lights. I haven't started anything yet since I have no clue where seeds can be procured, but I'd like to be ready when I finally do solve that problem. Please some suggestions about set up would be welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2475.JPG
  • IMG_2474.JPG
  • IMG_2475.JPG

Edited by SharkieJones, 09 January 2019 - 02:54 PM.

#2 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

Umm first thing I would worry about is where the water is gonna go when you spill it.

#3 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

Lol nm the pics upside down

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:05 PM

You can use mylar to help mitigate light loss or some type of build using flat white paint... I have seen successful grows which don't concern themselves all that much with a little bit of light being lost....

I would be more concerned with the growing medium I was going to use, How I was going to prepare my water, PH levels.... Maybe a plan for hasty pest irradiation which will no doubt be necessary at some point.

I think that soil selection/prep and being able to provide proper water (R/O machine) with proper PH is more of a concern than a little light loss...

PS... If this is your first time, have your final transplant be into bigger pots than you think you need!

It could be in my head or maybe not... I feel like the rate of mushroom contamination from trichoderma has been higher in spots where there has also been an MJ grow... Trichoderma is great in fantastic soils and I think that keeping projects separate and not tracking contaminates into your mushroom grow areas should be a concern.

#5 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:25 PM

So I was planning to build a drainage system to carry away the water, as far as water source I have a place by me that purifies water and is PH balanced. This is my first so soil will be my grow medium, my thought was to buy a preformulated soil designed for this sort of thing. Not sure about the Mylar I've never used it before, is it cheap? Can it be procured at a Home Depot?
Insects now I haven't thought about, so I probably need to figured that out.
As far as soils go any suggestions? Also larger pots, bigger than 5 gallon?
Thanks for the responses and help in advance.

#6 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

I use coconut coir straight up with ro get a TDS and pH meter check your local water see how high the TDS is anything over 200 I'd use RO. You don't have to though it just means you can't dial in your nutrients but if you do use RO make sure to add cal-mag and don't use to many nutrients it will kill you plants faster than anything. pH 5-7. Nutrient bottles will tell you how much you need cut it in half then go up from there. Dont under or over water if it's wilting and the pot is light to little if it's wilting and it's real heavy could be to much. Coco Coir is pH neutral and is hard to over water. A lifted tray with a drain will be nice so your waste water can just drain into a bucket then you can toss that. Start your seeds in a plug 1/4" down very, very light nuitrients it likes light but have it at a distance after it grows roots put into Dixie cup with holes cut in bottom. After you see roots out of the bottom move to 1 gallon pot until they are half the size you want then again to 3 to 7 12/12 8 weeks or so :p. Make sure they are completely dark for 12 hours.

Edited by Sikfreud, 09 January 2019 - 04:36 PM.

• PJammer24 likes this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:40 PM

So I was planning to build a drainage system to carry away the water, as far as water source I have a place by me that purifies water and is PH balanced. This is my first so soil will be my grow medium, my thought was to buy a preformulated soil designed for this sort of thing. Not sure about the Mylar I've never used it before, is it cheap? Can it be procured at a Home Depot?

As for the water, I would probably put a tarp down or set each pot on top on something that will catch the water if you are concerned.

Mylar is cheap, you can get it at the grow shop but I wouldn't be over concerned with a little light loss on your first grow.

I would just research pest management... You may not have an issue on your first grow but you are going to run into an issue at some point if you continue growing. You want to know how to deal with them when that time comes.

If you are intending on supplementing nutrients when you water, 5 gallons are probably big enough. If you aren't going to supplement nutrients, the soil may be exhausted prior to the plants finishing and I would use at least 7 gallon pots. 

There are so many potential soil mixtures... I like the results of the super soil mixtures but I dont foresee you going that route on your first attempt.... Maybe a Fox Farm Ocean Forest mixed 50-50 with their Happy Frog mixture...

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

I use coconut coir straight up with ro get a TDS and pH meter check your local water see how high the TDS is anything over 200 I'd use RO. You don't have to though it just means you can't dial in your nutrients but if you do use RO make sure to add cal-mag and don't use to many nutrients it will kill you plants faster than anything. pH 5-7. Nutrient bottles will tell you how much you need cut it in half then go up from there. Dont under or over water if it's wilting and the pot is light to little if it's wilting and it's real heavy could be to much. Coco Coir is pH neutral and is hard to over water. A lifted tray with a drain will be nice so your waste water can just drain into a bucket then you can toss that. Start your seeds in a plug 1/4" down very, very light nuitrients it likes light but have it at a distance after it grows roots put into Dixie cup with holes cut in bottom. After you see roots out of the bottom move to 1 gallon pot until they are half the size you want then again to 3 to 7 12/12 8 weeks or so :p. Make sure they are completely dark for 12 hours.

I have friends who have gone the coir route with good success. This is good advice!!

Reefer likes to have dry feet...

Edited by PJammer24, 09 January 2019 - 04:43 PM.

#9 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

You got your water mylar don't worry about, Soil is great until you bring in critters and unwanted fungus. I would recommend Coco for sure even on first grow. The bricks are cheap. I would buy some clothes pots for your final transfer.
Drainage is key don't go to over board keep it easy. Good luck.

Edited by Sikfreud, 09 January 2019 - 04:47 PM.

#10 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:10 PM

Thanks guys, can you post a pic of the coir set up? I've never used coir but am interested.
Lots of good info above, thanks again.

#11 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:19 PM

Also do you have experience with LED lights? How far above plants etc...

#12 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

Hydrate the brick then use just like soil roots love it. I just put a 5kilo brick in a large storage tub then add water I think it's 3 gallons of water break it up. Makes enough for 4- 5 gallon pots you can get the small bricks as well until you are ready for the big ones.

#13 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

You can burn plants with LEDs keep them few feet away there is a sweet spot but make sure they are healthy enough to get the full force. Small plants keep it further get closer as they get bigger. You can kill them with to much light. More is not better sometimes.

#14 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,276 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:03 AM

Wow, great the see you posting a grow!

I will be growing Durban Poison and hopefully some White Widow too.

SoCal outdoor-ish grow.

I will probably start in April.

Edited by Dipole, 24 January 2019 - 01:06 AM.

#15 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,349 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:43 AM

I would recommend panda film if you dont mind spending a little extra money on it. My second option would be to paint everything flat white which can increase your light efficiency up to 90%. Mylar is good but creates hot spots and actually retains moisture which can be problem im some situations. LED lights are not omni-directional and focus all the light energy straight down or at most narrow angles for those fitted with lenses so you wont have to recover as much light as you would with let say a vertical bare CMH for example.

I have been lazy and switched to tap water and my water is very hard averaging near 600 ppm right out of the faucet. I have not changed a thing as far as nutrients and still add the same amount including cal-mag and epsom salt as i did running RO water with no issue. I say lazy but more impatient really as it takes forever to fill 2 5 gallon buckets.

Coir and perlite is excellent. I use coir called Mother Earth and it has been amended and conditioned to handle calcium better then non conditioned coir so they claim anyway. It has also been pasteurized.

If you going to use the cheap coir that comes in bricks or blocks you dont want to just hydrate and run with it. You need to flush all the salt out of it. This can be done just by placing it 5 gallon paint strainer bags and run several gallons of water through it.

Some may say they use bricks and blocks of coir without any issue but in my experience i can tell you 100% your plants will thank you for washing your coir before you use it.

So have you decided on media yet? Someone mentioned already thats its hard to over water coir which is accurate. The root system still requires a short dry period to prevent Pyrethrum or root rot. Plus for a new developing root system, dry period will send the roots searching for water. Large healthy root mass is the foundation to big healthy productive plants.

I would recommend fabric pots also. I grew 4 foot plants in 1 gallons without issues related to root bound. I did have issues with them falling over and having to water 2 times a day.

LED lights, washed coco or coco already formulated for growing cannabis, and fabric pots will set you up for great success. I cant believe that everyone isnt using coco coir. Im going to use it even when i set up my ebb and flow system......im so done with hand watering my pretty little dames.
  • Myc and WolfWhiz like this

#16 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 06:52 PM

White paint is 95% as effective as mylar... always use a soiless medium and liquid ferts never granular... if you can stick with a 2 part fert and not a 3 or 4 part or you chance getting lock up. Are those LED lights I see hanging, they will only be good for 8 hours run time no matter what anyone says or longevity will be seriously decreased. So you will have to run multiple timers and set over lap for lights on and off for the 8 hour heat break. Sunshime mix has always been the best for me... I am in a pot legal state also!

Edited by WolfWhiz, 23 February 2019 - 06:53 PM.

#17 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 06:55 PM

. I cant believe that everyone isnt using coco coir. Im going to use it even when i set up my ebb and flow system......im so done with hand watering my pretty little dames.

I prefer popped lava rocks in hydro.. easier to clean and reuse...  but I run aeroponics exclusively now.,..

• TheObserver and Microbe like this

#18 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:18 PM

For sure the cloth pots and coir are great. Call mag plus is good stuff for soil too but pretty necessary for coir. The myco and bacterial root supplements help a lot. Get great big white Ropy roots. I use canna coco and I love it. Same mix of 2 part through veg and flower and its coco specific. Worth it especially in the 5 liter sized it's like getting a free quart buying singles. Little bit pricey but worth it imo for convenience and quality. 

As stated you will get posts sometime likely spidermites. I would treat occasionally except not later in flower just to make sure you don't get them. Harder than hell to really get rid of. Neem is great for that but azamax is what I have used to get rid of them. Some of the LEDs are rated higher than they really are so it depends on what you got as far as how close to keep them. The cheaper ones are overstated sometimes. They are great though . Good luck with it all. Like mushrooms it can be very easy if you just follow some rules and give it what it needs. It is a weed after all. 

#19 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,112 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

Sharkie, is there a reason you are growing indoors?

Besides the year 'round grow.

Not sure of your situation,are there any outdoor sites?

IMO you can get better yields outdoors.

Nothing wrong with indoor grows.  Just wondering. :smile:

• Dipole likes this

#20 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:33 AM

Sharkie, is there a reason you are growing indoors?
Besides the year 'round grow.
Not sure of your situation,are there any outdoor sites?
IMO you can get better yields outdoors.
Nothing wrong with indoor grows.  Just wondering. :smile:

Bigger yields because the plant can grow deeper and longer... but you will never get outdoor as strong as indoor weed... C02, massive nuts and lots of oxygenation to the root system is a must... but a sea of green is hard to beat for sheer bud weight. Only time we grow outdoors now is for oil production ....

Edited by WolfWhiz, 02 April 2019 - 12:35 AM.

• mushit likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!