• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Drdour145

Drdour145

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

The first time I made grain spawn I used rye berry. The only problem is the people I live with did not like the odors during the pc process. I was wondering if there was other forms of grain that have less or no odor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#2 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...ct-wheat-berry/

That's what I did smells like well wheat bread:p

#3 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

The first time I made grain spawn I used rye berry. The only problem is the people I live with did not like the odors during the pc process. I was wondering if there was other forms of grain that have less or no odor.

Popcorn smells like over-cooking, not quite burnt corn, like on the cob or something. It's really not too bad, but it lasts for a few hours, unless you spray room deodorizer around, and fann the place out.

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

There is going to be a smell associated with any grain you prepare. I think that they will find issue with whichever you use.

• Deleena24, Juthro and Mushinist like this

#5 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:44 PM

Tell them to stop being ass- monkeys. Give them some shroomies and tell them to STFU. I use Red Wheat Berries from Walmart. It is $22 for 26 lbs with free shipping to your nearest Wal-Mart. It smells like bread/burnt dough.

The other option is to go to Wal-Mart and buy a two burner propane stove. Put that sucker outside or on your patio of you have one. They're like $25 and use the little green propane bottles. 1x propane bottle will get you a full PC session. I say get the double burner because it is bigger and can hold more weight.

Edited by MysticalMyco, 09 January 2019 - 05:49 PM.

• raymycoto, Mushinist, Sikfreud and 1 other like this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,358 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:20 PM

I use my PC a lot for canning food, and pretty much anything you process through it it has some kind of smell.  If they don't like rye berries, think how they would react to a couple of canner loads of smoked salmon, lol.

I dont think your going to find any kind of grain that is completely odorless.   Haters are going to hate, I don't know anyway around that.

#7 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

I dont think your going to find any kind of grain that is completely odorless.  

Yeah, even brf cakes smell doughy when pcing, I love that smell, but the hints of cooking vermiculite make it not as good lol.

#8 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 158 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:40 PM

There's always going to be a smell. Personally I love the smell of PC'ing grains in the middle of the night, which might be your only option if its a serious problem, either do it while they're sleeping or while they are gone and then use a ton of air freshener or an ozone generator to knock the smell down.
Cook up some wood, it'll smell like you have a fireplace!
  • Billcoz likes this

#9 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 636 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

one member  said his wife complained tell he  put a cinnamonn stick in water bottom of PC  or some fresh mint .

mmmmmmmmmmmm  smells good

• Billcoz and Drdour145 like this

#10 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

Damnit bezevo I was going to suggest that earlier but thought it would be met with ridicule.

From now on I shall post my ideas no matter how weird or odd they seem. Ty for the courage LMAO
  • Juthro, Billcoz and Drdour145 like this

#11 Drdour145

Drdour145

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:59 PM

one member said his wife complained tell he put a cinnamonn stick in water bottom of PC or some fresh mint .

mmmmmmmmmmmm smells good

Can I do add cinnamon when I'm boiling the grain to sterilize and moisturize the grain and then again when I pc my jars? Probably my only concern would be if it would cause any contamination or disturb the inoculation process.

#12 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 636 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:36 PM

don't add cinnamon to your grain ...  i am not 100% it would hurt it but i use cinnamon to   stop or protect against bacteria /mold/rot spots on cactus so am certain it has some anti microbial and possible anti fungal property's

i was saying put a solid stick in water in bottom of pc full of grain jars .( not ground/makes mess) ..smells nice .like cookies

fresh mint leaves in water in bottom of PC SMELLS NICE  but do not put  in grain or poo

if you want boil cinnamon in separate pan to make nice smell. go for it again i suggest a stick , not ground makes big mess  , don't add to grain or poo

you can use a separate  smaller pan with mint or  cinnamon stick also while oven pasteurizing  poo ecct, 

not in the substrate your pasteurizing ,,, separate pan of water doh 

Edited by bezevo, 10 January 2019 - 08:46 PM.

• Billcoz and Drdour145 like this

#13 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,128 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

I think Oats are about best smelling of all the grains. No one asks me WTF I'm cooking when I'm doing oats. I have noticed that once you turn the heat off on the PC the grain smell gets worse, perhaps letting the PC cool outside could make it better for the others in the house. While we are on the subject though, I'm gonna add to essential oil to the water and see if that helps. Will report back later.

• MysticalMyco, Billcoz and Drdour145 like this

#14 Drdour145

Drdour145

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

I'm definitely just going to pc outside with a propane burner and add cinnamon at the bottom water! Thank you guys hopefully people don't complain haha

• Deleena24 and Billcoz like this

#15 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:10 AM

"...I'm gonna add to essential oil to the water..."

I have some gorilla glue terps from a mj dispensary here in Mich. That would add a pleasant smell to the pc/house.

Edited by Billcoz, 12 January 2019 - 05:11 AM.

• Drdour145 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!